• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Westbury to London - Next Strike Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter166

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2010
Messages
249
Location
NW
I have already booked an off peak return from Westbury to London Paddington using GWR for the next strike weekend (5 & 6 April).
Hopefully the outward journey on 5 April will be Ok but would I be entitled to use an alternative route for the return on 6 April eg. from Waterloo via Salisbury to Westbury using SWR ?
Or should I just cancel & get a refund & drive instead ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,148
Location
Wilmslow
Westbury-Salisbury-Waterloo is already a valid route on an off-peak return, no need for a special arrangement to be put in place. Also valid via Bath-Swindon-Reading and Reading-Waterloo as well as Reading-Paddington.

EDIT Unless your ticket is “VIA NEWBURY”; the above applies to ”ANY PERMITTED”. Apologies if your ticket is the cheaper "VIA NEWBURY" one because my information about a different ticket won't help you.
 
Last edited:

peter166

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2010
Messages
249
Location
NW
Thank you for the information. There is a SWR train at 0850 from Waterloo direct to Westbury & a 1750 as well.
Both take about 2 hours.
I need to corrrect the type of ticket I have. It is a SUPER off peak return. That shouldn't be a problem as its a Saturday?
Its 'any permitted' route.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,148
Location
Wilmslow
Thank you for the information. There is a SWR train at 0850 from Waterloo direct to Westbury & a 1750 as well.
Both take about 2 hours.
I need to corrrect the type of ticket I have. It is a SUPER off peak return. That shouldn't be a problem as its a Saturday?
Its 'any permitted' route.
Super off-peak isn’t a problem, it's the "any permitted" that's important, and there aren't any restrictions on Saturday so that's fine also, so you can use any of the permitted routes including Waterloo-Salisbury. Doesn't have to be a through train, you can change at Salisbury at other times.
 
Last edited:

peter166

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2010
Messages
249
Location
NW
Yes I appreciate that changing at Salisbury is possible but unfortunately all the other services from Salisbury to Westbury are GWR which are unlikely to be running on a strike day (Sat 6/4/24)
Does anyone know if the Paddington to Bath will be running on 6/4?
I recall there was an hourly Paddington - Brisol TM which ran on the last few strike days ?
I could arrange to be picked up at Bath if that is the case.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,148
Location
Wilmslow
Yes I appreciate that changing at Salisbury is possible but unfortunately all the other services from Salisbury to Westbury are GWR which are unlikely to be running on a strike day (Sat 6/4/24)
Does anyone know if the Paddington to Bath will be running on 6/4?
I recall there was an hourly Paddington - Brisol TM which ran on the last few strike days ?
I could arrange to be picked up at Bath if that is the case.
Yes, I keep forgetting the reason you want to go from Waterloo is the lack of GWR trains, anyway I think I helped with part of your quest, I can't answer the Bath question, though.

I lived in Bath in 1994/5 which was nice and the Waterloo-Bristol service was started up when I was there then. Its first incarnation ran non-stop between Basingstoke and Trowbridge which was great for me - I used it to go to IBM in Basingstoke occasionally and I didn't want any of the intermediate stops. Fortunately for you it now stops quite a bit more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top