• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What could the future hold for 769s once TfW have finished with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,403
Then what does that make 150s? They are at least less life expired than those units, and can work on those routes.
150s are considerably more useful to TfW than 769s, until replacement rolling stock is available.
 

MattRat

On Moderation
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
2,129
Location
Liverpool
150s are considerably more useful to TfW than 769s, until replacement rolling stock is available.
I meant in general, sorry. 197s will obviously replace TFW units. I'm more talking Northern or maybe even GWR (although they've given up on their 769s).
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I meant in general, sorry. 197s will obviously replace TFW units. I'm more talking Northern or maybe even GWR (although they've given up on their 769s).
If they could be made to work reliably, then there would be a use case on Northern (leaving aside the cost implications for the time being). However they wouldn't be able to do everything a 150 can do at the moment as they're too long for routes like Huddersfield to Sheffield.
 

M1544

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2016
Messages
137
I was on a couple of Northern 769s yesterday and have to say they were both on time and seemed to be running well, and changed over power at Bolton smoothly in both directions. And I find the MAN engines quieter than the Cummins engines of the 150s.

As Northern do operate some 2x2 car 150s in the NW area and will loose some potentially to WMR for Bletchley Bedford it does make me wonder if a few more 769 diagrams could be added around the north west in a unit shuffle round?
Id presume the 769 engines are lower emission than the older 150 engines?

I’ve often wondered about something Leeds Morecambe would work for them given they could use overhead between Leeds and Skipton and diesel skipton to Carnforth. Then electric to Lancaster? They’d also then be similar length to the aire valley 331/333 at the Leeds end of the line for commuters.
 

Greybeard33

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2012
Messages
4,335
Location
Greater Manchester
I was on a couple of Northern 769s yesterday and have to say they were both on time and seemed to be running well, and changed over power at Bolton smoothly in both directions. And I find the MAN engines quieter than the Cummins engines of the 150s.

As Northern do operate some 2x2 car 150s in the NW area and will loose some potentially to WMR for Bletchley Bedford it does make me wonder if a few more 769 diagrams could be added around the north west in a unit shuffle round?
Id presume the 769 engines are lower emission than the older 150 engines?

I’ve often wondered about something Leeds Morecambe would work for them given they could use overhead between Leeds and Skipton and diesel skipton to Carnforth. Then electric to Lancaster? They’d also then be similar length to the aire valley 331/333 at the Leeds end of the line for commuters.
I think Northern might conceivably take on two or three more 769s, based at Allerton with its existing eight, to replace double 150 diagrams on the Southport to Stalybridge/Oxford Road routes. But only if the 150s are needed by other TOCs.

I do not think 769s would be considered to replace 158s on Leeds - Morecambe. These services are worked from the Leeds end and would require new traincrew and maintenance engineers to be trained on a micro fleet.
 

DM352

Member
Joined
9 Oct 2019
Messages
290
Location
White north
I have never been on a 769 but as others have said, the 319s were used hard in TL wih little slack. It has probably been a lessons learned not to do similar to other mid life stock. I do wonder if a Stadler style mk3 power pack would have made a difference vs putting generators under the trailers.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,403
I do wonder if a Stadler style mk3 power pack would have made a difference vs putting generators under the trailers.
It wouldn't have changed the industrial relations issues, driving cab conditions, or performance of the units. It also wouldn't have been as quick as the original plans envisaged getting them into service. It could equally be asked whether putting the generators above floor within the body like a Southern DEMU or class 210 would have made a difference.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top