• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Website question: form to collect details for a mailing list

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,445
Location
Yorkshire
Several years ago forum member @Nick W very kindly made a mailing list feature for James Palmer's Retro Railtours website, but this no longer works.

I see there are appear to be free products on the market that claim to perform this function.

I am guessing we must have some website developers/mangers on this forum, and perhaps some of you can advise on this? Is there a particular solution you would recommend?

The information required is:
  • Title
  • Firstname
  • Surname
  • Email address
  • Most convenient station (from a pre-populated list)
I think it just needs to produce a list for James to be able to download, e.g. in CSV format, or generate an email to James' email address each time someone signs up, or something like that.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

(I know it's a bit of an obscure request for this forum, but it will be interesting to see who on here is into website design/management and it is for a rail-related website at the end of the day :))
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,445
Location
Yorkshire

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,718
Location
Scotland
If you want something 'out of the box' then I'd second the suggestion of Google forms. Personally, I'd throw something like that together myself, it wouldn't take a massive amount of code, a simple PHP form and and a MySQL database.
 

algytaylor

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2017
Messages
79
Google Forms is a good option that'll be fairly hassle-free. I'd leave it as just "name" rather than splitting it up in to firstname/surname, though. Some people only have one name (eg Pele), Spanish folk have 4 names, Hungarians write their name "backwards" (Puskas Ferenc), ... it's easier just to let people write their name however they want to write it, unless you really specifically need to know their surname.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top