• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does “Not Available” actually mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy33gmail

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2025
Messages
302
Location
cambridgeshire
One already got advance singles to Liverpool Street for this Wednesday, normally I walk to work and back

To mix it up I thought I’d investigate doing the tiny little Thameslink to Blackfriars

Having realised it’s as slow as walking and costs the price of a small castle, I won’t be … or I’ll tap in/out for £2.90

But that aside … why would tickets not be available? I only normally see this for when I try to book a ticket for a train that’s “too soon” - which needlessly forces me to get the correct ticket by picking the next train

Best guess is it’s a requirement for paper tickets only to make short-ticketing harder?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2164.png
    IMG_2164.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 150
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I don't think point-to-point fares are available as it involves Elizabeth line core, so you will be looking at the paper version of the Underground single cash fare, at £7.00 each way, which I think can only be retailed at ticket offices and not online (but can be wrong).
 

OscarH

Established Member
Joined
15 Sep 2020
Messages
1,288
Location
Crawley
Are all those journeys Elizabeth Line to Farringdon and Thameslink from there?

The £14 fare (2x £7 singles) should be available, they can be sold online
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Farringdon to Blackfriars should be retailed at £4.10 surely?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
There are some strange ticket offerings being put up for this journey. The 0917 itinerary appears to be for a change at Whitechapel then via the Underground, which should be covered by a £7 single but being retailed at £14 by The Trainline? If I put an enquiry into NRE, there is a variety of routings being offered including via Whitechapel XR above (correctly at £7), via Farringdon XR (£8.20(?) for an SDS), and directly via the Underground (again correctly at £7).

Not sure what is going on here but to say it is a mess is not an exaggeration. The Trainline seem to prefer to route the passenger via the Underground between Liverpool Street and Farringdon, but even so the £7 fare should be valid too, not throwing up either no fare (possibly understandable if Route 998 fares cannot be retailed online) or worse, a misleading offering of £14.

Then there is the curious variety of contactless fares being indicated on NRE for the variety of routes stated above ranging from £2.90 to £5.90 when the peak fare of £2.90 (off-peak £2.80) should be valid on all options.
 

andy33gmail

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2025
Messages
302
Location
cambridgeshire
Weirdly if I do it via Splitticketing it comes as two singles (£7 + £7)

If I explicitly ask for Liverpool Street to Farringdon and Farringdon to Blackfriars I get the same

If I do them separately on TheTrainLine I get £7+£4.10

And on TFL’s journey planner, it tells me to do one
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,566
Location
Hampshire
I think the moral is:

Don't try to do anything fancy in Zone 1 unless you have money to burn.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top