• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the best first class journeys in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivorytoast28

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2018
Messages
256
Location
Sheffield
What operators give the best 1st class experience? From my (very) limited knowledge/experience the first class experience on UK long distance operators is far better than elsewhere in Europe - is this true, does anywhere else offer meal service etc? And if not where is better?
Also is there anyway to obtain a directory of trains that have 1st class in Europe (especially in Eastern Europe this seems difficult to obtain)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,954
Location
London
Had a very good first chance experience on DB back in 2016, going from London to Berlin via Brussels and Cologne.
 

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,468
Location
London
What operators give the best 1st class experience? From my (very) limited knowledge/experience the first class experience on UK long distance operators is far better than elsewhere in Europe - is this true, does anywhere else offer meal service etc? And if not where is better?
Also is there anyway to obtain a directory of trains that have 1st class in Europe (especially in Eastern Europe this seems difficult to obtain)

The main difference is that your ticket doesn't generally include free food and drink like in Britain. But that (IMO) is no bad thing (as it means people who just want a nice seat don't have to pay for food they don't want or need) and good food in restaurants can be had as long as you pay.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
What operators give the best 1st class experience? From my (very) limited knowledge/experience the first class experience on UK long distance operators is far better than elsewhere in Europe - is this true, does anywhere else offer meal service etc? And if not where is better?
The only meal-inclusive services I can think of are:
Spain - the former Preferente (now Premium?) class on some AVE/Em services. Decent meal, slightly unpredictable accompaniments from limited experience.
France/Switzerland (and -Germany?) - TGV Lyria - no experience, but I would predict a cold meal like Eurostar. Ditto on Thalys to Belgium/Germany. In both cases ISTR the offer is now restricted.
Italy - FS and Italo high speedspeed offer some limited refreshments in first (same applies to Leo Express in CZ).
Also is there anyway to obtain a directory of trains that have 1st class in Europe (especially in Eastern Europe this seems difficult to obtain)
To the best of my knowledge the vast majority of longer-distance trains and certainly inter-city or equivalent services have first class. Austria and Norway sometimes have second class only on longer distance trains.
Www.vagonweb.cz shows train formations up to 2021 for Eastern and (especially) Central Europe, and will give you some idea.

Regional/local trains are more likely to be second class only except in Switzerland and Germany where dedicated first class is almost universal even on some S-bahn urban lines (note - it may not offer superior accommodation!). Benelux also have first class more-or-less everywhere.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,140
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
The new Trenitalia Frecciarossa Francia service between Paris and Milano offers virtually unlimited free food and drink in Executive class for a one-way fare of 165 Euro. My wife and I will be travelling on the 06 31 departure from Paris next Wednesday and we intend to have breakfast, mid-morning tea or coffee with snacks and lunch on board. We'll let you know how we get on.
 

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,246
Business class railjet is for me the best of the best. Catering is not free but excellent and quite cheap. And the seat (only 2 per row) quality is unsurpassed.
 

Beebman

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
968
Location
Twyford
Another vote from me for Railjet - about 10 days ago I travelled from Budapest Keleti to Wien Hbf and I enjoyed a very tasty Wiener Schnitzel with a glass of Veltliner wine. I'm planning another trip to Austria in September thanks to the 50% Interrail offer.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
The new Trenitalia Frecciarossa Francia service between Paris and Milano offers virtually unlimited free food and drink in Executive class for a one-way fare of 165 Euro. My wife and I will be travelling on the 06 31 departure from Paris next Wednesday and we intend to have breakfast, mid-morning tea or coffee with snacks and lunch on board. We'll let you know how we get on.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

The Rail Jet product sounds good too.

I have found the included catering on Thalys and TGV/Lyria to Germany and Switzerland a bit mixed.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
Another vote from me for Railjet - about 10 days ago I travelled from Budapest Keleti to Wien Hbf and I enjoyed a very tasty Wiener Schnitzel with a glass of Veltliner wine.
Just to clarify - is this a different offer (apart from being at-seat), or cheaper, from that available in second class? I didn't think it was. (Business class carries a supplement in Austria.)

On non-food issues: first is particularly worth it on the handful of trains that have a panoramic coach - apart from Swiss internal services, there is the daily Zurich-Innsbruck-Graz train, and a daily Zurich-Rhine Valley-Hamburg.
 
Last edited:

Beebman

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
968
Location
Twyford
Just to clarify - is this a different offer (apart from being at-seat), or cheaper, from that available in second class? I didn't think it was. (Business class carries a supplement in Austria.)

I was in first class, the service was at-seat and I had to pay for the food and drink. The current menu can be found here:

https://www.oebb.at/dam/jcr:17e4b6bd-f5d0-4fe1-8e9a-a47a7abae5dd/folder-don-bistrokarte.pdf

The price was 11.80 EUR for the Wiener Schnitzel (actually I paid in Forints to get rid of most my remaining Hungarian currency).
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
Something a bit different: The front row 'VIP' seats on MOB trains between Montreux and Zweisimmen in Switzerland.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,816
Location
UK
Spain - the former Preferente (now Premium?) class on some AVE/Em services. Decent meal, slightly unpredictable accompaniments from limited experience.
I think it'd be an overstatement to call it a meal, unless the service I experienced was different to normal. You get a snack box with a sandwich and a few other things, plus tea/coffee and wine.

Definitely a nice touch and Preferente usually isn't that much more than Standard, but you'll want to have something else to eat on top!
 

Beebman

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
968
Location
Twyford
I think it'd be an overstatement to call it a meal, unless the service I experienced was different to normal. You get a snack box with a sandwich and a few other things, plus tea/coffee and wine.

Definitely a nice touch and Preferente usually isn't that much more than Standard, but you'll want to have something else to eat on top!

This is what I received on a midday journey from Madrid to Valencia back in March:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 76

Austriantrain

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2018
Messages
1,814
Austria […] sometimes have second class only on longer distance trains.

There is always first class in Takt long distance trains (IC, rj, rjx, ICE); some peak trains (run with a „D“ prefix) will only have second class, but these are rare.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
I think it'd be an overstatement to call it a meal, unless the service I experienced was different to normal. You get a snack box with a sandwich and a few other things, plus tea/coffee and wine.

Definitely a nice touch and Preferente usually isn't that much more than Standard, but you'll want to have something else to eat on top!
I received a hot meal with accompaniments on a Madrid to Barcelona AVE in March!

Granted it wasn't huge but it kept me going for lunch.
 

duesselmartin

Established Member
Joined
18 Jan 2014
Messages
2,161
Location
Duisburg, Germany
the best has to be SBB Panoramic coaches for first class.
I prefer to be be disturbed for food and get it myself at the dining car to be honest.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
This is what I received on a midday journey from Madrid to Valencia back in March:
Either that has changedt, or you got a service that doesn't have the full offer. You need(ed) to check the Renfe website carefully!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Eurostar and Thalys have two types of first class, similar to Avanti, one with food (and papers I believe) and one without. The former is very expensive, the latter much more reasonable.
ES Standard Premier offers a (cold) light meal.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,346
Location
Herts
Either that has changedt, or you got a service that doesn't have the full offer. You need(ed) to check the Renfe website carefully!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


ES Standard Premier offers a (cold) light meal.

ES Standard Premier used to do hot meals - I have very fond memories of their epic Gascon (heavily garlicked) fish pie. So good I asked for a second and got one.

I hope the Czech diners have survived on the Berlin - Dresden - Prague run , open to all , and superb cuisine and open to all in the car, without 1st class.
 

randyrippley

Established Member
Joined
21 Feb 2016
Messages
5,382
If you're after scenery rather than service, around 30 years ago I went Prague-Dresden following the river valley and it was like riding through a time-warp. Straight out of John Constable's subject matter. Horse-based farming, gloriously flower-rich unimproved meadows creating a scene that's only past history here.
I don't know if things have changed in the intervening time but if they've not it's worth the ride.
As for onboard service, even though this was post iron curtain, the train staff and border guards still maintained their communist efficiency with the German border control still wearing green East German uniforms.
There was food available in the restaurant car: basically a choice of red, purple, orange, yellow and red beetroot. Fried, roasted, mashed, croquettes, veggieburgers.................if you didn't like beetroot it was a bad day

Had to go first class, second was full. I think it cost me around £8. Big 2+1 facing armchair seats and large windows
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Another vote from me for Railjet - about 10 days ago I travelled from Budapest Keleti to Wien Hbf and I enjoyed a very tasty Wiener Schnitzel with a glass of Veltliner wine. I'm planning another trip to Austria in September thanks to the 50% Interrail offer.

I thought it (1st, not the business compartments) was awful as the seats have a design flaw and won't stay upright.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
I hope the Czech diners have survived on the Berlin - Dresden - Prague run , open to all , and superb cuisine and open to all in the car, without 1st class.
There was a restaurant car last time I did that route (2 or 3 years ago); ČD have new stock on order from Siemens for that route (RailJet derivative) which as I understand it includes restaurant cars.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,740
Location
West Riding
As mentioned by @D6130 , Executive Class on a Frecciarossa is going to take some beating, it's the only product that competes with airline first class. It blows all other first class out of the water in my experience.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,346
Location
Herts
As mentioned by @D6130 , Executive Class on a Frecciarossa is going to take some beating, it's the only product that competes with airline first class. It blows all other first class out of the water in my experience.

Totally and utterly agree. Superb coffee and served with genuine style and panache ..
 

Austriantrain

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2018
Messages
1,814
As mentioned by @D6130 , Executive Class on a Frecciarossa is going to take some beating, it's the only product that competes with airline first class. It blows all other first class out of the water in my experience.

You need a market for that to offer it, though. Apparently demand exists between Italy‘s large cities. The idea to offer a premium service on Austria’s RJ, OTOH, never took of and was cancelled after a couple of years; not enough passengers were willing to pay for it.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I regularly travel in RJ first and have not noticed this. Maybe just a broken seat?

I tried a few seats and all were the same. I think a design flaw that could not deal with my weight. I am quite heavy and have had this on some older aircraft, but I expect better in a premium class. In future I will go for the excellent Grammer IC3000s in 2nd and save my money!

RJ does have a higher class like FS, doesn't it?
 
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,683
Location
LBK
The only meal-inclusive services I can think of are:
Spain - the former Preferente (now Premium?) class on some AVE/Em services. Decent meal, slightly unpredictable accompaniments from limited experience.
France/Switzerland (and -Germany?) - TGV Lyria - no experience, but I would predict a cold meal like Eurostar. Ditto on Thalys to Belgium/Germany. In both cases ISTR the offer is now restricted.
Italy - FS and Italo high speedspeed offer some limited refreshments in first (same applies to Leo Express in CZ).
Sweden also - SJ does free breakfast on higher speed services in first class.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top