And don't upset the CME, either ....
"Okay, boss, I expect you want me to drive this to Edinburgh?"
"Why, no, I expect you to ..... (you know the rest!)"
"I'm sixty - double-0 - seven.
The name's Gresley. Nigel Gresley."
And don't upset the CME, either ....
"Okay, boss, I expect you want me to drive this to Edinburgh?"
"Why, no, I expect you to ..... (you know the rest!)"
The deployment of the Bulleid pacifics certainly was strange - when you consider they were still using N15s and Standard 5s on North Kent route expresses until electrification!
but I was under the impression that the 2-coach trains with Bulleids trundling into Padstow or Barnstaple or wherever were just the final stretch of the express from Waterloo, after half a dozen portions has been taken off (usually hauled by T9s, Ns or Us - far more modest motive power.)
I seem to recall reading that the frames were bent in the collision; if that is correct and the frames of the more visually damaged other locomotive were not bent it could explain why that one was rebuilt while 46202 was not.
46242 photo after Harrow:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/64518...gxh-8quDer-e1RaZJ-pbne53-su7yHg-sJfy1G-foSCmS
(Hope this rather long link works - if not google flickr / 46242 photos.)
I don't think it was an anachronism at all, from what I understand it was a massive leap forward in the efficient use of steam, it's just a shame that the firebox (or ashpan) draughting and some other details let it down.
Two significant construction errors were discovered during restoration:
- The chimney was too small compared with other locomotives of similar size, resulting in poor boiler draughting at times of high steam demand.[16]
- The firebed (grate) air inlet dampers had not been built to the drawings; they were too small, resulting in poor air supply and inefficient combustion.[16]
These errors were corrected and the opportunity taken to incorporate some other improvements, including the previously recommended Kylchap exhaust system (cont...)
The best names were the A1/A3 Derby winners, without doubt. Dukes and such are just boring! There are lots more to choose from. "Airborne", "Nimbus", "Galcador", "Kingcraft" ... I could go on for hours. Maybe not "Santa Claus" or "My Love" though!