smallbean09
Member
Hello everyone,
I am looking for advice regarding a difficult situation I am currently facing against West Midlands Trains. I was recently caught using a childs ticket at Birmingham New Street Station, when I am 19. I know this is wrong and I admitted I was in the wrong when I was questioned by a ticket inspector.
I recently got an email saying "Further investigations into this matter have been carried out, including a review of the ticket records. It would appear, at this stage, that this may be a case of fraud. West Midlands Trains take travel fraud extremely seriously and is committed to prosecuting all cases of fare evasion to the full extent of the law. Travelling on the railway with the intent to avoid paying the full fare is an offence under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889. Such an offence carries a maximum fine of £1,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment and, in either case, a criminal record. It must also be considered whether this matter amounts to a much more serious offence under the Fraud Act 2006".
I responded to this email with this:
I am writing to apologise for the incident of travelling with a child’s ticket on the 23rd of October 2024. I understand the gravity of my actions, and I genuinely regret my irresponsible and dishonest behaviour, particularly as you will have noticed that I have purchased child fares on other occasions too.
Taking full responsibility, I understand that my actions were dishonest and against the law, for which I am truly sorry. When asked by the ticket inspector at Birmingham New Street station, I told him my real age, which is 19. In relation to the fares avoided, I seek your understanding and consideration in settling this matter outside court, and I am committed to accepting any appropriate consequences for my actions.
I am willing to rectify the situation with immediate effect by paying the full amount of the unpaid fares, and any additional administrative costs incurred in dealing with this matter. Furthermore, I assure you that such behaviour will never be repeated, as I am committed to adhering strictly to all regulations governing public transport. I will be seeking information regarding the cost of a 16-25 railcard, to reduce the cost of any future train tickets I purchase.
I am sorry for my actions, and I am willing to cooperate fully if any additional information is required. To move this matter forward, I would be grateful if you could set out the amount of outstanding fares, your costs, and details of how to make payment, by reply.
I look forward to hearing from you and to bringing this matter to a close.
--
They have sent me an email this morning (14th November) stating all the times I 'fraudulently' travelled on West Midlands Trains. Please see attached table below:
On occasions where it says 16-17 saver, I actually did have a 16-17 save card which I can send them proof of. On the 5th of July 2022, I used a 16-25 railcard. I actually did have a 16-25 railcard at this time which i can also send them proof of.
My problem now is, at later dates where I have used a 16-25 railcard on my trainline account it has been my partner's railcard but tickets paid with on my account in my name. Am I incriminating myself if I say I bought the tickets, I was with my partner on these journeys, but it was his railcard? Also, with the family and friends railcard I bought the tickets, but travelled with my mum both times - she had a F&F railcard but can't find proof of purchasing this.
I don't believe I owe £1013.48. I don't know how to prove to them that I was travelling with my partner/mum. Is it illegal to state you have a railcard but buy tickets on your own account with someone elses railcard, even if they are with you?
I am so sorry for this lengthy message. I just hope someone can help me on what to do with this. I am a student with little money, I don't have the total amount they are asking for.
Thank you so much for your help
I am looking for advice regarding a difficult situation I am currently facing against West Midlands Trains. I was recently caught using a childs ticket at Birmingham New Street Station, when I am 19. I know this is wrong and I admitted I was in the wrong when I was questioned by a ticket inspector.
I recently got an email saying "Further investigations into this matter have been carried out, including a review of the ticket records. It would appear, at this stage, that this may be a case of fraud. West Midlands Trains take travel fraud extremely seriously and is committed to prosecuting all cases of fare evasion to the full extent of the law. Travelling on the railway with the intent to avoid paying the full fare is an offence under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889. Such an offence carries a maximum fine of £1,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment and, in either case, a criminal record. It must also be considered whether this matter amounts to a much more serious offence under the Fraud Act 2006".
I responded to this email with this:
I am writing to apologise for the incident of travelling with a child’s ticket on the 23rd of October 2024. I understand the gravity of my actions, and I genuinely regret my irresponsible and dishonest behaviour, particularly as you will have noticed that I have purchased child fares on other occasions too.
Taking full responsibility, I understand that my actions were dishonest and against the law, for which I am truly sorry. When asked by the ticket inspector at Birmingham New Street station, I told him my real age, which is 19. In relation to the fares avoided, I seek your understanding and consideration in settling this matter outside court, and I am committed to accepting any appropriate consequences for my actions.
I am willing to rectify the situation with immediate effect by paying the full amount of the unpaid fares, and any additional administrative costs incurred in dealing with this matter. Furthermore, I assure you that such behaviour will never be repeated, as I am committed to adhering strictly to all regulations governing public transport. I will be seeking information regarding the cost of a 16-25 railcard, to reduce the cost of any future train tickets I purchase.
I am sorry for my actions, and I am willing to cooperate fully if any additional information is required. To move this matter forward, I would be grateful if you could set out the amount of outstanding fares, your costs, and details of how to make payment, by reply.
I look forward to hearing from you and to bringing this matter to a close.
--
They have sent me an email this morning (14th November) stating all the times I 'fraudulently' travelled on West Midlands Trains. Please see attached table below:
Departure | Origin | Destination | Child | Railcard | Price |
04/01/2022 11:48 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 16-17 Saver | 7.10 | |
22/02/2022 16:34 | Droitwich Spa | Birmingham New Street | 16-17 Saver | 17.00 | |
26/02/2022 12:48 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 16-17 Saver | 13.40 | |
26/03/2022 12:12 | Bromsgrove | Worcester Foregate Street | 16-17 Saver | 5.00 | |
13/05/2022 17:04 | Birmingham New Street | Liverpool Lime Street | 16-17 Saver | 89.10 | |
10/04/2022 17:21 | Bromsgrove | Worcester Foregate Street | 16-17 Saver | 5.90 | |
21/04/2022 13:33 | Droitwich Spa | Birmingham New Street | 16-17 Saver | 26.40 | |
28/05/2022 09:33 | Birmingham New Street | Coventry | 16-17 Saver | 8.50 | |
18/05/2022 14:11 | Bromsgrove | Worcester Foregate Street | 16-17 Saver | 5.00 | |
28/05/2022 08:29 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 16-17 Saver | 7.00 | |
05/07/2022 16:29 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 16-25 Railcard | 18.37 | |
22/07/2022 12:33 | Droitwich Spa | Birmingham New Street | 2 | | 17.60 |
25/07/2022 12:01 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 2 | | 14.80 |
08/08/2022 11:33 | Droitwich Spa | Birmingham New Street | 2 | | 32.40 |
10/08/2022 10:12 | Bromsgrove | Worcester Foregate Street | 1 | | 5.90 |
02/09/2022 15:01 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 17.10 |
10/09/2022 09:33 | Droitwich Spa | University (Birmingham) | 1 | | 8.20 |
10/09/2022 15:31 | University (Birmingham) | Bromsgrove | 1 | | 6.40 |
14/10/2022 16:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 7.00 |
07/10/2022 15:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 7.00 |
11/10/2022 16:12 | Bromsgrove | Worcester Foregate Street | 1 | | 5.90 |
26/10/2022 09:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 7.00 |
20/10/2022 16:12 | Bromsgrove | Droitwich Spa | 1 | | 3.80 |
22/10/2022 17:24 | Worcester Foregate Street | Bromsgrove | 1 | | 5.00 |
02/11/2022 16:12 | Bromsgrove | Droitwich Spa | 1 | | 3.80 |
12/11/2022 17:33 | Droitwich Spa | Birmingham New Street | 2 | | 17.60 |
01/12/2022 17:42 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 13.60 |
05/12/2022 13:23 | Birmingham New Street | Bromsgrove | 1 | | 7.00 |
20/01/2023 16:41 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 37.90 |
22/02/2023 10:03 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 2 | Family & Friends Railcard | 65.62 |
04/02/2023 09:03 | Bromsgrove | University (Birmingham) | 1 | | 6.40 |
04/02/2023 14:56 | University (Birmingham) | Lichfield Trent Valley | 1 | | 7.40 |
10/02/2023 15:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 30.40 |
08/03/2023 10:03 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 0 | Family & Friends Railcard | 57.82 |
11/04/2023 09:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 2 | | 46.00 |
17/03/2023 15:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 32.20 |
19/04/2023 13:42 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 0 | 16-25 Railcard | 13.50 |
10/06/2023 12:03 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 0 | 16-25 Railcard | 19.35 |
12/06/2023 13:03 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 7.80 |
27/07/2023 11:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 0 | 16-25 Railcard | 7.65 |
11/08/2023 15:24 | Droitwich Spa | Birmingham Snow Hill | 0 | 16-25 Railcard | 18.00 |
17/08/2023 19:42 | Bromsgrove | Worcester Foregate Street | 0 | 16-25 Railcard | 5.17 |
07/09/2023 09:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 39.00 |
20/09/2023 13:03 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 7.80 |
15/12/2023 12:43 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 7.80 |
06/04/2024 16:03 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 7.80 |
29/05/2024 15:03 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 0 | 16-25 Railcard | 20.40 |
05/08/2024 09:13 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 9.40 |
23/10/2024 16:02 | Bromsgrove | Birmingham New Street | 1 | | 8.20 |
| Admin | 175.00 | ||||
| Total | 1013.48 |
On occasions where it says 16-17 saver, I actually did have a 16-17 save card which I can send them proof of. On the 5th of July 2022, I used a 16-25 railcard. I actually did have a 16-25 railcard at this time which i can also send them proof of.
My problem now is, at later dates where I have used a 16-25 railcard on my trainline account it has been my partner's railcard but tickets paid with on my account in my name. Am I incriminating myself if I say I bought the tickets, I was with my partner on these journeys, but it was his railcard? Also, with the family and friends railcard I bought the tickets, but travelled with my mum both times - she had a F&F railcard but can't find proof of purchasing this.
I don't believe I owe £1013.48. I don't know how to prove to them that I was travelling with my partner/mum. Is it illegal to state you have a railcard but buy tickets on your own account with someone elses railcard, even if they are with you?
I am so sorry for this lengthy message. I just hope someone can help me on what to do with this. I am a student with little money, I don't have the total amount they are asking for.
Thank you so much for your help
