• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Highland Line Closure in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

FtoE

Member
Joined
27 Jul 2015
Messages
84

(Sorry if this is old news / posted elsewhere)

From the BBC
“A railway line hailed as one of the most scenic in the world is to have £15m of repairs and improvements”.



Closure for 9 days 7th - 17th November between FTW & CNR.

Again, it’s all about scenery and the Glenfinnan viaduct. Flattering (and true, of course) but this continuing referencing to the line as simply a tourist novelty concerns me.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,755

(Sorry if this is old news / posted elsewhere)

Closure for 9 days 7th - 17th November between FTW & CNR.

Again, it’s all about scenery and the Glenfinnan viaduct. Flattering (and true, of course) but this continuing referencing to the line as simply a tourist novelty concerns me.
I guess journalistic flourish isn’t always equal to transport policy but I do see your point.
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,846
It pretty much is a tourist novelty. October to March it's an absolute basket case, slower than driving to any destination. Very few locals use it. It's only tourists that keep it going . (In the summer)
 

bleeder4

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2019
Messages
792
Location
Worcester
It pretty much is a tourist novelty. October to March it's an absolute basket case, slower than driving to any destination. Very few locals use it. It's only tourists that keep it going . (In the summer)
I was going to say the same thing. It's my favourite railway line and I go up there several times a year (as a tourist). Every time I do it the train is always full of tourists, often from overseas. I have never got the impression it is used by locals.
 

RGM654

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2022
Messages
244
Location
Harrow
Is it just "the line between Crianlarich and Fort William (which) is to be closed"? If so, why mention Glenfinnan, Oban and Mallaig?
 

N1

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2022
Messages
385
I was going to say the same thing. It's my favourite railway line and I go up there several times a year (as a tourist). Every time I do it the train is always full of tourists, often from overseas. I have never got the impression it is used by locals.
I use it for bagging from Glasgow, but tbh Citylink/Ember is more practical for that as well. Went to the Small isles last year from Mallaig and trains only meet ferries on a Saturday so requires a stay at Mallaig or nearby anyway.
 

InOban

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2017
Messages
4,537
It pretty much is a tourist novelty. October to March it's an absolute basket case, slower than driving to any destination. Very few locals use it. It's only tourists that keep it going . (In the summer)
To be fair there's also the thrice weekly alumina train. But as far as passengers are concerned, the coach is much more frequent much quicker and serves useful places such as Glencoe Ballachulish and Onich.

I also get annoyed when maintenance, albeit longterm, is labelled as improvements.
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,846
There's a good bit of local traffic between Oban and Connel/Taynuilt and the same around Fort William but not much end to end traffic in the winter. A shame as the scenery is much better in the quiet months due to the lack of vegetation on the trees. Spring and autumn also present some spectacular sunrises and sunsets along the route.
 

Tazi Hupefi

On Moderation
Joined
1 Apr 2018
Messages
1,931
Location
Nottinghamshire
I think they're missing a trick by not doing a Glacier / Bernier Express style premium tourist service on this route, with a single coach for the few "normal" passengers. Class 156s don't do the route justice, and a substantial number of passengers would pay significantly more for premium travel, not to mention coach parties going one way etc.

Pretty much everyone on the route is travelling specifically for the rail journey itself, as part of a wider holiday/experience with accomodation in Oban/Fort William etc.

I reckon such an Open Access operator would thrive on this route, if ScotRail relinquished the paths.
 

hermit

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2019
Messages
443
Location
Isle of Wight
Pretty much everyone on the route is travelling specifically for the rail journey itself, as part of a wider holiday/experience with accomodation in Oban/Fort William etc.
Not really true - you’re overlooking the substantial numbers of climbers and hill walkers who use the line to reach the area from outside, or to get to jumping-off points for Munro-bagging expeditions or cross-country treks. Rannoch, Corrour and Tulloch are particularly valuable for this, being difficult or impossible to reach by road, but almost any of the stations can be starting points for worthwhile walks.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,906
I reckon such an Open Access operator would thrive on this route, if ScotRail relinquished the paths.

There’s already an open access operator on one part of it.

And I’m sure paths exist for anyone who wants to run an open access service south of Ft Bill.
 
Joined
3 Mar 2020
Messages
676
Location
Furness
I think
Are they still in business? I seem to recall they were having trouble with the authorities over Mark I Coaching Stock.
I think some of it was sat around waiting to be scrapped at Carnforth when I went past this morning. The company wais still in business this morning from what I saw.
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
I did a circular earlier this year. Got the bus to Fort William, as that goes via Glencoe, then the train back
 

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2020
Messages
1,677
Location
North East Cheshire
A rail replacement bus for Rannoch would be interesting - more likely a taxi to/from Pitlochry as and when required. Leaving Corrour out of my thoughts!
 
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
395
Location
Inverness
A rail replacement bus for Rannoch would be interesting - more likely a taxi to/from Pitlochry as and when required. Leaving Corrour out of my thoughts!
I’m sure I’ve read an account of a rail replacement taxi journey from Glasgow to Corrour, in the winter.

Corrour station is accessible by car via some private estate tracks, though they’re only for authorised users and most points of access from the public road are blocked by locked gates. I believe the taxi driver simply followed his sat nav and didn’t question it.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,906
I’m sure I’ve read an account of a rail replacement taxi journey from Glasgow to Corrour, in the winter.

Corrour station is accessible by car via some private estate tracks, though they’re only for authorised users and most points of access from the public road are blocked by locked gates. I believe the taxi driver simply followed his sat nav and didn’t question it.

The car would need to have been a 4x4 with good ground clearance. A Prius wouldn’t make it!
 

MrEd

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2019
Messages
599
Noticed that the Sleeper isn't running to Oban during this block, cancelled instead.
This hasn’t happened since (I think) 2017, when the old sleeper stock (Mk3s with Mk2 buffet and brake) was still in use. I’m not sure that the new Mk5 stock is cleared for the Oban line. I suspect that the sleeper guards’ route knowledge has lapsed by now, and possibly the drivers’ too as I don’t think GBRf otherwise have any regular work on the Oban line.

As I understand it, the diversion to Oban was impractical and also uneconomical as the sleeper stock needed to return empty to Polmadie for servicing then back in time for the evening departure, there being no servicing facilities at Oban. Given that the West Highland Line closures are in low season, it is much more cost effective to put on a bus from Kingussie for the Fort William sleeper passengers. Passengers for stations between Helensburgh and Bridge of Orchy can probably just as easily be directed to the Lowlander to Glasgow and a Citylink bus forward.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Have the Mk5s ever been to Oban?
I don’t think so, I’m not sure they’re even cleared for the Oban line.
 

snookertam

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2018
Messages
927
This block usually happens in late autumn every year. Same with the Mallaig branch, only this year they, bizarrely, did the Mallaig branch in September which is still high season. Line needs to get prepared for winter operation.

Almost certain there are similar blocks in Spring as well.
 

Rab Smith

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2021
Messages
300
Location
Cardiff
It's fortunate for Scotlands rural lines to be existing in this new world of green targets and net zero policies. Lines that would most probably get closed are relatively safe. Any government attempting to close them would be commiting political suicide.
Summer patronage does go some way to keeping the costs down but the subsidy per passenger year round is high. It would be unthinkable to close these Highland lines but as far as locals would be concerned, I don't think they'd be missed too much.
I do think that a regular steam service from Inverness to Kyle would bring in a few tourists.
 
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
395
Location
Inverness
The car would need to have been a 4x4 with good ground clearance. A Prius wouldn’t make it!
I’ve never driven it but I have walked sections of the route. The road on the south(?) side of Loch Ossian is much better than that on the north.

I’ve seen some regular cars in the carpark at Corrour Station so I assume it must be passable with care at least in summer conditions.
 

Rab Smith

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2021
Messages
300
Location
Cardiff
I’ve never driven it but I have walked sections of the route. The road on the south(?) side of Loch Ossian is much better than that on the north.

I’ve seen some regular cars in the carpark at Corrour Station so I assume it must be passable with care at least in summer conditions.
It's not a flat road by all means but Corrour Estate keeps it in relatively good condition. Saying that, I've only ever driven up it in a Hilux and if taking a car, would be driving a it very carefully over the surface.
You need permission from the estate owner to even attempt it.
 
Joined
31 Jan 2020
Messages
395
Location
Inverness
It's not a flat road by all means but Corrour Estate keeps it in relatively good condition. Saying that, I've only ever driven up it in a Hilux and if taking a car, would be driving a it very carefully over the surface.
You need permission from the estate owner to even attempt it.
Yes, for the avoidance of doubt I have no intentions of driving there nor encouraging it.
 

MrEd

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2019
Messages
599
It's fortunate for Scotlands rural lines to be existing in this new world of green targets and net zero policies. Lines that would most probably get closed are relatively safe. Any government attempting to close them would be commiting political suicide.
Summer patronage does go some way to keeping the costs down but the subsidy per passenger year round is high. It would be unthinkable to close these Highland lines but as far as locals would be concerned, I don't think they'd be missed too much.
I do think that a regular steam service from Inverness to Kyle would bring in a few tourists.
Depends which line as to whether it’s used much by locals. Locals from Kyle, Plockton, Lochcarron, south Skye etc definitely do use the Kyle line (my local line) for shopping trips etc to Inverness, particularly as it’s cheaper and more comfortable than the Citylink bus, which does not serve Plockton or the Lochcarron area at all. In the summer months they probably are very much outnumbered by tourists but there are still enough users to justify four trains each way per day Monday to Saturday all year round. The Sunday trains to and from Kyle seem just as busy in winter as in summer. It’s very rare that I travel on a Kyle line train which is overcrowded but equally rare to travel on a quiet one, at any time of year.

I rarely go to Oban by train but when I did use the service, on a rare sunny Saturday in early November 2023, there were quite a few locals travelling from Taynuilt and Connel into Oban for shopping or to visit the pub. The train was mostly day trippers or tourists until Taynuilt but was still remarkably busy for the time of year. I am aware that the Oban line has school traffic from Dalmally to Oban High School, some kids from Plockton High School also use the Kyle train to return home from school.

The Far North Line north of Tain is a completely different story - I doubt anyone in Wick/Helmsdale/Golspie would use the trains out of choice because the route is so indirect. Winter loadings for this route must be very low.

I’m almost never on the West Highland Line north of Crianlarich except on the sleeper so can’t comment about usage of those services. I cannot imagine many Fort William folk preferring it over the bus to Glasgow because of the indirect route and much longer journey time.
 

HighlandStorm

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2024
Messages
170
Location
Inverness
I’m almost never on the West Highland Line north of Crianlarich except on the sleeper so can’t comment about usage of those services. I cannot imagine many Fort William folk preferring it over the bus to Glasgow because of the indirect route and much longer journey time.

There’s a cost factor too vs the Highland Mainline for Highland residents because of the Highland Railcard. Compare the resultant open return fare from Kingussie to Glasgow at £63.60 and Tulloch at £25.

Inverness to Glasgow is £74.20 while Spean Bridge or Fort William is £32.55 for an open return with a Highland Railcard.

If you were in Fort Augustus and wanted to take the train into Glasgow to avoid driving all the way - which direction would you go?

Fort William to Glasgow out tomorrow and back Saturday is £33 on citylink at present (cheaper than singles) and £41 on Ember. I think citylink returns have come down, though unlike Ember it’s not a fixed price. Anyone wanting to do Fort William to/from Edinburgh by public transport though, Ember is now the clear cut favourite there!
 

studophile

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
West London
Out of interest, does anyone know where the 'Feith footbridge' is that was "renewed"? Or know more precise details of all the work done under this block? I'm also often not a fan of the language used by infrastructure operators/maintainers to describe what I'd call 'maintenance'. I'm sure there's a bit of a (political) desire to make work sound more major/impressive than it might really be, so am interested to see what they mean by 'Renewal of Feith footbridge' and if 'Renewal' even has a consistent definition... Thanks for any extra detail/insight (any of you at NR may even be able to share the 'official' categories of potential work and their current definitions...?).

Just for completeness, the work was all done as planned according to the NR press release a couple of days ago.

 

Struner

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
928
Location
Ommelanden, EU
Out of interest, does anyone know where the 'Feith footbridge' is that was "renewed"? Or know more precise details of all the work done under this block? I'm also often not a fan of the language used by infrastructure operators/maintainers to describe what I'd call 'maintenance'. I'm sure there's a bit of a (political) desire to make work sound more major/impressive than it might really be, so am interested to see what they mean by 'Renewal of Feith footbridge' and if 'Renewal' even has a consistent definition... Thanks for any extra detail/insight (any of you at NR may even be able to share the 'official' categories of potential work and their current definitions...?).

Just for completeness, the work was all done as planned according to the NR press release a couple of days ago.

it’s a footbridge just over two kms south of Rannoch across the Feith Bhuidhe - still from a network rail cabride
IMG_1556.png
 

Essan

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2017
Messages
616
Location
Evesham / Lochailort
A bridge from nowhere to nowhere! Can't be more than a handful (if that) people ever use it? Can't even think the Estate would have need for access.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top