• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird events on a Northern train earlier this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfowkes

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2017
Messages
1,270
Hi all,

I was travelling on the 1857 Hull to Doncaster today (2C39, a two car 158).

On the approach to Brough, we stopped for a while. Then we started moving again, but very slowly (and with what to me sounded like wheelslip but I'm not any kind of expert). A few seconds later we passed over a level crossing with the barriers half raised. I'm not 100% sure which crossing it was, but based on the type and distance from Brough I think it must have been the one at Gibson's Lane.

Just wondering what might have been going on. If I'm right about the wheelslip, maybe leaf-fall causing issues with track circuits and that somehow affecting the crossing? Complete speculation that. Anyway, I'd appreciate any insight to satisfy my curiosity.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,489
Location
Powys
I suspect the driver had been stopped and cautioned about the state of the crossing and then crossed it at very slow speed.
As long as the lights are flashing that is allowed.
 

Trainrave

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2020
Messages
55
Location
Manchester
The crossing is likely to be either Melton Lane or Welton.
The one at Gibson Lane is known as Melton Lane.
Both are equipped with obstacle detection. It is likely that there was a fault with the barriers and the driver was stopped prior to the crossing to receive a message from the signaller and told to proceed at “caution”.

Hope this helps.
 
Joined
15 Apr 2020
Messages
409
Location
Wakefield
You were on 2C39, not 93, and indeed Melton Lane Obstacle Detection crossing was failed, so trains were passing the protecting signal at danger.
Wheelslip wouldn’t be unheard of when you set off in todays weather but wasn’t an issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top