Justin Smith
Established Member
The RM (Feb 25 p81) reports that the Clifton Bridge which carries the WCML over the M6 about 4m south of Penrith is "life expired", in fact "for safety reasons" at the current time only one train is allowed onto it at any one time. It is only 70 years old.....
I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I read that !
Lets see, Ribblehead viaduct built 1875 (150 years old), Royal Border Bridge built 1850 (175 years old), Skerne bridge built 1825 (200 years old). They might have needed maintenance, but they are, quite plainly, not "life expired" and in need of replacement.
When did British Civil engineering become so crap ?
I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I read that !
Lets see, Ribblehead viaduct built 1875 (150 years old), Royal Border Bridge built 1850 (175 years old), Skerne bridge built 1825 (200 years old). They might have needed maintenance, but they are, quite plainly, not "life expired" and in need of replacement.
When did British Civil engineering become so crap ?