• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welsh Trip Pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
2,636
I'm planning a trip to Wales.

Looking to visit Conwy, move on to the Ffestiniog (to Porthmadog), the Talyllyn railway.
With the Talyllyn railway though, I'm not sure if it's a out-and-return sort of journey or whether I can go one way, or where is best to stay.

We're likely to:
DAY 1 - Travel to Conwy. Stay overnight.
DAY 2 - In Conwy. Possibly travel to Ffestiniog. Possibly visit Llechwedd slate caverns. Stay overnight.
DAY 3 - Travel to/on Ffestiniog - Porthmadog. Travel to Talyllyn. Stay overnight.
DAY 4 - Talyllyn railway. Possibly travel home again on this day.

Is there anything else I should do or go and see?
Any recommendations for accommodation?
Any rail staff travel discounts on the narrow gauge railways?

(walk-up) Tickets are about £50 for two for the entire journey, so not too bad (not including the narrow gauges).

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
To start you off.

1. I sggest reversing your route so you can do the Festiniog up-gradient, as downhill the loco has virtually nothing to do.

2. The Talyllyn is an out and back job, as the only alternative is a very limited bus service north to Dolgellau.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I'm planning a trip to Wales.

Looking to visit Conwy, move on to the Ffestiniog (to Porthmadog), the Talyllyn railway.
With the Talyllyn railway though, I'm not sure if it's a out-and-return sort of journey or whether I can go one way, or where is best to stay.

We're likely to:
DAY 1 - Travel to Conwy. Stay overnight.
DAY 2 - In Conwy. Possibly travel to Ffestiniog. Possibly visit Llechwedd slate caverns. Stay overnight.
DAY 3 - Travel to/on Ffestiniog - Porthmadog. Travel to Talyllyn. Stay overnight.
DAY 4 - Talyllyn railway. Possibly travel home again on this day.

Is there anything else I should do or go and see?
Any recommendations for accommodation?
Any rail staff travel discounts on the narrow gauge railways?

(walk-up) Tickets are about £50 for two for the entire journey, so not too bad (not including the narrow gauges).

Thanks
There is the zonal North Wales Rover ticket, valid on trains and buses, which may be of some use:-
https://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/RoversRangers/

Also, you don't say when you are intending to go, but if after March, you might like to consider the Great Orme Tramway from Llandudno to the summit:-
http://www.greatormetramway.co.uk/
It's an excellent trip, affording spendid views if you get a clear day. There is a frequent bus service from Conwy to Llandudno, taking about 20 minutes.
 
Last edited:

whhistle

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
2,636
Thanks :)

Yeah, it's likely to be in early August now, so hopefully i nthe heights of summer.

There's nothing to stop us doing the journey in the opposite direction. Means a slightly nicer route home that would be First Class for part of it (other operators don't provide FC on the routes we'd be taking).

I did take a look at the rovers but I'm on a PRIV pass so it wouldn't work out any good, even applying the discount to the rover.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top