• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are people giving up for lent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
Bugger all.

There's things I should be quitting.

But I'm not gonna :p
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Bugger all.

There's things I should be quitting.

But I'm not gonna :p

My usual opinion :p That's becasue I give up giving up chocolate within about 24 hours of lent starting. This way, I get my chocolate fix.
 

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,736
I'm going to start re-drinking thus I'm currently not drinking, go figure!
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,681
I would say I'm giving up being religious, but that happened a long time ago.
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
I kind of want to give something up now for the hell of it...
But there's not really anything that I'm willing to give up.
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
No chance! Although I've not got any significant coverage since early December anyway!
It's all been London Underground coverage this last month or so, cause it's warmer.

I should give up being such a pussy and not going out because I can't be bothered.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I do not believe in Lent.
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
as the company I work for is being sold to new owners tomorrow, I may find myself having to give up work. or having it given up for me....
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
You think govong up booze, chocolate, fags or intercourse is bad, think about the people who, from tomorrow, will begin a forty day fast...
 

djw1981

Established Member
Joined
10 Jul 2007
Messages
2,642
Location
Glasgow
Interestingly fasting on Sundays is not allowed, because as the day on which Christ rose from the dead Sunday is always a feast day. Therefore, the lenten fast is the 46 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter Saturday, minus the six Sundays in that time period, giving 40 days in total.

So what ever you give up you can enjoy on Sundays!
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Interestingly fasting on Sundays is not allowed, because as the day on which Christ rose from the dead Sunday is always a feast day. Therefore, the lenten fast is the 46 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter Saturday, minus the six Sundays in that time period, giving 40 days in total.

So what ever you give up you can enjoy on Sundays!

That's something they failed to mention when I was at school!
 

Gizmogle

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2006
Messages
6,015
I was going to link to the Wikipedia Simple English page for Lent, but they don't seem to know what it is either.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I ate milk chocolate today :( The nice lady in WHSmith in Waverley informed me that "for 20p more, you can get 6 times more chocolate!". Thank you...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top