• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is Ellesmere Port like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rm88

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2013
Messages
69
Location
Sandbach
I might be moving to Ellesmere Port next week at the earliest and from what I have seen of the place, it looks a bit dead to me. Last time I went there about 3 years ago I could not wait to get back on that train because I was that bored after 10 minutes, lol. The thing is I don't have any other choice but to live there at the moment. What do the locals call it "Tin Town" I think the port has the most number of prefab houses in any one town. A town is what people make of it I suppose and the port just needs a bit of life. From what I heard the KFC and Mcdonalds on the high street have gone.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bushy

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2012
Messages
180
Location
Kent
I might be moving to Ellesmere Port next week at the earliest and from what I have seen of the place, it looks a bit dead to me. Last time I went there about 3 years ago I could not wait to get back on that train because I was that bored after 10 minutes, lol. The thing is I don't have any other choice but to live there at the moment. What do the locals call it "Tin Town" I think the port has the most number of prefab houses in any one town. A town is what people make of it I suppose and the port just needs a bit of life. From what I heard the KFC and Mcdonalds on the high street have gone.

I have only ever visited by canal and didn't visit the town. The Waterways Museum is interesting but there's probably a limit to the number of visits you would want to make. Cheshire Oaks is not far, if you like shopping. Having said that, we live within walking distance of a McArthur Glen Outlet and rarely go.

Regards

Bushy
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
I might be moving to Ellesmere Port next week at the earliest and from what I have seen of the place, it looks a bit dead to me. Last time I went there about 3 years ago I could not wait to get back on that train because I was that bored after 10 minutes, lol. The thing is I don't have any other choice but to live there at the moment. What do the locals call it "Tin Town" I think the port has the most number of prefab houses in any one town. A town is what people make of it I suppose and the port just needs a bit of life. From what I heard the KFC and Mcdonalds on the high street have gone.

Ellesmere Port town center is a bit crappy in terms of business, KFC and Maccy's are gone, the furniture shop on the corner opposite Lloyds bank was Maccy's, across the road is KFC which is boarded up still, Horrible place it was. There used to be a lot of shops, and it still has all it's amenities, but a lot of them are gone. Moving further out of the town is a lot lot lot nicer. As an aside, we have a great library, a nice market and a great selection of supermarkets. There are shedloads of chip shops and kebab houses, I can tell you which ones to avoid if you like.

The people are generally ok, there are obviously scallies about but thats to be expected, but they are generally ok people. As I say though, the further out you get, the nicer the people are. Myself I'm located on the very edge bordering Capenhurst village and it's lovely round here. It's best to avoid the 'Wessy' estate, which is the housing estates opposite the big Home and Bargins and Halfords, and it's also best to avoid Princess road, the road opposite the station with the tool hire on the corner. Cheshire oaks is very nice as well, there are obviously the shops, but the houses and area is quite new.

I could tell you a load more, but I can't think right now but feel free to send me a PM. :)
 

rm88

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2013
Messages
69
Location
Sandbach
I lived in chester all my life and thats become boring, loads of tesco expresses and a mini waitrose. Just supermarket city now lol.

Sandbach is also boring, I end up going to crewe all the time, but the walk into crewe is a drag from the station so i end up getting the 37 bus.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top