• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Coast Railways Suspended (now reinstated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
The guys at Butterley said that they'd lost a fair amount of money which is very sad but I would have thought they could make a claim against WCRC?

I have been wondering if this might just be the start of WCRC woes. I mean if the people who they were supposed to be running tours or other services for decide to take court action to recover their losses this could get very expensive. Even if they are permitted back onto NR metals they could steal have a legal cloud hanging over them.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
I have been wondering if this might just be the start of WCRC woes. I mean if the people who they were supposed to be running tours or other services for decide to take court action to recover their losses this could get very expensive. Even if they are permitted back onto NR metals they could steal have a legal cloud hanging over them.

Well, they do have a decent amount of cash (just over £600K) so they're in good shape, as long as it can be sorted out soon (and the creditors don't get ^twitchy^). Reference: http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03066109/WEST-COAST-RAILWAY-COMPANY-LTD
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks to the pair of you for this. I caught up with him on the phone tonight and he didn't think that they were telling the full story when he and his family visited. The guys at Butterley said that they'd lost a fair amount of money which is very sad but I would have thought they could make a claim against WCRC?

That's as maybe, but if the worst happens it might be difficult to get money (or at least claim it quickly) unless WCRC (or whoever has to sort it out) has the cash (including bank funds) on hand to pay.
 
Last edited:

martynbristow

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2005
Messages
426
Location
Birkenhead
Well, they do have a decent amount of cash (just over £600K) so they're in good shape, as long as it can be sorted out soon (and the creditors don't get ^twitchy^). Reference: http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03066109/WEST-COAST-RAILWAY-COMPANY-LTD
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


That's as maybe, but if the worst happens it might be difficult to get money (or at least claim it quickly) unless WCRC (or whoever has to sort it out) has the cash (including bank funds) on hand to pay.

Thats not much money at all!
If they have to pay severance to staff, fuel, costs to NR it'll eat it in seconds.

Compare it to DRS and DBS who each have 2Million in cash! Businesses rely on turnover to keep going.

Anyway reading there accounts in detail indicate that they have a turnover of 12m and a cost of turnover of ~10m which ends up as .2m when you remove other costs.
60k is nothing compared to this. It will come down to the legal arrangements in place.
But heres a question. Do WCR actually employ anyone, they apparently didn't pay anyone, is everyone paid through a parent company or are they self employed.
 
Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
Well, they do have a decent amount of cash (just over £600K) so they're in good shape, as long as it can be sorted out soon (and the creditors don't get ^twitchy^). Reference: http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03066109/WEST-COAST-RAILWAY-COMPANY-LTD
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


That's as maybe, but if the worst happens it might be difficult to get money (or at least claim it quickly) unless WCRC (or whoever has to sort it out) has the cash (including bank funds) on hand to pay.

Thats not much money at all!
If they have to pay severance to staff, fuel, costs to NR it'll eat it in seconds.

Compare it to DRS and DBS who each have 2Million in cash! Businesses rely on turnover to keep going.

Anyway reading there accounts in detail indicate that they have a turnover of 12m and a cost of turnover of ~10m which ends up as .2m when you remove other costs.
60k is nothing compared to this. It will come down to the legal arrangements in place.
But heres a question. Do WCR actually employ anyone, they apparently didn't pay anyone, is everyone paid through a parent company or are they self employed.

They may only have £600k in cash but they do have a lot in assets...
 

martynbristow

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2005
Messages
426
Location
Birkenhead
They may only have £600k in cash but they do have a lot in assets...

They don't actually!
Read the accounts and its 2m.
Which will get flogged quickly for well less than that if they get administration.
What you maybe thinking of is the parents companies assets ;) But they are nicely protected
 

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,373
They own a fair few diesel locos and rolling stock that would fetch a fair penny if they ended up owning anything to debtors. Most of their steam locos however I think are owned by private individuals?
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
They own a fair few diesel locos and rolling stock that would fetch a fair penny if they ended up owning anything to debtors. Most of their steam locos however I think are owned by private individuals?

David Smith, who owns WCR, owns a few himself
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
Jesus !

Did I read that right ? They are going to consult with stakeholders first !! If they are not meeting the required standard and pose a significant risk and they are consulting stakeholders first. Holy cow :(

Can someone with much much more knowledge than me please reassure me that there is some kind of legal process rather than it being a financial decision than one based on safety. Why can't they pull the certification and then make them re apply after they meet the required standard.

Thanks in advance.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Jesus !

Did I read that right ? They are going to consult with stakeholders first !! If they are not meeting the required standard and pose a significant risk and they are consulting stakeholders first. Holy cow :(

Can someone with much much more knowledge than me please reassure me that there is some kind of legal process rather than it being a financial decision than one based on safety. Why can't they pull the certification and then make them re apply after they meet the required standard.

Thanks in advance.

It is part of the formal legal process. I just cant lay my hand on the right regualtion at present
 
Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,775
ComUtoR: by "stakeholders" they don't mean "shareholders"- as said in the article, they mean "train operating companies, trade unions and freight operators" plus I would assume Network Rail.
 

SPADTrap

Established Member
Joined
15 Oct 2012
Messages
2,355
Jesus !

Did I read that right ? They are going to consult with stakeholders first !! If they are not meeting the required standard and pose a significant risk and they are consulting stakeholders first. Holy cow :(

Can someone with much much more knowledge than me please reassure me that there is some kind of legal process rather than it being a financial decision than one based on safety. Why can't they pull the certification and then make them re apply after they meet the required standard.

Thanks in advance.

Confusion between a shareholder and a stakeholder?
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
They own a fair few diesel locos and rolling stock that would fetch a fair penny if they ended up owning anything to debtors. Most of their steam locos however I think are owned by private individuals?

Who will buy this collateral? I think they are doomed
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
Who will buy this collateral? I think they are doomed

Locos - I'm sure the likes of (particularly) DRS, and GBRf and even Freightliner will be interested in the 57s.

Carriages - Rivieria and DRS for the Mk2s?
 

martynbristow

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2005
Messages
426
Location
Birkenhead
Locos - I'm sure the likes of (particularly) DRS, and GBRf and even Freightliner will be interested in the 57s.

Carriages - Rivieria and DRS for the Mk2s?

Carriages any preserved railway I'm sure will want to get there hands on them OR more likely the new operator of WCR. Realistically WCR will get split up and reformed potentially the Scottish bits going to Abellio.
 

martynbristow

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2005
Messages
426
Location
Birkenhead

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,764
Location
Nottingham
Jesus !

Did I read that right ? They are going to consult with stakeholders first !! If they are not meeting the required standard and pose a significant risk and they are consulting stakeholders first. Holy cow :(

Can someone with much much more knowledge than me please reassure me that there is some kind of legal process rather than it being a financial decision than one based on safety. Why can't they pull the certification and then make them re apply after they meet the required standard.

Thanks in advance.

I imagine ORR would have the power to suspend an operator without notice (and without consulting stakeholders first) if they had evidence of serious wrongdoing. However there is no need to do so in this case because NR has suspended WCR's track access so they are unable to run any trains on the network until at least the middle of May.

In this case I Network Rail will be prominent amongst the stakeholders to be consulted.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
It is part of the formal legal process. I just cant lay my hand on the right regualtion at present

Cheers. If you do find it I'd appreciate it. Or if you can point me int he right direction I can use that well known search engine. I just have no idea what to search for :/

ComUtoR: by "stakeholders" they don't mean "shareholders"- as said in the article, they mean "train operating companies, trade unions and freight operators" plus I would assume Network Rail.

I know. My concern is that they would consult first. If its unsafe then act first then consult later.

Confusion between a shareholder and a stakeholder?

Nope ;)

However there is no need to do so in this case because NR has suspended WCR's track access so they are unable to run any trains on the network until at least the middle of May.


Good point.

My thanks gents.
 

JimboBourne

New Member
Joined
24 Apr 2015
Messages
1
Location
Bourne
Okay experts, what do you think ?

As a humble ignorant consumer, I booked two tickets on the Jacobite for 11th May - their first trip of the season. This was just before the WCR announcement. Since then, I''ve been trying to find out what the motive power for the day will be. WCR are 'awaiting confirmation'.

So.......... Do I cancel and use the money to book on the much cheaper scheduled service ? Do I wait and see ? What is the likelihood of steam traction being available on the 11th; this being three days before any possibility of the ban being lifted ?.

All thoughts gratefully received.
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,108
Location
At home or at the pub
Okay experts, what do you think ?

As a humble ignorant consumer, I booked two tickets on the Jacobite for 11th May - their first trip of the season. This was just before the WCR announcement. Since then, I''ve been trying to find out what the motive power for the day will be. WCR are 'awaiting confirmation'.

So.......... Do I cancel and use the money to book on the much cheaper scheduled service ? Do I wait and see ? What is the likelihood of steam traction being available on the 11th; this being three days before any possibility of the ban being lifted ?.

All thoughts gratefully received.

I'd be cancelling the booking if you can, WCRC won't be reinstated until 15th May at the earliest, & that's if they're going to be reinstated
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,889
Location
Rugby
Looking a bit more positive for West Coast now. There was a meeting with Network Rail today and one of the outcomes was the Great Britain tour will run next week (presumably with steam as planned)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top