• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Croydon to Clapham Junction: What would be the Oyster charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ert47

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2010
Messages
688
Just had a thought, with the South London extension of the London Overground opening at the end of the year, I was wondering whether you would be charged a NR rail fare between West Croydon/Norwood Junction/Crystal Palace and Clapham Junction or a TfL fare as both ends of the journey start at LO served stations?

I've only thought of this as you could go via Balham or take the longer LO service via Surrey Quays.


Although, I hazard a guess that there will be a route validator installed at Surrey Quays.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I would have thought the default fare from West Croydon will still be the NR fare.

However, the new extension does open up a new can of worms regarding fares. Will we see for example a zone 2 Oyster single from North Dulwich to Surrey Quays being an NR fare with the change at Peckham Rye?

Currently, Southeastern pax changing at New Cross are charged NR fares for ELL only stops.

I'd like to hope Surrey Quays will have a validator in December as it will be useful to change there for the various branches.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Surrey Quays does have a validators on posts in the ticket hall that can be used when changing between northbound and southbound platforms, but they're currently covered up and not usable. They've been there like that for many months.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
I think those are yellow validators actually, which may predate the station being gated.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,543
Location
Yorkshire
The default fare should be the cheapest fare.

For example, Farringdon to Wimbledon default fare is NR Only as the NR Only fare for this combination of Zones is marginally cheaper than the TfL fare. However if a passenger uses ticket gates that prove a more expensive route was taken, then they will be charged accordingly.

Sometimes the system just doesn't know, and gives passengers the benefit of the doubt in most cases.

However in some cases the cheaper fare is not charged if it requires a very convoluted route and/or many changes, for example a passenger travelling from Mornington Crescent to Feltham avoiding Zone 1. There is no fare for that, so you'd have to "split" by touching out and back in at somewhere like Richmond.

I always check the TfL single fare finder before making a journey to see what the default fare is, and what other options are available. Note that, although it will give you the default fare automatically, it will not tell you what route you are assumed to take (sometimes this is not obvious), and you have to click to see the alternative fares, for which the route(s) is/are given.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
I think those are yellow validators actually, which may predate the station being gated.

I thought that the station was always gated since it was revamped for the ELL reopening as London Overground? I may be wrong though (I've only lived here a year)
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
The station has always been gated since the reopening of the ELL. The yellow validators are there for when the wide entrance is used. This was intended for Millwall home matches I believe, but I don't think enough supporters use the station to make using the gates unworkable.

The lack of a pink validator at Surrey Quays has long been a bugbear of mine, ever since I first heard the announcements on northbound services suggesting that people change there for the other branch.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
I thought that the station was always gated since it was revamped for the ELL reopening as London Overground? I may be wrong though (I've only lived here a year)

Island is right in that they are yellow readers, but are in use when the side gate is open due to heavy loadings brought about by football matches at Millwall which is nearby.
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I'm sure Surrey Quays was gated pre Overground as I remember using the station under LUL management in 2006/7. I'd even go as far to say bar the wide gate, the current gateline is the same one used.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top