Really?Barnstaple Town was on the wrong side of the River Taw
Diverting to Victoria Road would have solved the viaduct problem, certainly, but I recall Town as being pretty well sited.
Really?Barnstaple Town was on the wrong side of the River Taw
What I meant by saying 'wrong side of the river' was that Town station was on the Ilfracombe side of the bridge over the Taw, and therefore could not continue to be served by rail without maintaining rebuilding that bridge. I agree that it was well sited.Really?
Diverting to Victoria Road would have solved the viaduct problem, certainly, but I recall Town as being pretty well sited.
Understood now, thanks.What I meant by saying 'wrong side of the river' was that Town station was on the Ilfracombe side of the bridge over the Taw, and therefore could not continue to be served by rail without maintaining rebuilding that bridge. I agree that it was well sited.
I should imagine that it is because (a) some of the other routes survived purely because of problematic road links (St.Ives, Looe), which did not apply in the early 60s to Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow, or that (b) the other routes served larger places (Falmouth, Newquay), or a combination of both.Interesting discussions here regarding the South West.
I just don't understand why Bodmin Road to Padstow was closed when the other routes survived. Bodmin Gen, Wadebridge and Padstow were all well situated for their communities and they're reasonably sized settlements by Cornish branch standards.
At least on the Western, the presumption seems to have been that a local line/station would only be kept if a bus couldn't do the job. So you see things like Gunnislake keeping its service but Tavistock losing it, and the tiny settlement of Avoncliff retaining its halt while the much larger community of Limpley Stoke lost its station (immediately alongside the main road). However, even on those branches retained only for such "social" reasons, the minimum sensible train size was larger than a railbus.I should imagine that it is because (a) some of the other routes survived purely because of problematic road links (St.Ives, Looe), which did not apply in the early 60s to Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow, or that (b) the other routes served larger places (Falmouth, Newquay), or a combination of both.
In the early 60s Padstow was not the up market holiday hotspot that it later became, and is now, and Wadebridge was a small market town not unlike the many hundreds whose stations were closed elsewhere on the network round about the same time. Bodmin was pretty well served by Bodmin Road station on the main line.
I suspect that the opportunity was missed with the railbuses that were built - they should have been capable of one-man-operation. However, at the time this was unthinkable. Unstaffed stations were difficult enough - and that in the mind of Management, let alone the unions. But it is easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight.What might have made a difference, but nobody has tried in the UK or anywhere else as far as I know, would be to use railbuses to increase the frequency without proportionately increasing operating costs. This would have required investment in extra passing loops, and taking on the unions to introduce driver-only operation and probably also tramway methods of signalling.
It doesn't matter how much you reduce costs, a railbus can't compete. Compare the usefulness of a bus, able to penetrate village and town centres with multiple stops every 400 yards or so, with a railbus restricted to one stop per village, often situated well away from the village or town centre. The railbus can simply never generate the passenger volume.
Are you sure about that?I visited Hungary 4 years running until it left the EU.
I thought that tooAre you sure about that?
I wasn't aware that Hungary had left the EU....although I suspect that Premier Viktor Orban would dearly love to do so.I visited Hungary 4 years running until it left the EU.
Except he also knows how much Hungary depends on EU payments.I wasn't aware that Hungary had left the EU....although I suspect that Premier Viktor Orban would dearly love to do so.
Are you sure about that?
Also in part because while the rail network was shrinking there were increasing numbers of visitors to the West Country, most of whom were coming by car. Anyone else remember the Exeter bypass?I should imagine that it is because (a) some of the other routes survived purely because of problematic road links (St.Ives, Looe), which did not apply in the early 60s to Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow, or that (b) the other routes served larger places (Falmouth, Newquay), or a combination of both.
In the early 60s Padstow was not the up market holiday hotspot that it later became, and is now, and Wadebridge was a small market town not unlike the many hundreds whose stations were closed elsewhere on the network round about the same time. Bodmin was pretty well served by Bodmin Road station on the main line.
I've often wondered whether Barnstaple might be better served by an express coach (with decent quality seats) service running every hour during the day, down the North Devon Link Road to Tiverton Parkway, non-stop, except for alternate services going in and out of South Molton on the way. Even going via South Molton, it probably wouldn't take more than an hour for forty miles down a decent road.
The rail network was shrinking because the locals had abandoned it for buses in the 1930s, and the holidaymakers were increasingly travelling by car, or going abroad.Also in part because while the rail network was shrinking there were increasing numbers of visitors to the West Country, most of whom were coming by car. Anyone else remember the Exeter bypass?
Lyme Regis was much the same, according to http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/lyme_regis/, 3/4 of a mile from the sea front but 250ft above sea level.Sidmouth was another one, mile or more ? outside the town and up a rise from the sea front.
Not limited to EU citizens fortunatelyThe same free travel for over EU 60’s also applied to Slovakian trains.
Gradually disappearing though.They use the same 4 wheeled rail buses as Hungary. Like across the border they ride well on welded track & badly on old jointed track... Like our pacers.
Bude station was on the outskirts of the town to placate StrattonLyme Regis was much the same, according to http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/lyme_regis/, 3/4 of a mile from the sea front but 250ft above sea level.
Bude station was on the outskirts of the town to placate Stratton
But nothing can surpass Lynton, 750 ft above sea level and needing a funicular
Sorry,who is Stratton?
Interesting - Western National - just before being split up did try an express coach service Ifracombe - Barnstaple - Exeter X77 which basically competed with the railway. If I recall the timetable correctly it used one coach which ran Ilfracombe - Barnstaple - Exeter
then Exeter Barnstaple - where it lay over for a while as seen in my photo - then Barnstaple - Exeter before returning via Barnstaple to Ilfracombe. Not sure how long it ran for as my bus wanderings around the West Country ended that year as I passed my driving test! Your suggestion with a run to Tiverton Parkway seems a like a revisit of the idea.
![]()
I should imagine that it is because (a) some of the other routes survived purely because of problematic road links (St.Ives, Looe), which did not apply in the early 60s to Bodmin, Wadebridge and Padstow, or that (b) the other routes served larger places (Falmouth, Newquay), or a combination of both.
In the early 60s Padstow was not the up market holiday hotspot that it later became, and is now, and Wadebridge was a small market town not unlike the many hundreds whose stations were closed elsewhere on the network round about the same time. Bodmin was pretty well served by Bodmin Road station on the main line.
Wasn't the Duchy of Cornwall heavily involved in lobbying to save Cornish branch lines and credited with some success?
But nothing can surpass Lynton, 750 ft above sea level and needing a funicular
The funicular was (and is) to Lynmouth not Lynton!
Yes a very good point - but I think people expected to use waggonettes to access the station or just walk.They should have installed a second funicular from the middle of Lynton up to the station. After all, it was the same guy, he surely should have seen it...