• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Day Ranger, 18/12/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
It had been a while since I'd had a play out, so I decided to head south in search of new track, new shacks and a bit of loco haulage.

I arrived at Rochdale in time for the 0717 to Manchester, but let this go as it was a completely wedged 142. The following 0730 service was a five car 144 rake, headed by 144002 - which was my last required one and a very unexpected first winner of the day! Transferring to Metrolink, I squeezed aboard a full and standing 3036 for the short trip from Victoria to Piccadilly. Time for a smoke here, then boarded the 08.30 ATW to Milford Haven - and got off again 5 minutes later as it had been blocked in by a failed 185!

Plan B - toddled over to Platform 6 for a winning Pendo 002 as far as Crewe on the 0855. Ground mist lingered over the drab Cheshire plain, and I wondered whether it would ever burn off.

I had originally planned to approach Brum from Lichfield (required track, the only time I'd been south of Lichfield City previously was in 1981, and 40023 on the CHARTEX went via Walsall;) ). With the late departure from Manchester plans changed so I headed directly to Smethwick Galton Bridge. And nemesis struck my red pen as 350245 appeared - the only 350/2 I'd previously sampled...

Bodysnatchers 57311/309 followed me to Stafford in the slowly dispersing mist, whilst Tram No. 10 in a dubious pink livery passed underneath south of Wolverhampton.

Upstairs at Smethwick GB, my first ever 172 (I'd not even SEEN one before), 172332 took me to required shack #1 - Stourbridge Junction. Now time for a bit of new track, and another new class for haulage.

Does anyone remember the Top Gear Amphibious Car challenge? Well if anyone is wondering what happened to "The Hamster's" canal-boat-on-wheels effort, I can report that it has been salvaged, repainted, renumbered 139001 and duly transported me, two other cranks, half a dozen rail staff and a couple of bemused normals to Stourbridge Town (newshack #2) and back again. Quite an amusing contraption, but probably the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever travelled in.

Returning to sanity, 172333 (winner) took me to Kidderminster, and 172345 (winner) to Worcester Foregate Street (newshack #3) via a small bit of new track for me round the direct curve. Baling here for a smoke, I discovered the local Wetherspoons ("The Postal Order"), so raked in a swift half of North Cotswold, Cotswold Best before returning to the platform for a trip on 170517.

I alighted at University, and then proceeded on an orgie of 323 bashing and shack scratching on the way to Redditch (track required from Barnt Green) and back. The gory details are as follows:
323205 (winner) to Bourneville (newshack #4)
323214 (winner) to Longbridge (newshack # 5, and a right dump)
323221 (winner) to Alvechurch (newshack #6).

At Alvechurch, I felt in need of a walk, a wee and a beer. The latter two were found in the excellent "Weighbridge", a CAMRA recommendation 5 minutes walk from the station, where a pint of Kinver, Bargees Bitter was duly sampled.

Returning to the railway, and in the same spirit as before:
323241 (winner) to Redditch (newshack #7)
323201 to Kings Norton (newshack #8)
323203 (winner) to Selly Oak (newshack #9)
323204 (winner) to New St.

I then ambled over to Moor Street aiming for the loco-hauled 1555 to Marylebone and found - 168216! Apparently there was a problem with one of the loco-hauled rakes that day. So I nipped over to the through platform and did 172343 (winner) to Solihull (newshack #10) for 168216 (very comfortable units these) to Leamington. Here, I had a walk into town for a burger.

Returning to the station, time for a bit of locomotive haulage (or shovage). 67013 (winner) took me back to Solihull on the 1634 from Marylebone, with 67012 (winner) through to Rowley Regis (newshack #11) on the following 1715. A winning 172341 back to Galton Bridge, then I reversed my route to Rochdale via 158830, 350254 (winner), 323236 (not as comfortable as the Centro ones), winning trams 3041 and 3003, and finally 158860.

Verdict. A Good day out, and good value. Most comfortable train used - 168216 (the Mark 3s are spoiled by the fixed armrests). Least comfortable train used - 323236 (the metrolink trams and the Hamsterwheel device are not trains, imho!)

Still have to go back and do Lichfield to Aston, though...<D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top