• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welsh Weekend Wander

Amaranthe

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
220
Location
Durham
I’m heading to Aberystwyth from Durham today for a weekend of North Wales track bashing.

Might be an interesting journey as currently animals on the line at Abergavenny affecting Manchester to Cardiff and a tree on the line to Aberystwyth.

Currently sat enjoying a quick pint in The Waiting Room at Durham station before my first train which is the 11:18 TPE as far as Huddersfield.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amaranthe

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
220
Location
Durham
@Amaranthe

I am in North Wales.

Let me know if you need any advice/information at all

Dave
Thanks, I'm getting myself a North Wales Day Rover tomorrow which seems a bargain at £45.

Provisional plan is...

06:17AberystwythDovey Junction06:44
06:49Dovey JunctionPwllheli09:14
09:34PwllheliMinffordd10:01
10:14MinfforddBlaenau Ffestiniog10:45Bus T22
11:36Blaenau FfestiniogLlandudno12:59
13:10LlandudnoLlandudno Junction13.19
13:46Llandudno JunctionHolyhead14:40
15:02HolyheadShotton16:39
16:46ShottonWrexham Central17:25
17:29Wrexham CentralWrexham General17:32
17:40Wrexham GeneralShrewsbury18:25
19:33ShrewsburyAberystwyth21:22
 

Amaranthe

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
220
Location
Durham
Getting home is going to be fun. I’m booked on 1E60 18:10 Birmingham International to Durham and I’ve just found out XC are terminating it early at Derby.

The only XC services leaving Derby after 19:00 going north are only going as far as Leeds and I’m not seeing any onward connections north from there.

I have split Advances Aberystwyth to Birmingham International and Birmingham International to Durham.

I’ve tweeted XC for advice but not heard back from them yet.

Any suggestions?
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,932
Getting home is going to be fun. I’m booked on 1E60 18:10 Birmingham International to Durham and I’ve just found out XC are terminating it early at Derby.

The only XC services leaving Derby after 19:00 going north are only going as far as Leeds and I’m not seeing any onward connections north from there.

I have split Advances Aberystwyth to Birmingham International and Birmingham International to Durham.

I’ve tweeted XC for advice but not heard back from them yet.

Any suggestions?
Suggest you bail out early at New Street and get the 1803 direct to Durham instead, to avoid a mire of rail replacements and general messing about. Ticket will be valid due to the cancellation.
 

Amaranthe

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
220
Location
Durham
Suggest you bail out early at New Street and get the 1803 direct to Durham instead, to avoid a mire of rail replacements and general messing about. Ticket will be valid due to the cancellation.
Thanks, that looks like a plan. XC have advised this and it’s tempting as I’d get 100% delay repay although I’m a bit worried about ticket acceptance on EMR…

19:13 Derby - Sheffield 19:48 EMR
20:10 Sheffield - Doncaster 20:34 TPE
20:43 Doncaster - York 21:03 LNER
21:18 York - Durham 22:19 TPE
 

Amaranthe

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
220
Location
Durham
Suggest you bail out early at New Street and get the 1803 direct to Durham instead, to avoid a mire of rail replacements and general messing about. Ticket will be valid due to the cancellation.
I’m proposing this to them but given I won’t have a seat reservation I’m hoping they will allow me to buy a weekend first upgrade on board but if not I’ll take the delay and the refund
 

Top