• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happens on a nightbus serving Wythenshawe

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
MEN said:
Footage has emerged of a girl’s vile race-hate rant as she threw punches at a fellow passenger while trying to hold on to her tray of chips.

The mobile phone video was filmed at around 5am on a bus from Piccadilly Gardens to Wythenshawe and shows the woman and a male pal calling two men ‘Spanish c****’ as well as hurling homophobic abuse.

One of the retreating men then returns to aim kicks at his male attacker as stunned passengers watch on.

The shocking 56-second video ends as the foul-mouthed man spits down the stairs from the upper deck.

The incident starts with a verbal exchange at the back of the bus before the woman lunges towards one of the men - throwing punches and spilling her portion of chips.

The retreating pair are then targeted by another man - who believed they were Spanish and accuses them of trying to hit a woman.

The scuffle has been viewed by more than 1,000 people since being posted online on the day of the attack.

Ross Thompson, 23 - who filmed the melee - said the group had been spoiling for a fight on the south Manchester-bound bus.

He said: “The two girls in the video were drunk and mouthing off at anyone and everyone, then hiding behind the guys they were with.

“The guy had dried blood on his face before he even got on the bus.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ws/watch-shocking-race-hate-rant-girl-8656238

I'm surprised operators are happy to run buses to Wythenshawe in the early hours of the morning.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ECML180

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
518
Location
Doncaster
I'm surprised:
a) 5am is night now
b) People on a night out (presumably) are still indeed out!

What is the world coming to?!
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I'm surprised:
a) 5am is night now
b) People on a night out (presumably) are still indeed out!

What is the world coming to?!

Licensing laws used to make pubs close no later than 11pm and nightclubs close no later than 2am. Then came along 24 hour licensing - I think the main aim was to try and prevent everywhere closing at the same time but it was found not to achieve many benefits in larger towns and cities but beneficial to smaller town and cities.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm guessing this is the infamous 43. Not nice behaviour at all.

The 43 bus does appear to the only bus that operates between Manchester and Wythenshawe at that time in the morning.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ECML180

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
518
Location
Doncaster
Licensing laws used to make pubs close no later than 11pm and nightclubs close no later than 2am. Then came along 24 hour licensing - I think the main aim was to try and prevent everywhere closing at the same time but it was found not to achieve many benefits in larger towns and cities but beneficial to smaller town and cities.

Still surprises me as everywhere near me closes at 3.30am latest!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,656
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
and allow chips onboard

The two are probably connected. Operators probably run the buses because they are profitable. Drivers would probably rather they didn't, and I would imagine keep their head down and drive, paying little attention to fare-dodging and taking on board of normally prohibited items, otherwise they may feel they are putting themselves at risk of assault.

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Licensing laws used to make pubs close no later than 11pm and nightclubs close no later than 2am. Then came along 24 hour licensing - I think the main aim was to try and prevent everywhere closing at the same time but it was found not to achieve many benefits in larger towns and cities but beneficial to smaller town and cities.

I think it's not made a massive amount of difference to very much, to be honest, other than letting me have 2 pints in the pub after an evening activity rather than 1 (and even that depends which pub we go to, as one we do at times still closes at 11 anyway). It's pre-loading (which has not a lot of relevance to licensing laws, unless you get onto minimum pricing or restrictions on off-sales) that is the biggest issue, as it results in people starting the night out drunk, and thus being more drunk at the end.

Neil
 
Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,739
Location
Yorkshire
Licensing laws used to make pubs close no later than 11pm and nightclubs close no later than 2am. Then came along 24 hour licensing - I think the main aim was to try and prevent everywhere closing at the same time but it was found not to achieve many benefits in larger towns and cities but beneficial to smaller town and cities.

To add to this, places could get later licences than this, but the presumption was most places would not and it could be very hard to get them. Manchester was a test-bed area for having late licenses much more easily available. I used to go to a club that was open until 7 or 8am - before the late license the bar switched to soft drinks only at 2am, after that they continued to sell alcohol. It was a place I would have been unable to visit easily with a taxi home being around 50 quid 15-20 years ago and a day bus ticket all the way home being about £2 (though I did tend to nod off on the two 45 minute bus journeys).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know the 43 runs 24-hourly. Not sure about the 105, though.

First bus os 0302, running hourly initially, last is 2305 - so looks like it's not intended primarily as a nightbus but will be useful for some.


http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...nlQL1dBgT9iQTIYmPLEqZJw&bvm=bv.85970519,d.ZGU
 

neilmc

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2011
Messages
1,070
I'm not convinced that Stagecoach would desire to run night buses to Wythenshawe were it not for the fact that Manchester Airport is more or less a 24-hour airport and the 43 and 105 pass through Wythenshawe on the way.

I was grateful for the 43 when I landed from Turkey at two in the morning; over the years we have literally saved hundreds of pounds in taxi fares by using the 43 at odd hours. And I wouldn't consider a bus service at 05.00 to be a night service anyway, more an early workers (and air passengers) facility, but unfortunately some clubbers are still out at that time.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
I'm not convinced that Stagecoach would desire to run night buses to Wythenshawe were it not for the fact that Manchester Airport is more or less a 24-hour airport and the 43 and 105 pass through Wythenshawe on the way.

I was grateful for the 43 when I landed from Turkey at two in the morning; over the years we have literally saved hundreds of pounds in taxi fares by using the 43 at odd hours. And I wouldn't consider a bus service at 05.00 to be a night service anyway, more an early workers (and air passengers) facility, but unfortunately some clubbers are still out at that time.

Although Wythenshawe isn't the most glamorous of areas, it still has a population of 86,000 and of course it lies close to the airport, so I think bus links are important at all hours of the day.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
Here are some stills of the individuals - someone must recognise them?

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • suspects.png
    suspects.png
    559.5 KB · Views: 156

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Although Wythenshawe isn't the most glamorous of areas, it still has a population of 86,000 and of course it lies close to the airport, so I think bus links are important at all hours of the day.

There does need early bus services to be early buses to the Airport. If there's not enough baggage handlers there then the 6am departures won't depart at 6am.

The issue I think is the bus running Central Manchester-Wythenshawe which attracts the undesirables rather than running Wythenshawe-Airport which would probably be used by people getting to early jobs at the Airport.
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
There does need early bus services to be early buses to the Airport. If there's not enough baggage handlers there then the 6am departures won't depart at 6am.

The issue I think is the bus running Central Manchester-Wythenshawe which attracts the undesirables rather than running Wythenshawe-Airport which would probably be used by people getting to early jobs at the Airport.

assuming that the ground staff live in Wythenshawe and not further north
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Police are saying the incident hasn't been formally reported:

MEN said:
Chief Inspector Mark Kenny said: “At this moment in time, the incident has not been reported to police and no crime has been submitted. However, the images in the video are quite clearly disturbing and the language used is not acceptable.

“All crime motivated by hate is abhorrent and we treat all reports extremely seriously. So far, no one has come forward to say they been a victim of an assault or they have witnessed a crime. I would ask anyone who may have been on the bus at the time to phone police and appeal to those who are in the video to get in touch as soon as possible.”

Police are now appealing for witnesses to come forward.

The probe comes after two of the people caught on camera contacted the M.E.N to say they were the victims in the incident.

Louise Pare, 22, is one of the girls at the centre of the video. She defended her actions and told the M.E.N she was the victim in the bust-up, which happened in the early hours of Thursday.

Louise, who is unemployed and lives in Wythenshawe, said: “I am not a racist.

“Then they turned on me and I just retaliated. The footage does not tell the whole story but I am not a racist. Some people were shouting but I did not shout anything racist.”

“I just want people to know that I did not hit anyone and I am not racist. I have black people in my family and would never say anything racist.”

The brawl also involved a 24-year-old man called Warren who yesterday told the M.E.N. he got involved to act as peacemaker.

The video was filmed on a mobile phone by 23-year-old doorman Ross Thompson who said Warren and the female passenger shown on the video had been acting aggressively before the incident.

He said: “I’m not sure what started the argument but the guy was shouting and arguing relentlessly with people even before we got on the bus.

“The girls were mouthing off at anyone and everyone, then hiding behind the guys they were with.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ice-investigate-bus-brawl-wythenshawe-8664984
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ECML180

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
518
Location
Doncaster
assuming that the ground staff live in Wythenshawe and not further north

I'd imagine an airport as big and busy as Manchester would be able to justify dedicated workers buses serving only where required and with reasonable efficiency. Then again they would have to pay for it!
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I'd imagine an airport as big and busy as Manchester would be able to justify dedicated workers buses serving only where required and with reasonable efficiency. Then again they would have to pay for it!

There is a contract with Selwyns to transport flight crews between the Airport and hotels. I don't know of any contract for ground staff.
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
You can always tell if someone is racist, they say
'I am not a racist'
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,739
Location
Yorkshire
I'd imagine an airport as big and busy as Manchester would be able to justify dedicated workers buses serving only where required and with reasonable efficiency. Then again they would have to pay for it!

And yet both Heathrow and Gatwick have discounted travel schemes for airport workers to use normal local buses. Which presumably they pay the bus companies for. I'm guessing this is cheaper than providing dedicated buses.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,656
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
And yet both Heathrow and Gatwick have discounted travel schemes for airport workers to use normal local buses. Which presumably they pay the bus companies for. I'm guessing this is cheaper than providing dedicated buses.

Crikey, double-subsidy; TfL buses are cheap as it is!

Is assistance with commuting of this nature not a taxable benefit?

Neil
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,739
Location
Yorkshire
Crikey, double-subsidy; TfL buses are cheap as it is!

Is assistance with commuting of this nature not a taxable benefit?

Neil

It doesn't only cover TfL buses.

I'm not sure, but I'm fairly sure providing dedicated buses is - that's what caused Boots in Nottingham to stop providing the dozens of dedicated buses they contracted in the late 90s.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
In some other countries, travel to work by bus/train can attract tax relief. In Belgium, a lot of people get their train fares paid by their employer, with the government paying a big proportion of the fare. I think all public sector employees or at least civil servants get free travel.
 

howittpie

Member
Joined
11 May 2012
Messages
329
I used the 43 nightbus 5 days a week from Picadilly through to the Airport for 2 years and in that time saw trouble once. It was very lively on a weekend. You have to remember not only does it serve the Airport b ut also serves the student areas on the way. Airport workers travelled from as far rusholme Rusholme and at certain times the bus leaves Manchester full and arrives at the Airport full.

From my experience the drivers were very strict with fares and passes and didn't stand any messing around.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Another incident on a Stagecoach Manchester bus

Manchester Evening News said:
Man exposes himself to bus passengers on top deck of 192 service

This is the man police want to speak to after a bus passenger exposed himself on the top deck of the 192 service.

Officers have released the image after two reports of a man committing a lewd act on the service to and from Longsight in Manchester.

In the first incident a man boarded the 192 at Stockport Road around 10.50pm on Friday, January 30.

He went up to the top deck and began speaking to two women.

He first asked if they would take a photo of him and then if he could take a photo of them.

Minutes later, he committed a lewd act before getting off at Piccadilly Gardens.

At around 11.25pm the same night, a man caught the return 192 service back to Longsight.

He walked past a female passenger and touched her leg before sitting behind her.

He then moved seats so she could see him and again committed a lewd act before getting off the bus at Stockport Road.

Detective Constable Dan Smith said: “The bus is very busy at this time of night and we believe there would have been a number of people on it.

“I would ask anyone who may have witnessed what happened to call us.

“We are also keen to hear from anyone who recognises the man in the still to come forward.

“I would make a direct appeal to the man himself to contact us and eliminate you from our enquiries.”

Anyone with information should phone police on 0161 856 3229 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...r-news/192-bus-manchester-man-exposed-8840736
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top