• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Yorkshire Day Rover on Grand Central Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Hi all.

A tad confused here and this may be due to my Visual Impairment preventing me from seeing maps etc but I am just wondering if I can use a West Yorkshire Dayrover to travel on Grand Central in the boundry area?
http://www.railrover.org/pages/west-yorkshire-day-rover.html
suggests GC arnt one of the participating TOCs but other members seam to have used them without aparent issue.
Any help here appreciated. Cheers.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
The list of participating TOCs is a bit of a red herring. If tickets are restricted by operator then it must be marked as such on the ticket itself (see condition 10 of the NRCoC). The last West Yorks Day ranger I used had no such restriction written on it.

In addition, WY Metro website (the PTE responsible for the ticket) is quite explicit that the train and bus and train day rovers are valid on "on trains in standard class, between any station on West Yorkshire's rail network" - http://www.wymetro.com/TicketsAndPasses/moresavings/WestYorkshireDayRover/

Furthermore, the PTE terms and conditions of the ticket make no such mention of any operator restriction -http://www.wymetro.com/Weekender_terms/

So in my opinion and more importantly according to the NRCoC and the PTE restrictions, the ticket is unequivocally valid on Grand Central services.
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Thanks both. Purely curious as considering using one for a split with a GC Advance. Ta.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Thanks both. Purely curious as considering using one for a split with a GC Advance. Ta.
Since one of the tickets is a 'leisure product' am I correct in assuming that the train needs to call at the split point (as 19 (c) only applies to season tickets)?
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,646
Location
Isle of Man
Thanks both. Purely curious as considering using one for a split with a GC Advance. Ta.

You can only buy the train-only Day Rover on board the train, and the Grand Central train will need to call at the station in West Yorkshire where you intend to change over from the advance to the Day Rover. That won't be an issue as you have an Advance.
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
Since one of the tickets is a 'leisure product' am I correct in assuming that the train needs to call at the split point (as 19 (c) only applies to season tickets)?

Firstly 19c does not only apply to season tickets, but also leisure travel passes too.

Secondly, a West Yorks Day Rover does not constitute a leisure travel pass anyway due to the fact it is only valid for one day:
For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket (excluding Season Tickets) valid for:

(i)
at least 7 consecutive days;
(ii)
or at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and BritRail passes.

So the OP will need an advance to/from a station in West Yorks (which won't be difficult as Grand Central stop at several).
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Firstly 19c does not only apply to season tickets, but also leisure travel passes too.
D'oh! You know sometimes you write something and it makes perfect sense when you read it.... I wasn't thinking of leisure products at all - it was PTE products.
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
D'oh! You know sometimes you write something and it makes perfect sense when you read it.... I wasn't thinking of leisure products at all - it was PTE products.

Well the WY Day Rover is also a PTE product.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Well the WY Day Rover is also a PTE product.
Yeah. I meant to write 'Since one of the tickets is a PTE product'. I remember a thread about someone who wanted to combine a Manchester Wayfarer (I think) with an Advance ticket and they were adamant that the train didn't need to call at the split point. Though, to be honest, I get a bit confused by your southern geography! :D
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,517
Location
Yorkshire
Yes, they are valid.

Condition 10 of the NRCoC does allow tickets to be restricted to particular Train Companies but that doesn't apply in this case.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I believe so, however the service in question does call at the relevant station, Pontifract Munkhill
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks to all, I was purely making totally sure before I bought the Advance!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top