• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the best train booking websites now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 33

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2009
Messages
2,362
I used to use EastCoast which was good, as for £255 spent on train tickets you could use your Rewards points to claim a single ticket for a long distance train journey such as London-Edinburgh. The replacement Virgin Trains EastCoast is nowhere near as good. Spend £250 and it's only worth just a measly £2.50!!

Are there any other good train booking websites, where you get something back for the money you spend?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
I hear that thetrainline.com always get you the cheapest fare *removes tongue from cheek*

In all seriousness though, with the decline of East Coast Rewards, I don't think that there are any reward schemes on a similar level to it, i'm afraid that you'll have to settle for the best of the rest
 
Joined
14 Aug 2012
Messages
1,070
Location
Stratford
I book mine now through Quidco, and get cash back from EMT and First Trans Pennine, also you get the Nectar points with First, other than that there isn't any good site
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,838
Location
West of Andover
Virgin Trains East Coast for booking VTEC journeys (online discount)
East Midland Trains for booking EMT advances (£1 discount, plus cashback)

FTPE gives cashback as well as nectar points
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
If booking a VWC journey use a Trainline based site (not Trainline itself) so the SVHs are available.

For Advances, try the TOC site (or Megatrain) in case there is a special.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
I like takethetrain, especially if you're taking an alternative route where it can produce an itinerary for you ;)
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
Does it sell tickets? Yes
Does it come up split ticket combinations? Yes
Does the website function as a normal website does? Yes

Does it come up with the cheapest possible tickets - No

At least not in my experience. For every trip I have made in the last 12 months I have not failed once in coming up with splits of my own that are cheaper. The first leg of my last trip (Bristol-Doncaster) it couldn't come up with anything under £40 for the day I wanted. Doing it myself I got it down to £31.25

edit(2): I actually got it down to £28.10, but didn't like the route so paid the extra £3.05 to go the way I preferred.

(Misremembered one of the fares)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top