• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the worst rolling stock subsitutions you've experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,763
On Twitter a good few years back, someone reported that the 17:49 from London to Worcester was a 2-car Turbo instead of an 8-coach HST. They said it was due to a lack of available High Speed Trains that day.

If you thought that was bad, when GWR had staff shortages back in 2018, on I think a Plymouth to Penzance or a short working on the Cornish Mainline, they had to use a 1-coach 153 instead of an 8-coach HST. JourneyCheck showed it.

I understand that on one occasion in GNER days, the entire Class 91 IC225 fleet was grounded and a Pacer ran from Leeds all the way to London Kings Cross.

I bet passengers were like "You are joking???" when instead of a big 9-car electric 225 they were in not just a DMU but a Pacer train :)!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I understand that on one occasion in GNER days, the entire Class 91 IC225 fleet was grounded and a Pacer ran from Leeds all the way to London Kings Cross.

I bet passengers were like "You are joking???" when instead of a big 9-car electric 225 they were in not just a DMU but a Pacer train :)!
I'm 99.9999999% sure that's apocryphal. You may be thinking of the aftermath of the Sandy derailment, where WYPTE's 321s (and a few NSE units) were used to substitute for the IC225 sets while they were being inspected.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,335
Location
Glasgow
Back in the days of the Channel boat trains to/from Folkestone Harbour, I was distinctly unimpressed to see that after a particularly awful crossing back from France on a SeaCat, the traction for my onward travel back to Victoria was a single 4-VEP...

Depends if it was rammed or not.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,335
Location
Glasgow
I understand that on one occasion in GNER days, the entire Class 91 IC225 fleet was grounded and a Pacer ran from Leeds all the way to London Kings Cross.

I bet passengers were like "You are joking???" when instead of a big 9-car electric 225 they were in not just a DMU but a Pacer train :)!

I've certainly come across the anecdote before but no one has ever been able to provide photographic evidence for it - so I remain sceptical. I believe a 158 has made it into Euston in lieu of a LHCS set in Virgin days but a 158 is at least more suitable than a Pacer!
 

170TurboFan

Member
Joined
25 Jul 2018
Messages
304
I mean... your username indicates that you may have actually enjoyed that, but it nevertheless sounds utterly ridiculous.

Was it crowded?
I weren’t on it but have experienced a crowded singular 321 on that route in the height of summer!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top