• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Well known people travelling standard class

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I think everyone knows Michael Portillo regularly travels standard class on trains. How many other well known people use standard class? I know Kevin Bridges was recently spotted travelling in standard class to Manchester but then he got a taxi from there to Salford Quays rather than taking Metrolink.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vicpaul

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
429
Location
Bletchley
Dermot oleary standard on the sleeper. Spotted gazza and his Mrs getting on at berkhamstead travelling into london on standard
 

GodAtum

On Moderation
Joined
11 Dec 2009
Messages
2,684
I was surprised that Portillo travels in standard in his shops but I guess the BBC cant justify paying the 1st class fare :P
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I was surprised that Portillo travels in standard in his shops but I guess the BBC cant justify paying the 1st class fare :P

When he was a guest speaker at an event in Knutsford he was seem alighting a Pacer at Knutsford, in contrast when MP George Osborne visits Knutsford he travels by Pendolino First Class to Wilmslow and then gets a taxi from there.
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
Who's Kevin Bridges? Who's Dermot O Leary? I thought this thread was about 'well known' people? :)
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,896
Location
East Anglia
I did read a while back that the BBC had purchased 24,000 rail tickets for travel on the Euston/Manchester route since moving to Salford. Didn't specify but would assume standard class. Susanna Reid for one travels daily.
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
Seen Simon Weston in Standard Class several times between Cardiff and Paddington.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Jennie Bond, until recently the BBC Royal Correspondent, was complaining at too much FC accommodation on VT as she can usually only afford Standard.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I did read a while back that the BBC had purchased 24,000 rail tickets for travel on the Euston/Manchester route since moving to Salford. Didn't specify but would assume standard class. Susanna Reid for one travels daily.

Really? The first Manchester arrival from Euston is 08:28 and she's on air from 06:00. I seem to recall in a newspaper interview she said she planned to stay based in London when Breakfast moved and to travel up on Sundays and back down on Wednesdays and see how that went.

Jason Manford did the reverse regularly when he started presenting The One Show.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Susanna travels daily, but to Manchester the night before, and back to London after the programme.
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...susanna-reid-im-a-super-commuter-8328348.html

I hope she uses a season ticket then (£1313.70 per month, so £59.72 per return journey if there are 22 working days per month)

I thought one of the reasons for the BBC moving to Salford was to save money.

Back to the topic, my mother has seen Bob Crow travel in first class on South West trains from Bournemouth to London.
 
Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,443
Back to the topic, my mother has seen Bob Crow travel in firstclass on South West trains from Bournemouth to London.

He probably got the "staff freebie" at the guard's discretion!!!;)
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
I hope she uses a season ticket then (£1313.70 per month, so £59.72 per return journey if there are 22 working days per month)

I thought one of the reasons for the BBC moving to Salford was to save money.

Back to the topic, my mother has seen Bob Crow travel in first class on South West trains from Bournemouth to London.

I'm sure the savings from being in Salford rather than London are more than the train tickets that they're buying.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
He probably got the "staff freebie" at the guard's discretion!!!;)

After he promised the guard a guaranteed 8% pay rise?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm sure the savings from being in Salford rather than London are more than the train tickets that they're buying.

What gets overlooked when the BBC claim gets made is ITV pay a lot for people travelling from other parts of the country to London. They've used both Cardiff and Manchester based newsreaders as relief newsreaders, a Bristol based weather presenter as relief weather presenter and have used a Manchester based one in the past and they have a news editor who is Preston based. They paid for someone to relocate from the North West to London to be Daybreak newsreader, while they pay to transport Paddy McGuinness to and from Kent for recording 'Take Me Out.'
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LWB

Member
Joined
31 Dec 2009
Messages
245
Long before most forum members were born I suspect, I once sat next to Dennis Healey on a Keighley-Bradford train. This was 1969 and he was Secretary of State for Defence at the time. I lacked the temerity to grill him about TSR2 so we talked about Keighley's textile and machine tool heritage.

As a corollary, 30 years later I met Jim Callaghan whose daughter is a neighbour of mine and on whose land my daughter kept her pony.

Quite a bookend of Labour stalwarts to have bagged!
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
Many companies pay people to travel - why should TV production companies be different?

I am sure in the case of the BBC they have put in place arrangements to help their staff during a relocation transitional period - that help often extends to flexible working and travel support

As for "famous" people i once shared a carriage between MK and Manchester with John Inverdale who was trying to phone some copy through for almost the entire journey and chuntering about the poor wifi and phone signal!
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I don't celebrity spot so probably wouldn't notice a celebrity if they were sat opposite! (Except possibly Dita Von Teese :wub:)

Speaking of Dita I remember there being shock in some sections of the media when she was Flying Southwest Airlines* for one of her tours. Her response was that she wanted to keep the costs down for her fans.

*Southwest is the US equivalent of Easyjet.
 

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
Ann Widdecombe sat next to me on a rail replacement bus once a few years ago in Kent. A person got hit by a train, so it was buses only. She could well have been in first class on the train until it terminated, but was then promoted to have the privilege to sit next to me on the standard class only bus.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,328
Good old Sir John Betjeman made a BBC TV programme back in the 1960s where he travelled on the old S&D branch from Evercreech Jc to Highbridge, two old compartment coaches and probably about two other passengers on the train if it was like normal. He very eloquently made the point, in the shot of him boarding from a deserted platform, "notice that, as I am on expenses, I am travelling first class".
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I've saw David Miliband and his kids on East Coast. The kids were loud, but were having fun on the train. Some other chap had a seat reserved at the same table and him and David had a chat about football before he delved into his kindle (the other chap, not David :P).

I've also seen one of the actors from Coronation Street - he's ginger but I don't know who he is since I don't watch it, but he was in the news for something - on a Southern train to Brighton. He was asleep for the whole journey until the announcement to say we were arriving into Brighton.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,229
When he was a guest speaker at an event in Knutsford he was seem alighting a Pacer at Knutsford, in contrast when MP George Osborne visits Knutsford he travels by Pendolino First Class to Wilmslow and then gets a taxi from there.[/QUOTE]

Since he's probably travelling from London that seems to make a lot of sense!
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Had Nick Robinson across the aisle on his way from Ludlow (where it sounded like he'd been for a weekend break) to the Tory conference at Manchester last year. As it was ATW, 1st Class wasn't an option, so I don't know what he usually does.

He didn't have a ticket, but showed the guard an A4 sheet of printed paper which seemed to be allowable, although I think I heard the guard say "so you'll get a ticket at Manchester?". He was travelling with the Ludlow MP, and also a (very) big bloke who was presumably his minder, as he sat opposite him reading a book the whole way and never spoke.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top