• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West London Line to Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
Does anyone have experience of using District Line vs South Western Railway to get from West London Line to Wimbledon as the final destination? It's much cheaper to use the District Line which is on the LU fare scale compared to the South Western Railway on the NR fare scale (£2 vs £3 peak hour), but I'm not sure how much time I will save if I transfer at Clapham Junction vs West Brompton as different apps disagree with each other (some show going via District is faster but some show the opposite)!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,824
Location
West of Andover
I assume if someone touched in at West Brompton then touched out at Wimbledon the system will charge the lower fare as it won't be able to say which way the passenger came?

As for time wise, looks like LU is roughly every 5 minutes and takes around 16 minutes, using the Overground/Southern to Clapham is around 9 minutes (5 trains an hour) & SWR being roughly 5+ minutes, excluding the time taken to change from platform 1 (or 17) to platform 11 & to wait. So unless the district line has fallen over 9 times out of 10 that will be the quickest way to Wimbledon.

That's from West Brompton, from further afield (Shep's Bush) then it might be different, assuming you are already on an overground train (or Southern)
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
I didn't make the journey towards Wimbledon but did make the return.

I used 4 different apps for routing from Crook Billet to Cricklewood Broadway, starting at 20:35 and they all gave different options after the initial 200 bus, including a direct Thameslink home, SWR then Jubilee then bus, SWR then Overground then bus, District then Overground then bus.

Among the 4 apps I use Citymapper produced significant earlier arrival time than all other apps, with the fastest way home SWR then Jubilee then bus, with the District / SWR then Overground options came a close second, connecting into the same Overground train (20:52 District / 20:53 SWR).

As the Overground has a much nicer ride and connection than taking the Jubilee from Waterloo, I chose this option as well. Unfortunately I didn't make the 20:52 train after alighting the bus at 20:49 with a busy road crossing to the station, so I took the 20:57 train (I wouldn't make the 20:53 SWR too), and as I alighted at West Brompton at 21:14 I saw the Overground train just departed and had to wait for a long time for the next one, nullifying the time saving by using Citymapper compared to other apps. The District train become rammed at Southfields because of tennis .

Checking the National Rail timetable I wouldn't make that Overground train if I took the next SWR also, so I couldn't have any conclusions which line is faster.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top