• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Website showing rail fares history

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
1,327
Location
Retford
Last year, I remember using a website that had historical rail fares information on it. I am travelling from Retford to York and back tomorrow and have found that the off-peak return fare is around £26 (although I have a railcard so it will cost me less than this). I can remember this costing about £23 a couple of years ago and wanted to use the website to check this and see when the fare went up. However, I can't find the website anywhere.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Ryan
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greeby

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2011
Messages
189
Note that if you want to look at NFM64 fares to/from Group Stations, you have to enter the group code, as those fares won't be displayed if you use the individual station code
 

ryan125hst

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
1,327
Location
Retford
Thanks Yorkie. It's price has more than doubled in seven years if that's the case which is ridiculous. Fortunately, I have a 16-25 railcard so the price is a more bearable £17.40. The Anytime Return is an even more eye watering £39- the person I went to York with had purchased that ticket as he didn't know he didn't need it on a Saturday!

The annoying thing about tickets is the fact that not all flows have all of the ticket types available. Retford to York only has an Off-Peak Return and Anytime Return (it has singles as well of course), but I have only even been to York for the day so the fact that the ticket was valid to return until 19th January was a waste of money. Conversely, there is only an Anytime Day Return between Retford and Sheffield. Not only is there no Off Peak option, but I have to buy two singles when going home for the weekend from my halls of residence in Sheffield. An Anytime Return would be ideal for me, but the ticket doesn't exist. I was disusing this with a lady the ticket office a few weeks ago and she said it has been the case for many years and needs changing.

I think it's about time the fares system had a major overhaul, don't you think?

Thanks for the advice Greeby :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, I notice that the fares data only goes up to NFM14. Looking around on the internet, I notice that we are now on NFM20. Does anyone know if the more recent fares data will be added to the website?

Another fact- the Off Peak Return (SVR) is showing as £31.40 on NFM14 with restriction code 8E. The Off Peak Day Return (CDR) is showing as £22.30 with restriction code G6. There is also a Super Off Peak Return (SSR) ticket available costing £24.20 with restriction code 3V. It's weird that when looking on BR Fares at the current fares that there is no Super Off Peak(SSR) or Off Peak Day Return (CDR) ticket available, but the Off Peak Return (SVR) costs less than what it did in NFM14!

I wonder why they scrapped the SSR and CDR tickets but reduced the price of the SVR?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,529
Location
Yorkshire
I think it's about time the fares system had a major overhaul, don't you think?
East Coast (and their predecessors) ave been giving the fares on the East Coast route a major overhaul by making it prohibitely expensive to travel anywhere for a day trip on a walk-up ticket.

I'm sure the overhauls will continue, resulting in further fare increases.

Unless the Government stops rewarding people for travelling by car and penalising rail passengers, further increases are inevitable.

In the past 14 years, York-Doncaster has gone up from £5 to £18.60 for the cheapest day return fare. It's arguably better value to get the bus now, as that's only £5 return, though it does take a long time, but at around 1/4 of the cost, it's got to be worth considering. Of course the incentive is there for people to drive, and that is what most people with access to a car will do.
Thanks for the advice Greeby :)
Also, I notice that the fares data only goes up to NFM14. Looking around on the internet, I notice that we are now on NFM20. Does anyone know if the more recent fares data will be added to the website?
The person who owns that website is working on it.
I wonder why they scrapped the SSR and CDR tickets but reduced the price of the SVR?
This is how I perceive it, others may disagree...

Back in GNER days, the Saver Return/Off Peak Return (SVR) was unrestricted so that is the fare people got to return another day and you could travel at any time.

In NFM06, the Super Off Peak (SSR) was introduced at the price of the old SVR, but with added restrictions, and a new SVR introduced at a higher price for people who wanted to travel before 0930. The Anytime fare was mostly used simply as a 'penalty' for buying on board.

The Anytime fares rose to ludicrous levels, so EC reduced their Anytime fares to a level that is more consistent with what they were at a few years ago (but, comparing fares since privatisation, it's still a huge increase as the decrease is tiny compared to the increases!) and at the same time abolished the Off Peak Return. This means if you can't travel at the Super Off Peak time, you have to pay even more than what you would have paid for the Off Peak Return, but the ticket type you're issued with is an Anytime.

They've abolished the day return fares, to make you pay more, this is in line with Government policy to ensure that passengers, and especially those of us on the ECML, are priced off rail so that more people choose to travel by car, and those who have no choice but to travel by train end up paying through the nose, to reduce the tax burden on rich people who don't use public transport.

There's nothing surprising about these fares, it's a similar story in other areas as walk-up day return rail travel becomes increasingly unaffordable.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
Presumably historical data doesn't exist anywhere for AP tickets due to the huge variability of the prices.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,529
Location
Yorkshire
Presumably historical data doesn't exist anywhere for AP tickets due to the huge variability of the prices.
You could get the price points, but not the availability.

Some price points are seldom - if ever - sold in practice.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
Tory policy - or successive government policy?

It's not just the ECML that's seen sharp price increases - Crewe to Preston has pretty much doubled in recent years and since NFM64, Crewe to Carlisle has risen from £27.20 to £53 for an SOS, whilst the price of a Glasgow - Wigan SOR has risen by over £80 in the last six years.

If only petrol went up that much <D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top