• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the worst rolling stock subsitutions you've experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,434
Location
Yorks
Especially as the Voyagers had already been introduced so we're talking 2002 here. Voyagers and Mk2s only lived side-by-side for under a year on Virgin.

Ooh, so it might have been a lovely rake of main line mk3's ? I must admit, I'd moved away from the WCML by then, so I don't know how reliable they were by then !
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
Going back to loco hauled days, obviously when your favoured form of traction was substituted by something else. ;)
If a 47 turned up instead of a 50 - ruined your day! 45 or 50 vice 47 though, absolute winner!
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,657
Location
Isle of Man
Going back to loco hauled days, obviously when your favoured form of traction was substituted by something else. ;)

Best one I saw for that was when the morning 47 on the S&C on a Saturday was replaced with a single 2-car 101. I'll bet the driver had to get out and push it through Blea Moor.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
Going the other way (i.e. best substitution) when I travelled from Derby to Crewe on mark 1s with a pair of 20s instead of a 150! Didn't last long as think they found some old heritage units!
 

CW2

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2020
Messages
2,232
Location
Crewe
Going the other way (i.e. best substitution) when I travelled from Derby to Crewe on mark 1s with a pair of 20s instead of a 150! Didn't last long as think they found some old heritage units!
That probably deserves a thread of its own.
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,763
IETs on the Sleeper? Has that ever actually happened?

Oh it has - I've seen it reported on Twitter I think twice. I can imagine the person in charge of sending trains out thinking like "Oh dear - well, it's an IET or delay passengers further".

I'll be honest, that's the only time I'd be disappointed at an IET vs a ride-behind-a-57 experience, especially as I would have given up a night for a night of fun. Haven't done the sleeper yet.
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,763
Was it just tough luck if you bought a berth ticket then? Can't imagine Paddington-Penzance on a HST being an amazing experience to be honest in middle of the night.

Sorry again, but yes passengers had been entitled to a compensation or part compensation for the lack of beds according to what I read on Twitter ages ago about an IET in place of a sleeper.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,543
143s have substituted for 8 carriage HSTs on GWR a couple of times. One made it from Paignton to Swindon, and more recently, one started at Westbury on a service to Cornwall to cover for a cancelled HST (might have even been an IET but I can’t remember for sure).

I’m sure 14x have part covered for 175s on routes in Wales before, especially Cardiff to Pembrokeshire.
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
I had no sleeping car from Amsterdam to Dresden a few years ago and had to sit all night in a CD carriage. I asked for a full refund at Dresden in the morning using my fluent German but sadly the compensation amounted to only around 40% :'(
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,337
Location
Glasgow
I had no sleeping car from Amsterdam to Dresden a few years ago and had to sit all night in a CD carriage. I asked for a full refund at Dresden in the morning using my fluent German but sadly the compensation amounted to only around 40% :'(

They probably argued - "well, we did get you there". Even if not in comfort.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
There was mention in another thread of a 141 running from Leeds to Doncaster calling at Wakefield only to connect with a Southbound ECML express after a Leeds service was cancelled. Apparently a refreshments trolley was provided!

Back in Northern Spirit/Arriva Trains Northern days, it wasn't unheard of for Trans-pennine Express services to be subbed with a spare Pacer. I do remember having to squeeze onto a 5-car 142/144 combo to get back to Huddersfield from Leeds once.

Going overseas, my southbound trip on the sleeper to Latour de Carol (where I was booked in the seated coach) had an extra couchette vehicle in place of the LdC seated car, so I got a private compartment I didn't need to pay for!
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
In the days when Motorails ran one had failed at Lockerbie and our train south was stuck behind so they laid on a Class 101 to run from Carlisle to Crewe. We just under an hour late on arrival at Crewe
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
I remember one bank holiday in 2014 when the southern WCML was shut.

The heavily loaded Liverpool-Rugby 11 car Pendolino I was on was directed by the Train Manager onto a 3 car XC 170 at Nuneaton to travel to London via Leicester, rather than the huge 10 car Voyager waiting at Rugby to head via the Chiltern route...
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
They probably argued - "well, we did get you there". Even if not in comfort.

That was the exact words they used, and trying to argue a case in the former DDR is allegedly even harder than in the former West Germany.
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,763
In the days when Motorails ran one had failed at Lockerbie and our train south was stuck behind so they laid on a Class 101 to run from Carlisle to Crewe. We just under an hour late on arrival at Crewe

That must have been an experience and a half :)!

Then again I believe a first generation DMU could always be relied on to get you somewhere.
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
It must have been the early 1980s when the Leyland railbus was being trialled in the Bristol area and did an evening Temple Meads-Weston stopper vice a delayed ex-Paddington HST.

My companion and I remarked that if we'd wanted to get the bus home we'd have gone to the bus station (and not stopped in all the pubs on Victoria Street on the way to TM!).
 

vlad

Member
Joined
13 May 2018
Messages
794
Not sure but I’ve seen a HST on it before!!

I had a ticket to travel on the sleeper from Penzance to London during the 2016 Paddington derailment. Naturally it couldn't run as all the sleeper carriages were in London, so GWR had to improvise. We were either offered a seat on an HST that would run to the same timetable as the sleeper, or a room in a hotel in Penzance and then an HST the following morning. I chose the latter as I wanted to sleep and I wasn't in a hurry but a lot of people took the overnight option.
 

GtNortherner

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2018
Messages
21
Back in the days of the Channel boat trains to/from Folkestone Harbour, I was distinctly unimpressed to see that after a particularly awful crossing back from France on a SeaCat, the traction for my onward travel back to Victoria was a single 4-VEP...
 

milkinc13

New Member
Joined
9 Aug 2019
Messages
4
One time coming back from Wolves to B'stoke, instead of a voyager, a 170 appeared. Something to do with a faulty unit but we were swapped at New St to normal
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
One time coming back from Wolves to B'stoke, instead of a voyager, a 170 appeared. Something to do with a faulty unit but we were swapped at New St to normal

A pair of 170s have made it to Manchester a few times pre-COVID last year and very early this year. Swapped at Birmingham as you say.
 

Halish Railway

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,177
Location
West Yorkshire / Birmingham
A pair of 170s have made it to Manchester a few times pre-COVID last year and very early this year. Swapped at Birmingham as you say.
On a more positive note, don’t forget the HST that made it to Piccadilly from Bristol - It even kept to the Voyager’s timings! I’m a bit disappointed that the example of a 170 standing in made it on to this thread as I’d take a 170 any day over a Voyager as long as I had a seat, even though the earlier Turbostars aren’t as comfortable as the later ScotRail/Northern examples.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,434
Location
Yorks
Back in the days of the Channel boat trains to/from Folkestone Harbour, I was distinctly unimpressed to see that after a particularly awful crossing back from France on a SeaCat, the traction for my onward travel back to Victoria was a single 4-VEP...

I wouldn't have minded that. Was it crowded ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top