• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend on the sleeper with an eight year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
End of the month, I'm taking my boy, who is 8, on the Cally Sleeper to Inverness. It was his request, as a birthday present.

I need a bit of advice as to some of the logistics involved with such a small child.

We're leaving Grimsby Town at 16:34, taking the quickest route to London (changing Doncaster 17:38 onto the 17:47) which will get us to London at 19:34.

Now, I'm conscious that we have time to kill, but also that my boy will be quite tired. I'm thinking about packing him a snack for the train, but finding somewhere to eat between KGX and EUS, possibly in Euston Square, and we head there straight off the train. There's a Nandos, isn't there? Will I have time for that?

That said, if we can get on board the train early enough, is there food to be had on the train? Or should I take a packed feast for him to eat in the berth. What time can we get on board?

Now, he's not likely to be up much longer than just after the train leaves, it's well past his bedtime, but is he allowed in the lounge car before we leave, or is that an adults only environment?

Is there a possibility to get breakfast on the train before we arrive? If not, where's a decent place - we'll make a meal of it and have a Full Scottish!

Spending the Saturday in Inverness, I've got plans involving a sightseeing bus and possibly a boat trip.

Now, the Sunday is the return home, and it's a long journey for a little boy. We're getting the Eastcoast at 9:40, and we'll have a plug and some entertainment, and I know we can get some buffet snacks. To break it up a bit I've got 100 mins BoJ at Waverley, which doesn't give us time to do much, but we'll have a late cooked lunch. Any suggestions where we can go that will be quick enough and not far from the station? After that we're down to Donny and changing and we're home and hosed! I've got 40 mins at Donny, so I might need to find something there, or I'll grab something on the train or perhaps carry something on at Waverley if there's a decent shop.

Has anyone done this with a kid? do my timings look reasonable in order to break up the journey and give us time to eat properly? Anything I need to watch out for?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ge-gn

Member
Joined
5 Dec 2014
Messages
281
I took my 4yo boy on the sleeper last summer. It was such a wide eyed amazing adventure for him!

You can board about half an hour before departure. It says what time on the sleeper scot website.

We didn't eat dinner on board. But it does seem that the dining tables are reserved by 1st class ticket holders, so they get served first. I would recommend eating before you board or take a pack up so as not to risk having a late dinner with a tired lad.

The lounge car is open to all. When we boarded we headed straight for the lounge and got my boy a hot chocolate while I had a beer. The steward gave him a Tunnocks tea cake as a little treat. We headed back to the cabin as we left the London suburbs behind, I tucked him in, and that's the last I heard from him for about 10 hours as he was rocked happily asleep.

Your steward will ask you what you want for breakfast when you board. You'll get a cuppa and a bacon roll or such like. It's not the biggest breakfast but it will tide you over.
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
I took my 4yo boy on the sleeper last summer. It was such a wide eyed amazing adventure for him!

That's what I'm hoping. He loves to travel, he's gone on a few plane journeys. Plus it actually ticks one off on my bucket list as well. I've got overnight trains before and slept in the seat, but it's not the same.

We didn't eat dinner on board. But it does seem that the dining tables are reserved by 1st class ticket holders, so they get served first. I would recommend eating before you board or take a pack up so as not to risk having a late dinner with a tired lad.

Sounds like a decent plan. I've built slack into the timetable for that reason. It's only a little walk from KGX to EUS, and I'm bound to find something to eat.

The lounge car is open to all. When we boarded we headed straight for the lounge and got my boy a hot chocolate while I had a beer. The steward gave him a Tunnocks tea cake as a little treat. We headed back to the cabin as we left the London suburbs behind, I tucked him in, and that's the last I heard from him for about 10 hours as he was rocked happily asleep.

Perfect. I'll have to entertain myself for a little while while he sleeps. I've got my phone and my tablet. Is there WiFi or similar, or am I relying on 4G?

Your steward will ask you what you want for breakfast when you board. You'll get a cuppa and a bacon roll or such like. It's not the biggest breakfast but it will tide you over.

I'm going to get on to the hotel about using the shower in the leisure club when we arrive and then finding some food, I reckon, although I'd like to try and see if he'll walk round parkrun with me first, so getting somethig to eat on the train would be handy.
 

ge-gn

Member
Joined
5 Dec 2014
Messages
281
That's what I'm hoping. He loves to travel, he's gone on a few plane journeys. Plus it actually ticks one off on my bucket list as well. I've got overnight trains before and slept in the seat, but it's not the same.

My boy didn't want to travel in the upper bunk on the way out. I think he was worried about falling out because there isn't a barrier, just straps. So I had the upper bunk which isn't that long for my 6'2". I remember waking up as we were presumably winding through Shap with my head getting pressed against the wall! Thankfully I talked him into the top bunk for the return, and he was just fine. As was I with a bit more room!




Perfect. I'll have to entertain myself for a little while while he sleeps. I've got my phone and my tablet. Is there WiFi or similar, or am I relying on 4G?

No wifi. You're on 4G which isn't bad, with only momentary drop outs on the south WCML (I'm on EE).


I'm going to get on to the hotel about using the shower in the leisure club when we arrive and then finding some food, I reckon, although I'd like to try and see if he'll walk round parkrun with me first, so getting somethig to eat on the train would be handy.

Hopefully you get a good kip otherwise the Parkrun might be a bit of a slog!
 

ge-gn

Member
Joined
5 Dec 2014
Messages
281
Sorry, I've inserted my comments into your quotes somehow...
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
Hopefully you get a good kip otherwise the Parkrun might be a bit of a slog!

I'll play that one by ear. He loves parkrun, and he's after running some new ones, but if he's tired, we won't do it. It'll be cutting it a bit fine anyway.
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
Rooms available from 2030. So ten minutes from KGX to Nandos at EUS, and we can eat and be out in half an hour assuming its not too full. That option at least means I've paid for the food and if it's too late I can take it away instead.

Then we're away at 2115.

The hotel's told me that I'm more than welcome to get showered and changed there when I arrive, and then we can do the City Sightseeing (he loves that sort of thing) and lunch. Anything else I might want to do while I'm there. A boat's a possibility, perhaps?

Then on the Sunday, because we're on the day train, I'm going to do a Weekend First upgrade on the INV-EDI leg, as that's the longest. Still trying to find somewhere near Waverley for a late, quick lunch, though.
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I do a lot of over night sleepers with 8 years olds, 12 years olds, 15 and 18 year olds, yes I know, I drink too much :(
 

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
You might be able to fit in a trip to Kyle and back on Saturday, or continue onto Skye then head over to Mallaig for train to Fort William then coach back to Inverness.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,182
Location
Elginshire
A zone 2 dayrider ticket is £6.35 for Stagecoach buses, and will take you out as far as Dingwall, Drumnadrochit and Nairn, so might be worth considering if you fancied a trip down Loch Ness. I'm not sure if they do a child dayrider, though the app has a student fare at £4.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,445
Rooms available from 2030. So ten minutes from KGX to Nandos at EUS, and we can eat and be out in half an hour assuming its not too full. That option at least means I've paid for the food and if it's too late I can take it away instead.

Then we're away at 2115.

There is a Pizza Union https://www.pizzaunion.com/ at 246 Pentonville Road, 5 minutes walk from from Kings Cross. I went there a couple of weeks ago. It was busy, but had reasonable quality 12" thin base Margherita pizza, for £3.95. You pay, and get a remote buzzer that for when they are ready.
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
An alternative would be to go down to Aviemore then take the Strathspey Railway for a ride on a steam train - if is running (it wasn't clear on the website that it was). That would be fun for an 8 year old.

As for food, yes, Nandos would be an option at EUS, as would the couple of (scary) McDonalds at KGX.
 

FQTV

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2012
Messages
1,067
An alternative would be to go down to Aviemore then take the Strathspey Railway for a ride on a steam train - if is running (it wasn't clear on the website that it was). That would be fun for an 8 year old.

As for food, yes, Nandos would be an option at EUS, as would the couple of (scary) McDonalds at KGX.

I was wondering about Aviemore and The Strathspey, too.

As far as food prior to boarding the Sleeper is concerned, I'd probably suggest a table at Carluccio's on the terrace at St Pancras. The kids menu is £6.95, or they may still be doing the current buy one main get one for a pound deal. Keep your coats on and eat under the Barlow shed, then take him one stop on the Underground to the main event.
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
I was wondering about Aviemore and The Strathspey, too.

As far as food prior to boarding the Sleeper is concerned, I'd probably suggest a table at Carluccio's on the terrace at St Pancras. The kids menu is £6.95, or they may still be doing the current buy one main get one for a pound deal. Keep your coats on and eat under the Barlow shed, then take him one stop on the Underground to the main event.
Carluccios is another family friendly option. Incidentally I went there on Sunday evening before I took the Lowland sleeper to Motherwell (as the Edinburgh portion was “pined”). Quiet but tasty
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,785
Location
Newport Pagnell
The Booking Office (Wetherspoons) by Waverley station generally get the food out quickly.
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,785
Location
Newport Pagnell
As for food, yes, Nandos would be an option at EUS, as would the couple of (scary) McDonalds at KGX.

There's also a Nando's at King's Cross and some chain pizza places on the Euston Road if you walk that way between stations. I've not found anything particularly scary about the McDonalds though they can be a bit busy at times. Just need to keep your eye on your bags but that applies anywhere really.
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
An alternative would be to go down to Aviemore then take the Strathspey Railway for a ride on a steam train - if is running (it wasn't clear on the website that it was). That would be fun for an 8 year old.

It would be, but believe it or not, I think it might be too much train for him. Sleeping on a train on Friday, then a whole day by train the Sunday, I'd quite like him to not have train again on Saturday.
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
Culloden? The boy's very keen on history. OK, it's probably a bit gory, but he's an eight year old boy. I could bus that, or what might a taxi cost?
 

pacenotes

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2017
Messages
106
Last time I went up on a Friday they wouldn't allow standard class passengers into the lounge. Just keep in mind if you want to eat, we ended up with a sambo for dinner just for info.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Some good suggestions so far, a few 'me too' points and some other thoughts....

Suggestions for food Friday seem good, if he's into that sort of thing. It's likely that a trip up Drummond Street might not be his sort of food at 8 years old but there is lots available up there too.

There might be an issue getting into the lounge car, it is priority for first class, but you might be ok, Friday can be busier though. you don't state you are in first class on the sleeper so i shall assume you're not, probably a wise choice given you're travelling together anyway.
Wetherspoons and similar might be your friend on this trip. There is one in Inverness a few minutes walk from the station which will do a reasonable breakfast at a more than reasonable price.

I will let others continue to suggest stuff to do in Inverness.

As for your return trip, a weekend first upgrade is a good idea, though i would ask the guard if your weekend first upgrade is valid for both tickets or just the one, they may upgrade them both for the single £25 fee.

At Edinburgh, the Wetherspoons at the top of the ramp is a good bet, though it is one of the more expensive ones and does get busy so you might be limited on tables.

In Doncaster, you have several things just outside the station in the entrance to the shopping centre as you likely know, the Hungry Horse pub there is quite good if you have a bit more time.

It's good that you have been able to add some time in at places. It is worth noting that if anything goes wrong on your train to Doncaster on the Friday there are several more options you could get after your intended London bound train that would comfortably get you to London in time to board the sleeper, a lot of which even include enough time for a QUICK bite to eat. The last one you could comfortably get would be the 1855 which would get you into King's Cross half an hour before your sleeper is due to leave so you'd have to look sharp walking to Euston but that would mean you'd get there even if your original 1634 was cancelled and you had to wait an hour.
 

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
Some good suggestions so far, a few 'me too' points and some other thoughts....

Suggestions for food Friday seem good, if he's into that sort of thing. It's likely that a trip up Drummond Street might not be his sort of food at 8 years old but there is lots available up there too.

There might be an issue getting into the lounge car, it is priority for first class, but you might be ok, Friday can be busier though. you don't state you are in first class on the sleeper so i shall assume you're not, probably a wise choice given you're travelling together anyway.
Wetherspoons and similar might be your friend on this trip. There is one in Inverness a few minutes walk from the station which will do a reasonable breakfast at a more than reasonable price.

I will let others continue to suggest stuff to do in Inverness.

As for your return trip, a weekend first upgrade is a good idea, though i would ask the guard if your weekend first upgrade is valid for both tickets or just the one, they may upgrade them both for the single £25 fee.

At Edinburgh, the Wetherspoons at the top of the ramp is a good bet, though it is one of the more expensive ones and does get busy so you might be limited on tables.

In Doncaster, you have several things just outside the station in the entrance to the shopping centre as you likely know, the Hungry Horse pub there is quite good if you have a bit more time.

It's good that you have been able to add some time in at places. It is worth noting that if anything goes wrong on your train to Doncaster on the Friday there are several more options you could get after your intended London bound train that would comfortably get you to London in time to board the sleeper, a lot of which even include enough time for a QUICK bite to eat. The last one you could comfortably get would be the 1855 which would get you into King's Cross half an hour before your sleeper is due to leave so you'd have to look sharp walking to Euston but that would mean you'd get there even if your original 1634 was cancelled and you had to wait an hour.

Thanks for this information. Most useful, especially the train times outward. Given how toughs in Cleethorpes vandalised 5 units yesterday causing cancellations...

VTEC Twitter have told me that I'd have to upgrade both tickets separately, but there's no harm asking. Is there discretion for a guard to do both? The BoJ isn't to save money, but was simply to arrange a long break from riding the train home.

Last time I went up on a Friday they wouldn't allow standard class passengers into the lounge. Just keep in mind if you want to eat, we ended up with a sambo for dinner just for info.

Thanks, if time allows I'm going to pop into M&S at Euston anyway to get some snacks for the journey.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
You might find a guard that will issue it as a through ticket upgrade. I have had it before a couple of times, although that was on normal split tickets staying on the same train once, and the other time was split tickets on a terminating train. I think it was Retford to York and York to Edinburgh on the first connection, 2 advances, the first train terminated at York. The guard did me an upgrade for all of it for the £25. Your situation is different i guess but there is no harm in asking.

Is your first ticket a Grimsby to London advance or a Grimsby to Doncaster and Doncaster to London ?
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Then you’ll have even less trouble justifying taking a later train if the first is delayed* Not that you’d have any issues anyway especially with vtec as in my experience they have always been very sensible in these situations.

* there’s sometimes a worry that a TOC will not pay out the full compensation due if you are on split tickets. I have been told this by guards who have been fairly strict (though polite) about it. Of course when it comes to a claim no such issues have been present. I’ve never known there to be issues catching a later than booked train providing you have left the minimum connection time (which you would have in this case anyway).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top