Wyvern
Established Member
- Joined
- 27 Oct 2009
- Messages
- 1,573
I've just read two very thought-provoking articles:
This year, I will wear a poppy for the last time
The White Poppy
I was however struck by one comment in the Guardian "Surely it is not the British Legions fault if the poppy gets hijacked by pro-war/interventionist politicians."
It occurs to me that I would be also diffident about displaying the English flag because it has been hijacked by racist right-wing nationalists.
I think I shall simply wear the poppy in memory of all the people of those days who fought and died or were mutilated simply because of a mess that was not of their making and not for any other reason.
This year, I will wear a poppy for the last time
The White Poppy
I was however struck by one comment in the Guardian "Surely it is not the British Legions fault if the poppy gets hijacked by pro-war/interventionist politicians."
It occurs to me that I would be also diffident about displaying the English flag because it has been hijacked by racist right-wing nationalists.
I think I shall simply wear the poppy in memory of all the people of those days who fought and died or were mutilated simply because of a mess that was not of their making and not for any other reason.