For a longer journey, comfort is essential but if you're on a metro service, the seats on the EL, Thameslink etc are fine.
But I would argue that Thameslink in particular (as I know that better) is not a metro service. Bedford to Brighton is some 2 hrs 30 minutes travelling time - that's basically an intercity time and distance to travel on an unpleasantly hard seat....For a longer journey, comfort is essential but if you're on a metro service, the seats on the EL, Thameslink etc are fine.
But I would argue that Thameslink in particular (as I know that better) is not a metro service. Bedford to Brighton is some 2 hrs 30 minutes travelling time - that's basically an intercity time and distance to travel on an unpleasantly hard seat....
leaving the more cramped seating for the majority who are making shorter commuting trips.
cost !Is there a reason why so many modern train seats have such low amounts of padding?
I seem to remember reading that it was something to do with fire safety but there are several fire-safe materials that decent padding could be manufactured from so surely it can’t just be that?
Probably more laziness from the builders and DfT as a slight bit more creates a much better productcost !
You must be joking!!158s and 159s with original seating in airline have great legroom
I'll be honest I've almost never sat in airline seats on 158s but they seemed fine compared to the bay tables on those trains, and the airline seats on many other trains which are the same or worse. Only the Desiros, 175s and 180s, IETs and Stadlers have better airline legroom really.You must be joking!!