• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What buses will I see at Barnsley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alistair G.

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2013
Messages
355
Location
Leicester
Hello guys,

Going for a few hours jolly tomorrow and am headin for Sheffield. Was gonna park at Meadowhall (as it's free!) and then thought I'd catch the train to Sheffield so I can get to the main bus station just opposite Sheffield train station

I also thought about a a quick train trip up to Barnsley. However, am I just gonna see the same buses I would in Sheffield?.

Any advice is always very greatfully received!

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brompton rail

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2009
Messages
754
Location
Doncaster
Hello guys,

Going for a few hours jolly tomorrow and am headin for Sheffield. Was gonna park at Meadowhall (as it's free!) and then thought I'd catch the train to Sheffield so I can get to the main bus station just opposite Sheffield train station

I also thought about a a quick train trip up to Barnsley. However, am I just gonna see the same buses I would in Sheffield?.

Any advice is always very greatfully received!

Thanks

Meadowhall railway station car park (SYPTE) is highly likely to be full before 08.00. Many commuters use the free daytime parking at Centretainment Tram Stop - 3 stops from Meadowhall Interchange. South Yorkshire Connect + Day Ticket cost £7.90 covering tram, bus and train throughput South Yorkshire.

At Sheffield you will encounter Stagecoach, First and TM Travel buses, at Barnsley Stagecoach are the main operator with a few First journeys, Arriva as well as a few independents. Your ticket would also cover Doncaster (5 trains per hour to Sheffield,) and X19 half hourly Barnsley - Doncaster. First are dominant in Doncaster, with Stagecoach (Yorkshire and East Midland) plus Arriva.
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,591
I don't believe Arriva serve Barnsley any more (or First either for that matter), although their subsidiary Yorkshire Tiger has just started operating a few services

Also Sheffield Interchange is near deserted these days gets quieter each time I visit, even many out of town services like the X1 don't seem to use it, so you'll have to walk at least up to Arundel Gate to see much.
 

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
Leave this to me, lads! ;)

Yes, you'd see Stagecoach, Arriva & TM Travel. First used to operate a route to Rotherham as well as Meadowhall, but they were uncompetitive to Stagecoach. There used to be Tates Travel as well, but they've packed up.

Also, Stagecoach in Barnsley also has a fleet of Brand New double and single decks out and about on routes to Elsecar, Rotherham and Adersly North, fit with leather seats, usb plugs and free wi-fi, so be sure to check them out!!

I don't believe Arriva serve Barnsley any more (or First either for that matter), although their subsidiary Yorkshire Tiger has just started operating a few services

Also Sheffield Interchange is near deserted these days gets quieter each time I visit, even many out of town services like the X1 don't seem to use it, so you'll have to walk at least up to Arundel Gate to see much.

Arriva still operates a route, just renamed it.

Who even goes to Sheffield Interchange these days?? Meadowhall is the new message.
 

Alistair G.

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2013
Messages
355
Location
Leicester
That's fantastic info.

Thanks everyone.

So I'm guessing Sheffield interchange isn't the place to go then?

The new stagecoach fleet that is mentioned above that serves Barnsley interchange, would that also make it down to Sheffield or not?
 

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
That's fantastic info.

Thanks everyone.

So I'm guessing Sheffield interchange isn't the place to go then?

The new stagecoach fleet that is mentioned above that serves Barnsley interchange, would that also make it down to Sheffield or not?

Not that it's a horrible place, just that there's more diversity near Meadowhall, and perhaps you'd like that better.

The new buses were meant for the 66 (Elsecar), 11 (Athersly) & 22x (to Rotherham), but due to Stagecoach's randomness, they can strey onto other routes also. Feeling lucky, any you might bump into one on the 265 to Sheffield!

Meanwhile, some nice double deckers operate on the 265 to Sheffield Interchange with Wi-Fi. Trust me, they can feel good at top speed past Elsecar!
 

Alistair G.

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2013
Messages
355
Location
Leicester
Last time I went Sheffield (admittidly it was some years ago) but Meadowhall seemed near dead bar for the odd first service, didn't see a stagecoach in site!.

I'm guessing things have changed a little then, worth while just sticking out at Meadowhall??, surely though that would,only service routes coming out of,one side of the city, somewhere in Sheffield itself must be worthwhile to get all corners of the city centre bus services?
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,591
That's fantastic info.

Thanks everyone.

So I'm guessing Sheffield interchange isn't the place to go then?

It's very quiet, I think most services have moved out over the years. I remember when they demolished half of it about 10 years ago they struggled to fit all remaining services in the other half. Now you could almost layover for half an hour on a live stand.

Around Castle Square by the tram tracks is probably the busiest spot. The top of The Moor by all the roadworks is probably another good spot to see lots.
 
Last edited:

LuSiVe

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Messages
127
Location
Chesterfield
You'd see the shiny gold Stagecoach X17 buses at the interchange before they head off south to Chesterfield :)

The tram is the reason there's (virtually?) no Stagecoach buses at Meadowhall.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,060
Location
Reston City Centre
At Sheffield you will encounter Stagecoach, First and TM Travel buses

There's also Hulleys of Baslow (on Peak District services - 271/ 272/ 273/ 274/ 275) and Sheffield Community Transport (though SCT don't serve the Interchange IIRC, if that was what you were meaning.

Who even goes to Sheffield Interchange these days?? Meadowhall is the new message.

So I'm guessing Sheffield interchange isn't the place to go then?

It's very quiet, I think most services have moved out over the years. I remember when they demolished half of it about 10 years ago they struggled to fit all remaining services in the other half. Now you could almost layover for half an hour on a live stand.

Around Castle Square by the tram tracks is probably the busiest spot. The top of The Moor by all the roadworks is probably another good spot to see lots.

Aye, Sheffield Interchange was busy in the '90s but slowly got quieter and quieter - partly because it's nowhere near the main shopping area, partly because we've lost some of the "out of town" bus services (Huddersfield, Bradford, Leeds, Stoke, Grimsby, Hull, Worksop...), partly because frequent urban routes have been combined (e.g. the 60 to the Hallamshire and the 41 to Crystal Peaks both ran every six minutes or so, so layovers at the Interchange were common, but now there's the 120 linking both sides of town).

The FreeBee was every seven minutes (in theory!), but was cut back, along with similar free city centre services in comparable places.

The "recent" Partnership changes (October 2015) have meant even fewer services around the Interchange area (e.g. the 47/48 and 53 used to run up and down Flat Street fairly often but the replacement services either serve the main shopping area or only run past in one direction).

So, for variety, I'd go near Castle Square Tram Stop (north end of town) or Debenhams (south end of town).

Waingate can be good for photos (due to the hill), Hillsborough can be fairly busy at times. I wouldn't bother with Meadowhall as there's not much there that doesn't come into central Sheffield (esp given the way that Rotherham services interwork into central Sheffield, as do the two "ring road" services, the 18 and 38). The only advantage of Meadowhall is Megabus (which doesn't serve central Sheffield).

The tram is the reason there's (virtually?) no Stagecoach buses at Meadowhall.

I could be wrong, but I think that the Megabus is the only Stagecoach service to have served Meadowhall, after the initial retrenchment when they took over Yorkshire Traction (Tracky used to run some of their services from the Dearne Valley to Rotherham through to Meadowhall for many years, but it didn't last long after the Stagecoach takeover, and they've not been back, despite the provocation from First on the "22" corridor).
 

Alistair G.

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2013
Messages
355
Location
Leicester
Just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who contributed to this post.

I had a fantastic trip out and castle square (or whatever it's called) was superb, buses at every angle and tram numbers as well! So thank you for all the advice. Without it I would have been stood at Sheffield interchange looking like a chump!!!

I also managed a trip to Barnsley interchange, only had 25mins so never left there. It was brilliant for stagecoach but was surprised to see no other operater!.

Once I've had chance to upload my pictures to Flickr I shall purplish the link to them here for anyone who might be interested.

Thanks again guys!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top