• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What happened at Southampton yesterday evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebottle

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
191
An ex colleague of mine wants to know why the police were all over Southampton Central last night (20 July). I can't find any news references to anything going off but apparently there were armed response officers everywhere. Train searches and platform evacuations too. Info is second hand so may not be totally accurate but something was going on.

Anyone know?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluebottle

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
191
I'm going by Facebook posts, here are the two relevant ones.

"Does anyone know what happened at Southampton train station last night? Lots of armed police was a suprising sight, and the news sites are saying nothing!"

"Definitiely not a suicide, they were stopping all the trains, evacuating the platform, and Caz's train had armed police running up and down it searching the toilets. I've seen police at the station before, but this was NOT run of the mill!
about an hour ago"

I've asked when this was, I'll update when I find out.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
1915 he says. At that time the station was closed with armed police and sniffer dogs everywhere.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
Terrorist incident or something similar im guessing
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Nothing on Twitter either, only people asking what's going on
 

bluebottle

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
191
Only news item remotely related is a suspicious death in a Southampton flat. But that was saturday.
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
I did a Google search and the only relevant result I found was this thread.
 
Joined
6 May 2009
Messages
93
Location
Hampshire
I can answer this one:D. BTP requested that 2B68 1752 Pool to Waterloo be held at Southampton in connection with a knife crime (stabbing) which had taken place in the Bournemouth area. Train arrived at 1918 and departed 1939. Hope this helps.
 

The Snap

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
3,156
I expect they had found a trainspotter :roll:

"OMG that man's got a camera and a notebook - he must be a terrorist! Get hiiiiiimmmm!"

:roll::lol:

I can answer this one:D. BTP requested that 2B68 1752 Pool to Waterloo be held at Southampton in connection with a knife crime (stabbing) which had taken place in the Bournemouth area. Train arrived at 1918 and departed 1939. Hope this helps.

And this required armed police? I didn't think armed police were needed to dis-arm someone with a knife?
 

bluenoxid

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
2,663
Armed police are used where neccesary. If someone has just stabbed someone, are they likely to do it again? Yes they are and the guns are sent in to reduce the chance of it happening. We have enough knife deaths as it is at the moment.
 

bluebottle

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
191
I can answer this one:D. BTP requested that 2B68 1752 Pool to Waterloo be held at Southampton in connection with a knife crime (stabbing) which had taken place in the Bournemouth area. Train arrived at 1918 and departed 1939. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll pass that on.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
I can answer this one:D. BTP requested that 2B68 1752 Pool to Waterloo be held at Southampton in connection with a knife crime (stabbing) which had taken place in the Bournemouth area. Train arrived at 1918 and departed 1939. Hope this helps.
Yikes... Had heard nothing of this yet i was back in eastleigh on monday...

though i can tell you what happend last night at sotton central...nothing as major as this...more happier actually...

WCRC 37706 rattled the station on its way back from Motola to Southall...:lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top