• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weybridge to London Waterloo via Woking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushiuk

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2012
Messages
51
I wonder if someone can help me with this routeing query.

How is it that National Rail website shows services from Weybridge to London Waterloo involving a change at Woking - for the same price as the direct service (£7.80)?

An example is if you search for services on a weekday morning at 07:30.
You can see the direct service at 07:41 then a 07:42 service requiring a change at Woking.

This is doubling back isn't it - even though the service from Woking doesn't stop at Weybridge?

Weybridge & Woking are not in the same station group & I can't see any easements on this.

This is the first time I've tried to understand the Routeing Guide so apologies if I've missed something obvious.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,320
Location
Reading
How is it that National Rail website shows services from Weybridge to London Waterloo involving a change at Woking - for the same price as the direct service (£7.80)?

I can't think of an explanation for this based on any published documentation so I have no idea!
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
On a Sunday you can go to Byfleet and New Haw to change onto the Chertsey trains there because the trains start from Woking instead of Weybridge but that is the only one I know of.
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2009
Messages
364
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Hi there

The via Woking fare seems only to be available on Trainline powered sites and will probably be removed once the good folk of the Woking cotton on that they can save nearly £3.00 each way in the peak :lol:

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia
 

sushiuk

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2012
Messages
51
So the thinking is that via Woking isn't a permitted route - it's a fare anomaly.

In that case I ought to apologise for publicising it! :oops:
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,320
Location
Reading
So the thinking is that via Woking isn't a permitted route

(I think I've deduced what's gone wrong, but I don't want to explain here, sorry.)

More interestingly, it appears as if some historically reasonable routes for this journey have been withdrawn recently and that might be worth taking up through your M.P. if you live in Weybridge.

(E.g. You may no longer travel via Virginia Water unless using a through train and not breaking your journey.)
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
I've had Waterloo-Woking-Weybridge offered by journey planners but the price was higher than the normal Waterloo-Weybridge fare, and exactly the same as a Waterloo-Woking CDR :? I wonder what that was issued as?
 

sushiuk

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2012
Messages
51
@Furlong
As long as I can remember the route from Weybridge to London via Virginia Water has been more expensive than via Surbiton.
It's not one I would generally take as it's well over an hour compared to 30-35 mins on the surbiton route.
 
Last edited:

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,320
Location
Reading
It's not one I would generally take as it's well over an hour compared to 30-35 mins on the surbiton route.

But you can imagine it being very useful to people who *do* want to travel that way because they want to break their journey en-route and not have to pay for two separate tickets as they are now required to do (assuming no maladministration)?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top