• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Watford to Bexill on sea using OAP bus pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kezza

New Member
Joined
6 May 2019
Messages
2
Hi I've tried to find somewhere to search for trip advice for bus ride from Watford to Bexhill but always seems to get private bus services in google search. Grateful for any suggestions for route. Easy to get Watford to Heathrow or Kingston to Dorking but get stuck after that? Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Samuel88

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jan 2017
Messages
385
Hi I've tried to find somewhere to search for trip advice for bus ride from Watford to Bexhill but always seems to get private bus services in google search. Grateful for any suggestions for route. Easy to get Watford to Heathrow or Kingston to Dorking but get stuck after that? Thanks
Watford to Heathrow Green line 724
Heathrow to Croydon London Bus x26
West Croydon to Redhill London bus 405
Redhill to Crawley Metrobus 100 or 460
Crawley to Brighton Metrobus 271,272 or 273
Brighton to Eastbourne Brighton and Hove bus 12
Eastbourne to Bexhill Stagecoach bus 99

The only way you could get this journey done is on a Saturday!
 

Man of Kent

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
912
Traveline Southeast offers three options after 0930 and taking 8 to 8.5 hours. It's broadly the same as above, except changing from X26 in Kingston to the 465 to Dorking, then Metrobus 93 to Horsham and Stagecoach 17 to Brighton.
 

big all

On Moderation
Joined
23 Sep 2018
Messages
876
Location
redhill
Watford to Heathrow Green line 724
Heathrow to Croydon London Bus x26
West Croydon to Redhill London bus 405
Redhill to Crawley Metrobus 100 or 460
Crawley to Brighton Metrobus 271,272 or 273
Brighton to Eastbourne Brighton and Hove bus 12
Eastbourne to Bexhill Stagecoach bus 99

The only way you could get this journey done is on a Saturday!
redhll to crawley you also have 400 for all or part but finishing about 1900
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
Watford to Heathrow Green line 724
Heathrow to Croydon London Bus x26
West Croydon to Redhill London bus 405
Redhill to Crawley Metrobus 100 or 460
Crawley to Brighton Metrobus 271,272 or 273
Brighton to Eastbourne Brighton and Hove bus 12
Eastbourne to Bexhill Stagecoach bus 99

The only way you could get this journey done is on a Saturday!

An alternative route from Crawley would be via route
400 to East Grinstead
261 East Grinstead to Uckfield
54 Uckfield to Hailsham
98 Hailsham to Bexhill

though it would take about 5 hours from Crawley to Bexhill based on catching the 14:01 bus from Crawley but that does include a two hour wait in Uckfield
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
This thread is beginning to read like a session of 'only three can play' game as played in All Gas And Gaiters. Only baby boomers are likely to remember this. :)
 

davehsug

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2014
Messages
363
I've always fantasised about travelling the country on my free bus pass
Many years ago, I did Stoke to Blackpool - not on a bus pass of course! Hanley - Crewe - Warrington - Wigan - Preston - Blackpool. Took about 9 hours and I did it for no other reason than I could!
(Of course had I been clever I could have done it in 3, Hanley - Congleton - Manchester - Blackpool).
I don't think there's a Crewe - Warrington or Congleton - Manchester these days, so it would be harder.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,480
Location
Yorkshire
I've done York to Preston by bus, and York to Doncaster by bus, as a form of protest against high train fares.

York to Preston I actually did twice; both involved the ZAP to Leeds and a change at Burnley, but between Leeds and Burnley I went via Halifax on one occasion and via Keighley on the other.

But I can get those journeys done very cheaply by train these days so I doubt I'd do either by bus again!
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
Many years ago, I did Stoke to Blackpool - not on a bus pass of course! Hanley - Crewe - Warrington - Wigan - Preston - Blackpool. Took about 9 hours and I did it for no other reason than I could!

I don't think there's a Crewe - Warrington or Congleton - Manchester these days, so it would be harder.
AFAIK there has never been a through Crewe - Warrington bus. You would have had to change at Northwich - which can still be done.
 

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
An alternative route from Crawley would be via route
400 to East Grinstead
261 East Grinstead to Uckfield
54 Uckfield to Hailsham
98 Hailsham to Bexhill

though it would take about 5 hours from Crawley to Bexhill based on catching the 14:01 bus from Crawley but that does include a two hour wait in Uckfield

You can get a bus from Dorking to Crawley, 21 or 22 bus service.

Alternative from Crawley get the 271/272 to Haywards Heath, then 31 to Uckfield, 54 to Hailsham then 98 to Bexhill or Mon-Fri only to H Heath as above then 166 to Lewes, 143 to Hailsham, 98 to Bexhill.

Or
 

davehsug

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2014
Messages
363
AFAIK there has never been a through Crewe - Warrington bus. You would have had to change at Northwich - which can still be done.
You're probably right, it was 30 years ago & a very long day. I'm way past my sell-by date!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top