anamyd
Established Member
- Joined
- 17 Aug 2018
- Messages
- 3,038
As per title, does anyone know what causes the "whoom, whoom, whoom" sound at the engine speed inside 175s/170s?
As per title, does anyone know what causes the "whoom, whoom, whoom" sound at the engine speed inside 175s/170s?
It's that "whoom" sound that repeats every three quarters of a second or so (not sure why though). Somewhat makes sense though, thanks :PI'm not 100% sure which sound you mean, but it's probably resonation between engine vibration and the bodywork.
185s do something similar too, can be very irritating when they are coasting downhill or up to a stop.It's that "whoom" sound that repeats every three quarters of a second or so (not sure why though). Somewhat makes sense though, thanks :P
I think this best describes it.I'm not 100% sure which sound you mean, but it's probably resonation between engine vibration and the bodywork.
I’ve got no idea what it is but I can confirm that there definitely is a repeating “whoom” sound every three quarters of a second on 175s. Not sure about 170s because I’ve only been on one once from York to Harrogate.It's that "whoom" sound that repeats every three quarters of a second or so (not sure why though). Somewhat makes sense though, thanks :P
170s don't have a retarder and the one on 175s has been disabled for most of their lives.Is it to do with engine braking? 22x use electrical transmission whereas 170, 175 and 185 are mechanical so the engines can be used as a brake as well as providing traction power. Alternatively is it not the engine hunting where the revs keep pitching up and down?
I suspect it's vibration and resonance in the bodywork, 170s certainly do this frequently at mid-range rpm - literally everything that can vibrate does on some units.As per title, does anyone know what causes the "whoom, whoom, whoom" sound at the engine speed inside 175s/170s?
Yes I have noticed this as well. Including Chiltern railways 168s also.170s don't have a retarder and the one on 175s has been disabled for most of their lives.
I suspect it's vibration and resonance in the bodywork, 170s certainly do this frequently at mid-range rpm - literally everything that can vibrate does on some units.
The sound is within a certain (range of) steady engine speed(s). That also seems to link with others' suggestions of the bodies resonating from the engine sound, as that will be at (a) certain frequency(ies). There must be a more specific reason it does it with the "whooms", but thanks for everyone's responsesIs it to do with engine braking? 22x use electrical transmission whereas 170, 175 and 185 are mechanical so the engines can be used as a brake as well as providing traction power. Alternatively is it not the engine hunting where the revs keep pitching up and down?
Sorry, by 170 I meant 168/170/171.Yes I have noticed this as well. Including Chiltern railways 168s also.
I've heard about the cooler group in relation to 175s(/180s?), so this has something to do with the "whooms"?Engine noise
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
And cooler group load.
And sound like them especially when travelling In the Cross country ones.Ah, is this the reason why 170s were called 'washing machines' when new? (By a very small number of people, admittedly...)