• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the best EMU in Britain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Agreed, it's the 365, end of. ;)
 
Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Anything but a 323 <D [/predictable]

No, seriously, I have been on all current EMU classess except for 379 and 460. For me, the stand-out class is the 442; the 444 pushes it closest. Honourable mentions go to the 350, 357 (:shock:), 380 and 395.

At the other end of the scale, anything numbered 313 to 323 inclusive should be scrapped, as should the 465 and 466. For some reason though, I quite like the 507 and 508 - probably because their interior layout is that much better.
 

Charlie2555

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
144
Location
Near Gillingham (Dorset)
I must say every EMU I've been on has very hard uncomfortable seats. However if I had to choose I would say the Class 375 (fast and comparatively comfortable)
I like the older EMUs Classes 313, 315, 317, 455 as they have more character and history than more modern varieties in my opinion.

And I've just been on a Class 350 and I HATE <( the announcer's voice on them! She sounds so dull and bored and some of her pronounciations are a bit odd.
 

F1Ken

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
41
What about the lovely old 312's! God how I miss those.

I'm getting nostalgic!

Ken
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I intended to be controversial - i shall say the class 39.

They are fantastic engineering feats, reliable, fast but they are hamstrung by poor widows and bad internal specification
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I can't really give a balanced opinion, since the only EMUs that I have been on are 313,323,350,377,390 and 508. So in order from worst to best I'd put them as follows: 313,350,323,508,377,390.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Definitely 442. Beats 444/450 hands down when it comes to ambiance, ride comfort and seat comfort. I also prefer the noise of the old English Electric traction motors.
 

150001

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
492
Tough one, but the 460s and 332s are excellent units. Plus the 323s for commuter services!
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Plus the 323s for commuter services!

Why...? :| Nasty, horrible, cramped things. The common line is they sound like an F1 car, which is true - if said car is in the process of blowing its engine.

We as a forum haven't had a good all-on-Ivo 323 debate for a while :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What about the lovely old 312's! God how I miss those.

+1 for the 312 :)
 

TheJRB

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2011
Messages
1,208
Location
Ashford, Kent
For me it's definitely the 395s. They're somewhat unique still, I find them comfortable and they're still quite impressive on the "traditional" slow lines in Kent.
 

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,370
From a guard's perspective I've always favoured the 455s and 458s over SWT's Desiro fleet. Found them to be far less hassle to operate journeys to be a lot more enjoyable. :)
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,851
Location
Epsom
Of the current* fleet:

Medium distance: 444

Local distance: 323 ( though I like them best on the fast Crewe - Manchester runs for the ride sensations )

Getting there fast: 395 ( vastly better than the 390s )


*Excuse the pun!
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,851
Location
Epsom
everyones chosing these modern things

I much prefer the older things, but so much choice... that's why I put the "from the current fleet" bit in front of my answers.

Of the old SR stuff, nothing could beat a 4-REP at full speed, especially if the bogies were slightly overdue.... :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top