• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"What do you know about the role of a train driver?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanE1991

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2016
Messages
25
Location
Colchester
Hi all

Just looking for a pointer in the right direction regarding this question and how to answer it properly.

Are they looking for you to tell them about the competency side of things such as "I know the role of a train driver would involve remaining vigilant at all times" etc etc

or do they actually want you to describe to them what you think a day in the life of a train driver would involve such as " I know the role of a train driver would involve signing on at the start of the shift, checking safety notices" etc etc

not looking for you guys to answer the question for me, just need to know how to answer it in the correct way is all.

cheers
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

332 > 444

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2007
Messages
532
Location
London
I would combine both, at the end of the day neither way is incorrect but remember to mention customer service. It is if you don't even know the role whatsoever, that's when they'll have raised eyebrows.

You preparing for Greater Anglia? Looking at past threads on their DMI, it seems it's less competency based and centered on the application so remember it.
 
Last edited:

RyanE1991

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2016
Messages
25
Location
Colchester
I would combine both, at the end of the day neither way is incorrect but remember to mentice customer service. It is if you don't even know the role whatsoever, that's when they'll have raised eyebrows.

You preparing for Greater Anglia? Looking at past threads on their DMI, it seems it's less competency based and centered on the application so remember it.

Thanks, yeah I did think it could be a combination of the two.

I am prepping for my Greater Anglia DMI yes, to be honest I'm feeling more apprehensive about this interview then I was for the MMI... at least with the MMI you get a rough idea of what sort of questions will be asked so you can prepare, whereas I get the impression they can throw out some proper curveball questions on the DMI.

Hopefully it wont be too bad though.
 

Davysera

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2017
Messages
28
Thanks, yeah I did think it could be a combination of the two.

I am prepping for my Greater Anglia DMI yes, to be honest I'm feeling more apprehensive about this interview then I was for the MMI... at least with the MMI you get a rough idea of what sort of questions will be asked so you can prepare, whereas I get the impression they can throw out some proper curveball questions on the DMI.

Hopefully it wont be too bad though.

Do you have a date for your DMI?
Is this for their last recruitment advertising?
 

RyanE1991

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2016
Messages
25
Location
Colchester
Do you have a date for your DMI?
Is this for their last recruitment advertising?

I haven't been given a date for DMI yet, haven't even got a rough clue as to when it might be. Yes this is for the most recent recruitment advertising.
 

dazzayid

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2014
Messages
90
I had a DMI with southern, I wrote all the questions down when I got out of the interview, I know they may be different as it's a diff Toc but if u want them pm me and will send them. Will give u some sort of idea.
 
Last edited:

sw1ller

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2013
Messages
1,567
I did a mixture of both on mine. I used the fact I was a lorry driver and adapted it from there. Seemed to work as I'm hoping to pass out to a regular driver tomorrow. (no more trainee) Try to start with how you would prepare for the days shift, good nights sleep, prepared uniform, time of shift, booking on, daily duties, booking off and then preparing for your next shift.

This is just a guide, there are plenty of blanks for you to fill in there when you read between the lines.

Good luck
 

LETHLFH

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2015
Messages
140
I would also mention your understanding of large responsibility, positive attitude to rules and regs, how you would cope with lifestyle (shift work etc)
Question is so open you can spin it round and highlight all of your skills and attributes.
 

KourosLloyd

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2017
Messages
20
I had a DMI with southern, I wrote all the questions down when I got out of the interview, I know they may be different as it's a diff Toc but if u want them pm me and will send them. Will give u some sort of idea.i

I have an assessment day with Southern in March and I'm quite nervous and not really knowing what to expect difficulty level wise. I've been working through the practice books regularly but I'm not sure how close to that it is and what the fail marks are etc. When did you do your assessment day if you don't mind me asking? How intense was it throughout the day? Cheers in advance, really appreciated!
 

Loulou

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2017
Messages
35
I have an assessment day with Southern in March and I'm quite nervous and not really knowing what to expect difficulty level wise. I've been working through the practice books regularly but I'm not sure how close to that it is and what the fail marks are etc. When did you do your assessment day if you don't mind me asking? How intense was it throughout the day? Cheers in advance, really appreciated!

Hi
I passed my assessment day for southern on Thursday ( one of 3 hurdles lol ) my advice is go through All the material they send you , I did not download group bourdon tests I simply practiced with the material they sent me ( which is letters ) , tbh if your naturally good at it you will pass , some will some won't , keep a cool head on for the day it's not as bad as you imagine , it's tough but I believe if you can keep calm under pressure you will do well , sounds mad but as I was walking to the assessment centre I just thought blimey ! Sort yourself out girl ,I've made it this far already , they must of seen some sort of talent in me to invite and start investing money in me ! .. go for it .. I did . Stay positive & good luck :)
 

KourosLloyd

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2017
Messages
20
Hi
I passed my assessment day for southern on Thursday ( one of 3 hurdles lol ) my advice is go through All the material they send you , I did not download group bourdon tests I simply practiced with the material they sent me ( which is letters ) , tbh if your naturally good at it you will pass , some will some won't , keep a cool head on for the day it's not as bad as you imagine , it's tough but I believe if you can keep calm under pressure you will do well , sounds mad but as I was walking to the assessment centre I just thought blimey ! Sort yourself out girl ,I've made it this far already , they must of seen some sort of talent in me to invite and start investing money in me ! .. go for it .. I did . Stay positive & good luck :)

Awesome really well done! Love seeing people smash it, even more so when I can feel the excitement of it too! Have you been given a start date now or have you got to do the medical and stuff first? Also, great advice so thank you for that, really helped ease my mind and helps me focus on it in a more positive way!
 

Loulou

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2017
Messages
35
Awesome really well done! Love seeing people smash it, even more so when I can feel the excitement of it too! Have you been given a start date now or have you got to do the medical and stuff first? Also, great advice so thank you for that, really helped ease my mind and helps me focus on it in a more positive way!

Still got the DMI & MMI to go , ( I'm still ****ting it lol ! ) it's not an easy process & to be falr that's how it should be , don't get me wrong I'm literally dying to get out of my current job .. However I understand this role is of upmost importance.. how many roles are out there that you only get 2 chances at ! .. it's a role to be proud of , in time to come I'd love to say ... boom I'm a train driver !!! Eeeekkk ... it's tough but people obv make it through somehow some way ! ... I can only think to myself that keeping positive helped me get through that first day somehow , don't get me wrong I'm now constantly thinking ahead to the next parts .. only time will tell .. what will be , will be best of luck &
Good luck & good luck to all in this almost limbo posistion :)
 

KourosLloyd

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2017
Messages
20
Still got the DMI & MMI to go , ( I'm still ****ting it lol ! ) it's not an easy process & to be falr that's how it should be , don't get me wrong I'm literally dying to get out of my current job .. However I understand this role is of upmost importance.. how many roles are out there that you only get 2 chances at ! .. it's a role to be proud of , in time to come I'd love to say ... boom I'm a train driver !!! Eeeekkk ... it's tough but people obv make it through somehow some way ! ... I can only think to myself that keeping positive helped me get through that first day somehow , don't get me wrong I'm now constantly thinking ahead to the next parts .. only time will tell .. what will be , will be best of luck &
Good luck & good luck to all in this almost limbo posistion :)

You got long to wait until you do them? Thank you and congratulations again!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
They get paid loads and all they have to do is press the go button! It said as much in the Daily Mail so it must be true. Ha ha. Only kidding mate, all the very best to you all trying to make the grade. Hope you get there, one of my longest standing friends is a driver and he has never looked back.
 

Loulou

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2017
Messages
35
They get paid loads and all they have to do is press the go button! It said as much in the Daily Mail so it must be true. Ha ha. Only kidding mate, all the very best to you all trying to make the grade. Hope you get there, one of my longest standing friends is a driver and he has never looked back.

haha one of my customers said to me tonight .. ah I understand the train driver role is easy ' My mates a train driver & said it's the easiest job he's had !!! ... I was like wow !really ??? !! Considering what it takes to get in ,( I don't think the general public know the procedure ! ) it's not easy , in the slightest , but saying that when yiu know a job it's always easy ... I personally think the train driver role is the repetition & concentration of the role which is a skill some people have ,& some dont, I have to hOPE THt the the best get found & theyRe the ones that get the job ( hopefully me )
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
haha one of my customers said to me tonight .. ah I understand the train driver role is easy ' My mates a train driver & said it's the easiest job he's had !!! ... I was like wow !really ??? !! Considering what it takes to get in ,( I don't think the general public know the procedure ! ) it's not easy , in the slightest , but saying that when yiu know a job it's always easy ... I personally think the train driver role is the repetition & concentration of the role which is a skill some people have ,& some dont, I have to hOPE THt the the best get found & theyRe the ones that get the job ( hopefully me )
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top