northwichcat
Veteran Member
Other than faster journey times you mean?
The 185 matches the times on Hull - Manchester but beats them on three other North TPE routes.
Hull-Manchester and Cleethorpes-Manchester Airport services were the only routes I said 185s had effectively failed to deliver on. Now you're arguing that the 185s can go faster on other North TPE routes. I didn't feel I needed to repeat the exact same point in 3 different posts but you obviously missed it as I didn't do that.
Indeed they could save even more time on all three because they sit at Leeds and York each for around five minutes (previously only a minute or two booked). ... I also wonder if having something that accelerates slower than a 185 wouldn't have an impact on the ECML.
Or just do what happened on the WCML when 100mph 185s took over from 110mph 220s north of Preston to prevent pathing problems? Have much shorter dwell times?
After all wasn't the other main bid planning on using 4-car 180s?
Arriva did an image in their bid of something resembling a modern 125mph capable 4 carriage train. As it didn't go out to tender it could have been anything from any manufacturer. Given the reliability problems of the Cordia family were very bad around the time the new TPE franchise went out to tender I doubt Arriva would have ordered 180s.
Didn't Arriva also propose having South TPE services running to Blackpool meaning passenger comfort would have been higher priority?