• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Coast to Edinburgh via Glasgow Ticket Validity

class17

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2011
Messages
144
Hello,

I remember that some time ago you go to Edinburgh via Glasgow from stations on the West Coast main line. But then I seem to think this wasn't allowed. Standard tickets, not advances.

I have a STD Single from Edinburgh to Preston on a Sunday, one option showing up is an advance via Motherwell (Cross Country).

Will this be valid, or indeed via Falkirk if disruption?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,292
I think that's o.k. As long as the STD single isn't a route "TPE Only" Anytime Day Single. Anyone able to confirm this understanding?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,781
Location
UK
The validity (or otherwise) via Glasgow depends on the exact journey you're making. From Preston to Edinburgh, walk-up tickets routed "via Carlisle" are valid via Glasgow and then via Falkirk, Bathgate or Shotts provided you don't double back along the way. You can also change at Motherwell and then go via Shotts.

Advances can be booked via any of these routes subject to the availability that is released by the relevant train companies. Any ticket that you book is automatically valid on the accompanying itinerary and you don't need to worry about whether or not it's intended to be valid that way.

In the event of a cancellation to a DfT controlled operator's service such as XC or TPE, your ticket is automatically valid on other DfT operators on any reasonable route. ScotRail are a devolved operator so they fall outside the scope of that agreement.

However, if you have an Advance covering multiple TOCs it will typically be routed "X & Connections" - meaning it is doesn't have an operator restriction for the connecting leg of the journey. So in the event of disruption you could use any service along any permitted route, which amounts to pretty much the same thing as the above agreement.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,283
Back when Virgin Trains operated the West Coast, I used to regularly buy Advance First tickets Preston-Edinburgh via Glasgow Central/Queen Street and vice versa, the majority of the time they only cost around £25 each way with Young Persons Railcard discount.

I never had any problems with them being checked on trains, apart from occasionally northbound the Train Manager on the Glasgow bound Pendolino understandably felt confused until I explained I was aware I was going via Glasgow and therefore on the correct train.
 

Top