• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what about the voyagers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I read in Rail EMT are to 'refresh' their 222s to bring them in line with the rest of the fleet and to standardise their product.

Why can't Crosscountry adopt a similar policy of 'Investing in trains is the thing to do' regarding their older voyagers? High time the Voyagers were seen to regarding upholstery and carpeting. Nothing to do with livery/colour matching rather a matter of urgency!

These trains are used intensively across the network and many people may judge the UK rail service on these trains.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
The Voyagers are not in need of an internal refurbishment

The EMT "refresh" is to simply standardise the fleet and to rebalance the amount of standard and First Class
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
And the fact that a lot of seats on 222s are threadbare...
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
The Voyagers are not in need of an internal refurbishment

The EMT "refresh" is to simply standardise the fleet and to rebalance the amount of standard and First Class
Oh right, so they're finally getting rid of that extra First Class bit?

I think the Voyagers need a jolly good clean if not a refurb. IMO the Virgin Colour scheme is fine on lightly loaded trains but just makes a Voyager feel (even more) claustrophobic when full & standing.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,295
...plus lack of spare stock (if one Voyager is being refurbished, and not in service)

They had two out of service at a time while they removed the shops - all they'd have to do during a refurb programme is to run another HST all week...
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Oh right, so they're finally getting rid of that extra First Class bit?
.

I don't think so, but the thing is, the HT ones have a different amount of seating in First. A
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
I don't think so, but the thing is, the HT ones have a different amount of seating in First
With reference to the Class 222 units
There are small number, sixteen if my list is correct, of MCO
These are due to be converted to MSO, which will standardise the 4 car sets

Half, again seven if my list correct, of the remaining MFO are due to be converted to MSO
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
The trolleys have been damaging the voyagers plus there are no longer any cleaners?

I have written to Crosscountry out of interest... the website makes it perculiarly difficult to contact customer services so took a good 30 minutes to decipher!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also does anyone know when First Hull Trains will fully refurbish the 180s. According to Wiki they have yet to fulfill the promise outlined in 2008 and I'm sure at least one 180 is gong around unbranded!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Perhaps something to do with this!!: http://www.hulltrains.co.uk/pioneer.php
 
Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
I have written to Crosscountry out of interest... the website makes it perculiarly difficult to contact customer services so took a good 30 minutes to decipher!
What is of interest to you with regard to XC?

XC through their website?
Why not just send them an email directly
The only thing is you need to wait about 24 hours for a response (on business days)
However, on each occasion they have responded favourably

customer.relations@crosscountrytrains.co.uk
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Hi yes on their website and yes I did email them but finidn the address on the website wasn't easy. Regarding the interior of the voyagers as I'm sure I was once told by them that the interior would gain new carpeting etc
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Hi yes on their website and yes I did email them but finidn the address on the website wasn't easy
Quite easy, within 3 clicks
Customer Service -> Help -> email address
or
Site Map -> Help -> email address

If you think XC is difficult, try Northern Rail!
Not very obvious, but hover over Northern and then follow the link
 

GNERman

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2008
Messages
1,595
Location
North Yorkshire
I think the Voyagers need a jolly good clean if not a refurb. IMO the Virgin Colour scheme is fine on lightly loaded trains but just makes a Voyager feel (even more) claustrophobic when full & standing.

I travelled on one of XC's Super Voms from Taunton to Newquay last week, and for the 3 hour journey it was better than I expected.

I've travelled on Voms before but only on short journeys, e.g. Darlington-York, York-Leeds. I sat in coach C in a bay seat and it was better than expected. Yes, there isn't a huge amount of legroom and there's no way you can work with a Laptop without it being on your lap but the seats are comfy and the train was clean.

IIRC didn't Arriva say that WiFi would be fitted to the whole fleet within the time they have the franchise. For a three hour journey I noticed that this was a huge miss.

It just seems a little stupid that GC services, which are only as long 3 and a half hours have free WiFi but XC services, which you can be on for at least 6 hours don't.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
IIRC didn't Arriva say that WiFi would be fitted to the whole fleet within the time they have the franchise. For a three hour journey I noticed that this was a huge miss.

It just seems a little stupid that GC services, which are only as long 3 and a half hours have free WiFi but XC services, which you can be on for at least 6 hours don't
"Within the time they have the franchise", I read into that that they will perform this as the franchise ends
However, I do agree the lack of WiFi has now dropped XC as a favourable journey option
I would have taken my laptop with me last week, to relax on the final part of my journey, but the lack of WiFi access between York and Glasgow Central on a XC HST meant I decided not to
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
The XC Voyagers are getting a little tired, but then so are the WC Voyagers.

On my last XC Journey

Booking system in coach "D" broken.
Tatty WC, Pan peeling and dirty, hand drier blowing cold.
Air-con in Coach "D" cooking at one end of carriage and freezing at the other.
Arguments about seating as consequence of broken booking system.
Tired upholstery
(Service arrived on time)

On my last WC Journey

Internal power-doors banging away throughout the journey as they attempt to close.
Reservation display system "switched on" 5 mins before departure from Central, train boarding 20 mins before departure.
WC "pans" tatty and horrible.
Tired upholstery
Something distinctly "clangy" donking away under .
(Service arrived on time)
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
West Coast did refit at least one coach with low density First/standard class seating. Anyway will report back the email
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I have some (good?) news, a reply from Crosscountry after sending an email about the deteriorating carpets and upholstery

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that discussions are currently underway with our Voyager fleet maintenance company. We are finalising the commercial aspects of the interior refurbishment of seats and carpets and are hopeful to have reached an agreement shortly.

Regards


Pamela Johnson
Customer Relations Team Leader
CrossCountry
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was excited by this email!! :D
 
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,113
Location
Redcar
Why? Assuming they reach an agreement it sounds like all they are going to do is put some new upholstery on the seats and change the carpets.
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I know! It's just I would love Crosscountry livery onboard the voyagers- looks really good on the HSTs! I've always been interested in different corporate images
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,113
Location
Redcar
Ah fair enough then :) Can't say I had realised that the current Voyager interior wasn't in Cross Country colours! :oops:
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
No it's in Virgin plus the interior doors are zebra striped and the vestibules are red which prob won't change I imagine it's just carpets and upholstery like the current 175 refresh
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,058
Location
Reston City Centre
I know! It's just I would love Crosscountry livery onboard the voyagers- looks really good on the HSTs! I've always been interested in different corporate images

Be careful what you wish for; DB may give everything the corporate Arriva livery :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top