43074
Established Member
- Joined
- 10 Oct 2012
- Messages
- 2,253
Haven't done one of these trip reports before...
One does not simply arrive at Leicester station...
In my case, I arrived at Leicester at 08:14. Unfortunately, I had missed the bus 10 minutes before the one I arrived on, and thus I missed the 08:16 off Leicester to Nuneaton which I had been intending to take. I saw the train depart platform 4 from the footbridge. Swings and roundabouts, hey. I did see 66701 run light engine through Leicester which i wouldn't have done otherwise. But we all have those days when things don't always go to plan. And this was going to be one of them.
A Light 66701
After purchasing a hot chocolate and effecting a rather sudden change of plan, I decided to take the 08:49 Leicester to Nuneaton, on which train I had intended to purchase my West Mids Day Ranger (I had bought a Leicester to Nuneaton Anytime Day Return from the self-service machine). Unfortunately, the East Carribean Guard was so intent on singing ''Trains on the move, I'm in the groove, all tickets and passes please'' down the isle of 170101 that he didn't return to me with his avantix machine, to allow me to purchase the ticket so I could complete the rest of my journey. So, another change of plan ensued, and I went to purchase my ticket from the ticket office at Nuneaton. £11.25 for a Child West Midlands Day Ranger was pretty good value for money, I thought. At Nuneaton I saw 66143 on some car carriers, 90043 on an empty intermodal, 90049 on a loaded intermodal to Trafford Park and 66533 on a loaded container train to from Soton to Brum.
66143's Car Carriers
After the morning's machinations, during which I had changed my plan at least twice (they come in threes don't they?) I decided take the 09:55 London Midland to Crewe, as far as Stafford. But, I changed my plan again on this train and left 350117 at Tamworth instead (a well planned trip, wasn't it?*). There the usual suspects were observed at Tamworth in the form of Pendos, Desiros, Voyagers and Turbostars, with the addition 66544 passing on a train of oil tanks. The weather was overcast with the sun breaking through very occasionally. At Tamworth, I waited for 43301 and 43321 to roll in on the 10:48 off Tamworth (pure coincidence, of course), which would take me to Birmingham. I was very surprised at how well XC had modernised their HST trailers - (the seat reservation system wasn't working but that didn't affect me anyway).
* Actually I had originally intended to do Nuneaton - Stafford - Wolverhampton - Shrewsbury - Hereford - Birmingham - Leamington Spa - Coventry - Nuneaton on the ranger, with Shrewsbury - Hereford on a Child Single. Unfortunately, I had not realised there was an 09:00 Nuneaton to Stafford I could have used until that morning, when I checked the LM timetable and then tried to board the 08:16 at Leicester so I could do this.
43301 approaching Tamworth
Birmingham New Street was in chaos, with a very poorly signed temporary exit from Platform 10 and a lot of confused faces, since the station rebuilding had got underway. I was however, impressed with the new concourse/footbridge which is lovely and spacious (well - as spacious as it could be an New Street anyway). Nothing different or unusual at New Street, just the usual 323s, Turbostars, Desiros, Pendolinos and Sprinters. I duly boarded 158839, working in multiple with 158840, at New Street for a trip up to Shrewsbury. This trip caused my to remember how many canals there are in Birmingham - I hadn't been for a few years. I also liked how ATW had refurbished their Class 158s - as far as 158s go, they're probably the best refurbished 158s I'd been on. This 158 and the XC Mark 3s shows how well British Rail stock could be refurbished if done properly. If only Northern would take note...
On alighting from the pair of 158s at Shrewsbury, I made my way to the ticket office, at which I would purchase a Child single to Hereford. For £9.50 that was nowhere near as good value as my Day Ranger. On a separate note, does anyone know of a cheaper way I could do this journey via the Welsh Marches? At Shrewsbury, more of the usual were seen, but a 66 did pass around the station avoider on a coal train. The signal box and all of the semaphores are impressive - I wonder how long they'll last? 175108 rolled in slightly late at 13:20 for a trip down the Welsh Marches. The scenery was magnificent and the journey was surprisingly fast, especially for a route that doesn't even go via Birmingham nor does it link any major areas of population (I know it does link Shrewsbury and Hereford which are cities so perhaps that explains it?)
66526 on the Shrewsbury avoider
175108 having dropped me in Hereford for a late lunch.
Having fed and watered myself in Hereford, I departed in the relative ''comfort'' of an FGW HST (It was either an HST or a Turbostar on the 15:38 so I think I knew which to go for). The scenery on the Cotswold and Malverns Line (trips of the tongue doesn't it?) is superb, as is the viaduct at Ledbury. I left my FGW HST to joinmy bus 172344 on the 16:07 to Whitlock's End. I was to alight at Stourbridge Junction. The 16:07 was full of school kids from RGS Worcester, who were perfectly amiable to travel near. If only that could be said of the publicly educated in Leicester, some of whom I wouldn't touch with a barge pole...
43140 having left me in Worcester
I changedbuses trains at Stourbridge Junction, to join 139002 on the Stourbridge Shuttle. The car was full and standing, but not uncomfortable for the 3 minute journey. Hell, the ride quality must be worse than a pacer! It whined it's way to Stourbridge Town and back, and I was pleased to finally alight from the ''vehicle'' at Stourbridge Junction. What's wrong with a 153? Better than a PPM anytime.
139002 arriving SBJ. Don't quite know what the driver was doing...
Back at Stourbridge Junction, 172343 rolled in at 16:58 on the 17:06 to Leamington Spa. Now, I don't mind the 172s, but if you put a 'Wright' bus body onto the bombardier chassis, we could create a new pacer for rural lines. Any takers?
Having enjoyed travelling on 158839/840 to Shrewsbury earlier in the day, I decided to change at Smethwick Galton Bridge for the 17:22 to Birmingham International, which was formed of 158831 and 841. I would question the necessity for Arriva Trains Wales to take up valuable paths on such a congested twin track railway into and out of Birmingham. I was one of 10 in the whole carriage, and there can only have been 50 people who alighted at Birmingham International. From a 4-carriage train, that is pitiful.
158830 arrives Smethwick Galton Bridge. Do they really need to run through to Birmingham International??
I crossed platforms at International, to board my next train. I waited 10 minutes, and saw 323201 on a local from Birmingham (I assume) and 390126 depart on a service to New Street. 390132 rolled in on Platform 4 to take me to Coventry. Neither of them are particularly pleasant stations to say the least...
I honestly do not understand what is so bad about a Pendolino? The seat was comfortable, the windows are adequate (even if perhaps a little small), and they look sleek and modern. It was luxury compared to my next victim, 153334 which I would take from Coventry to Nuneaton. The finale of the day, was rather more lucky (for me) than the start. 170108 (god, it was sad how I knew which one it was by looking at the broken Destination Display) arrived late on the delayed 18:52 to Stansted. I reached platform 7 just as my train home was rolling in. I do have this irritating habit of cutting it fine... Thankfully I hadn't been using advance fares.
Thanks for Reading
One does not simply arrive at Leicester station...
In my case, I arrived at Leicester at 08:14. Unfortunately, I had missed the bus 10 minutes before the one I arrived on, and thus I missed the 08:16 off Leicester to Nuneaton which I had been intending to take. I saw the train depart platform 4 from the footbridge. Swings and roundabouts, hey. I did see 66701 run light engine through Leicester which i wouldn't have done otherwise. But we all have those days when things don't always go to plan. And this was going to be one of them.
After purchasing a hot chocolate and effecting a rather sudden change of plan, I decided to take the 08:49 Leicester to Nuneaton, on which train I had intended to purchase my West Mids Day Ranger (I had bought a Leicester to Nuneaton Anytime Day Return from the self-service machine). Unfortunately, the East Carribean Guard was so intent on singing ''Trains on the move, I'm in the groove, all tickets and passes please'' down the isle of 170101 that he didn't return to me with his avantix machine, to allow me to purchase the ticket so I could complete the rest of my journey. So, another change of plan ensued, and I went to purchase my ticket from the ticket office at Nuneaton. £11.25 for a Child West Midlands Day Ranger was pretty good value for money, I thought. At Nuneaton I saw 66143 on some car carriers, 90043 on an empty intermodal, 90049 on a loaded intermodal to Trafford Park and 66533 on a loaded container train to from Soton to Brum.
After the morning's machinations, during which I had changed my plan at least twice (they come in threes don't they?) I decided take the 09:55 London Midland to Crewe, as far as Stafford. But, I changed my plan again on this train and left 350117 at Tamworth instead (a well planned trip, wasn't it?*). There the usual suspects were observed at Tamworth in the form of Pendos, Desiros, Voyagers and Turbostars, with the addition 66544 passing on a train of oil tanks. The weather was overcast with the sun breaking through very occasionally. At Tamworth, I waited for 43301 and 43321 to roll in on the 10:48 off Tamworth (pure coincidence, of course), which would take me to Birmingham. I was very surprised at how well XC had modernised their HST trailers - (the seat reservation system wasn't working but that didn't affect me anyway).
* Actually I had originally intended to do Nuneaton - Stafford - Wolverhampton - Shrewsbury - Hereford - Birmingham - Leamington Spa - Coventry - Nuneaton on the ranger, with Shrewsbury - Hereford on a Child Single. Unfortunately, I had not realised there was an 09:00 Nuneaton to Stafford I could have used until that morning, when I checked the LM timetable and then tried to board the 08:16 at Leicester so I could do this.
Birmingham New Street was in chaos, with a very poorly signed temporary exit from Platform 10 and a lot of confused faces, since the station rebuilding had got underway. I was however, impressed with the new concourse/footbridge which is lovely and spacious (well - as spacious as it could be an New Street anyway). Nothing different or unusual at New Street, just the usual 323s, Turbostars, Desiros, Pendolinos and Sprinters. I duly boarded 158839, working in multiple with 158840, at New Street for a trip up to Shrewsbury. This trip caused my to remember how many canals there are in Birmingham - I hadn't been for a few years. I also liked how ATW had refurbished their Class 158s - as far as 158s go, they're probably the best refurbished 158s I'd been on. This 158 and the XC Mark 3s shows how well British Rail stock could be refurbished if done properly. If only Northern would take note...
On alighting from the pair of 158s at Shrewsbury, I made my way to the ticket office, at which I would purchase a Child single to Hereford. For £9.50 that was nowhere near as good value as my Day Ranger. On a separate note, does anyone know of a cheaper way I could do this journey via the Welsh Marches? At Shrewsbury, more of the usual were seen, but a 66 did pass around the station avoider on a coal train. The signal box and all of the semaphores are impressive - I wonder how long they'll last? 175108 rolled in slightly late at 13:20 for a trip down the Welsh Marches. The scenery was magnificent and the journey was surprisingly fast, especially for a route that doesn't even go via Birmingham nor does it link any major areas of population (I know it does link Shrewsbury and Hereford which are cities so perhaps that explains it?)
Having fed and watered myself in Hereford, I departed in the relative ''comfort'' of an FGW HST (It was either an HST or a Turbostar on the 15:38 so I think I knew which to go for). The scenery on the Cotswold and Malverns Line (trips of the tongue doesn't it?) is superb, as is the viaduct at Ledbury. I left my FGW HST to join
I changed
Back at Stourbridge Junction, 172343 rolled in at 16:58 on the 17:06 to Leamington Spa. Now, I don't mind the 172s, but if you put a 'Wright' bus body onto the bombardier chassis, we could create a new pacer for rural lines. Any takers?
Having enjoyed travelling on 158839/840 to Shrewsbury earlier in the day, I decided to change at Smethwick Galton Bridge for the 17:22 to Birmingham International, which was formed of 158831 and 841. I would question the necessity for Arriva Trains Wales to take up valuable paths on such a congested twin track railway into and out of Birmingham. I was one of 10 in the whole carriage, and there can only have been 50 people who alighted at Birmingham International. From a 4-carriage train, that is pitiful.
I crossed platforms at International, to board my next train. I waited 10 minutes, and saw 323201 on a local from Birmingham (I assume) and 390126 depart on a service to New Street. 390132 rolled in on Platform 4 to take me to Coventry. Neither of them are particularly pleasant stations to say the least...
I honestly do not understand what is so bad about a Pendolino? The seat was comfortable, the windows are adequate (even if perhaps a little small), and they look sleek and modern. It was luxury compared to my next victim, 153334 which I would take from Coventry to Nuneaton. The finale of the day, was rather more lucky (for me) than the start. 170108 (god, it was sad how I knew which one it was by looking at the broken Destination Display) arrived late on the delayed 18:52 to Stansted. I reached platform 7 just as my train home was rolling in. I do have this irritating habit of cutting it fine... Thankfully I hadn't been using advance fares.
Thanks for Reading
Last edited: