• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What age do you have to stop having 16-25 Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
3 Aug 2009
Messages
204
Location
Derby
What age do you have to stop having 16-25 Railcard?.

As next month it expires so I'm sure if I can reniew it?.

Well I'm not not sure if it is 25 or 26 you'll have to stop having them?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jnjkerbin

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2012
Messages
842
Location
Down south
You can renew it anytime up to the day before your 26th birthday. I.e. If you turn 26 during the validity period, you continue to pay discounted fares until it expires. Note that this does not apply for the 3 year version which expires (regardless of the start date), no more than 1 year after you turn 26 (I believe).
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
All students on full-time further or higher education courses also qualify, irrespective of age.
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,545
Note that this does not apply for the 3 year version which expires (regardless of the start date), no more than 1 year after you turn 26 (I believe).
You're actually ineligible for a 3-year railcard purchase / renewal the day you turn 24, so you'll get all 3 years if you want to buy (provided you're not too old) / already have one.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
If you are only entitled because of age; you can buy your 1 year Railcard up to the day before your 26th birthday, or 3 year up to the day before your 24th.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
You can renew it anytime up to the day before your 26th birthday. I.e. If you turn 26 during the validity period, you continue to pay discounted fares until it expires. Note that this does not apply for the 3 year version which expires (regardless of the start date), no more than 1 year after you turn 26 (I believe).

The 3. year being valid while you are 16 is the family and friends railcard concession for child fares where the railcard may be used with other children.
 

Goatboy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
2,274
I wonder whats so magic about those who are 26 which means unless they renewed before they must pay more to travel by train than those who are 25.

The lack of a National Railcard remains irritating.
 

tom1649

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
990
I wonder whats so magic about those who are 26 which means unless they renewed before they must pay more to travel by train than those who are 25.

The lack of a National Railcard remains irritating.

I would be able to afford to use the railways more if there was a National Railcard. NSE area is not much use to me.
 

paddington

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Messages
964
My railcard is valid for about 2 weeks after my 26th birthday... I entered my ID (which confirmed my DOB) into the site a while before I turned 24 and then clicked "save for later". Then I forgot to actually buy it until my birthday, but it still worked... and then took 3 weeks to arrive. I did have a 1 year railcard which was still valid at that time though.

I suspected that once it's confirmed you're eligible, it will let you buy the card later than that and the expiry date is 3 years after the day they actually print the card. I did email them about this glitch but didn't get any reply, maybe they've fixed it already.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
I bought mine online the day before I turned 26 and it expired about 4 days after I turned 27
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
My railcard is valid for about 2 weeks after my 26th birthday... I entered my ID (which confirmed my DOB) into the site a while before I turned 24 and then clicked "save for later". Then I forgot to actually buy it until my birthday, but it still worked... and then took 3 weeks to arrive. I did have a 1 year railcard which was still valid at that time though.

I suspected that once it's confirmed you're eligible, it will let you buy the card later than that and the expiry date is 3 years after the day they actually print the card. I did email them about this glitch but didn't get any reply, maybe they've fixed it already.

A Railcard remains valid until the expiry date stated even if the holder turns 26 during the period of validity. If purchased at the right time, ie. one day before the 26th birthday, it will last until one day before the holder turns 27. Online purchases normally build an extra week into the validity to cater for delivery time so can result in a situation where the holder turns 27 and the Railcard is still valid.

3-year ones work in the same way although can only be bought until one day before the 24th birthday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top