I agree that some of the all station services could skip some stations.. certainly some 313s to Hertford skip some to offer a faster journey time and people seem to cope just fine. I am sure some stations can cope with just 2tph, and at least those stations you mention still get late night services where it's not a problem to have more stops and a longer journey time.
The aspiration is for 4tph for the Moorgate trains, so I think we can say that this will happen eventually and other services will have to fit around those whether they like it or not. That will mean more semi-fast trains on the fast lines, or more trains catching up and then crawling as they have to allow the train ahead to stop (I am sure many of the xx52/xx22 semi-fast trains are late by WGC but possibly still within the limits thanks to a fair bit of padding).
I got the 1918 service from KGX yesterday, and it crawled along but I could see by looking online that it was actually timed to be that slow (well it DID lose 1 minute actually). In other words, it was obviously timetabled on the basis that FCC knows it will get stuck. So the train rolls along from around Oakleigh Park/New Barnet to Potters Bar and then on to Hatfield. Passengers must be assuming there's some delay, but technically speaking - it is on time!
There's a regular service that sees a 6-car 313 put into passenger service on its return into London in the evening peak. As a result, it's put on the fast line for some distance. I guess there are less trains using the up in the evening, as at 75mph it must be using up quite a few paths along the way. I seem to recall it even stopping on the fast at Finsbury Park.
One obvious solution is for increased line speeds on the slow (and for when put on the fast) for any 313 replacement, so skipping stops doesn't just save dwell times but allows for the trains to get up to a higher speed too.
The aspiration is for 4tph for the Moorgate trains, so I think we can say that this will happen eventually and other services will have to fit around those whether they like it or not. That will mean more semi-fast trains on the fast lines, or more trains catching up and then crawling as they have to allow the train ahead to stop (I am sure many of the xx52/xx22 semi-fast trains are late by WGC but possibly still within the limits thanks to a fair bit of padding).
I got the 1918 service from KGX yesterday, and it crawled along but I could see by looking online that it was actually timed to be that slow (well it DID lose 1 minute actually). In other words, it was obviously timetabled on the basis that FCC knows it will get stuck. So the train rolls along from around Oakleigh Park/New Barnet to Potters Bar and then on to Hatfield. Passengers must be assuming there's some delay, but technically speaking - it is on time!
There's a regular service that sees a 6-car 313 put into passenger service on its return into London in the evening peak. As a result, it's put on the fast line for some distance. I guess there are less trains using the up in the evening, as at 75mph it must be using up quite a few paths along the way. I seem to recall it even stopping on the fast at Finsbury Park.
One obvious solution is for increased line speeds on the slow (and for when put on the fast) for any 313 replacement, so skipping stops doesn't just save dwell times but allows for the trains to get up to a higher speed too.