• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was life better under Lockdown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
Trouble is, in my workplace I can’t diffuse a conflict situation via Zoom.

One of a number of reasons why I point-blank refuse to wear a mask.
Its easy to get stroppy in online conversations, either on a blog, or by email.
One loses the body language where one sees the person is being sarcastic, but that is lost in text only conversation.
I fear its also lost when people are wearing masks.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Even if there are a substantial group of people on furlough taking the proverbial (I don't know anyone like this) if they're still on furlough now they'll likely be unemployed in the near future.

LinkedIn is currenly full of people with #OpenToWork on their profiles and posts like "After [large number] of years at [company] I have been made redundant, if anyone needs a [niche white collar job] then... etc".

This is going to be bad for a lot of people.
especially for those nearing retirement. Like me :(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
I don't know how many times this has to be explained but the choice was either: a) mass redundancies in March/April (considering there are 9m furloughed staff I think several million is a safe bet) or b) the Government steps in to prevent mass redundancies by covering the wages of the staff for whom employers have nothing to do. Further, again, it is not the choice of those on furlough to be placed in such a position that is the choice of the employer. If an employer wants to furlough a staff member who is keen to keep working then tough that staff member has no choice but to go home. If the employer wants to end furlough for a staff member who doesn't want to come back then tough come back or lose their job through misconduct.

Can we please move away from the nonsense that those on furlough are somehow lazy, are just having a "jolly" at our expense or should be be manning litter pickers collecting rubbish from the side of the road?

If we hadn't bothered with furlough or had ended it in May/June the net result would have simply been mass layoffs and all those people would be claiming Universal Credit instead. As it stands, considering the number of jobs that are still going and the rumbles about jobs losses as the scheme winds down we will probably find many more people are going to lose their jobs and be on Universal Credit anyway before this is done.

But to blame those who, through no fault of their own and have no choice in the matter, for not sitting at home being dour faced is frankly ridiculous and smacks of jealously. Plus weren't we complaining that too many people were sitting at home when they needed to be out and spending money? Can't have it both ways surely?

I'm not even sure where to begin with the suggestion that some of it should have been in the form of loan especially if the suggestion is that the people who are on furlough, something they have no choice in, are the ones who should be paying it back.
This ^^^^
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,413
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I don't know how many times this has to be explained but the choice was either: a) mass redundancies in March/April (considering there are 9m furloughed staff I think several million is a safe bet) or b) the Government steps in to prevent mass redundancies by covering the wages of the staff for whom employers have nothing to do. Further, again, it is not the choice of those on furlough to be placed in such a position that is the choice of the employer. If an employer wants to furlough a staff member who is keen to keep working then tough that staff member has no choice but to go home. If the employer wants to end furlough for a staff member who doesn't want to come back then tough come back or lose their job through misconduct.

Can we please move away from the nonsense that those on furlough are somehow lazy, are just having a "jolly" at our expense or should be be manning litter pickers collecting rubbish from the side of the road?

If we hadn't bothered with furlough or had ended it in May/June the net result would have simply been mass layoffs and all those people would be claiming Universal Credit instead. As it stands, considering the number of jobs that are still going and the rumbles about jobs losses as the scheme winds down we will probably find many more people are going to lose their jobs and be on Universal Credit anyway before this is done.

But to blame those who, through no fault of their own and have no choice in the matter, for not sitting at home being dour faced is frankly ridiculous and smacks of jealously. Plus weren't we complaining that too many people were sitting at home when they needed to be out and spending money? Can't have it both ways surely?

I'm not even sure where to begin with the suggestion that some of it should have been in the form of loan especially if the suggestion is that the people who are on furlough, something they have no choice in, are the ones who should be paying it back.

The trouble is that there *are* people who are doing everything possible to keep this all going.

My place is an example. We have four shielded, who were placed on furlough. Remember that despite their underlying conditions they are deemed to be 100% fit to carry out their regular work but for the risk of contracting Covid. So they could quite happily have been set up to undertake some useful work at home, lessening the burden on others who have had to pick up their workload. My understanding is all four pretty much point-blank refused, and with the ability for their wages to be offloaded onto the furlough scheme there was little incentive to put pressure on them to do anything productive. Essentially furlough allowed them to be put to one side and quietly forgotten, whilst there was meaningful work which they could have carried out (their normal workplace was fully operational throughout).

As if that’s not enough, it’s no coincidence that we’re now hearing from the self-same people about how terrible the virus is, how “I’ve been watching TV and it’s really really bad you know”, such that even now we only have two back, still only performing a skeleton of their normal workload, and with reduced hours having been negotiated. Needless to say all this lot are utterly hell-bent on taking accrued leave as well.

Meanwhile, another, selected for furlough as role considered non-core. When asked to come back again point-blank refused to do so, citing childcare issues. Again the can has been kicked down the road with furlough available until October.

I find it pretty remiss that we have a vast amount of taxpayers money being used in this way, in my first example effectively encouraging five months (and in some cases and counting) of completely zero productive work, and has effectively incentivised the situation to the detriment of others.

There’s no such thing as a free lunch, and somewhere along the line we all have to pick up the tab for this.

I really don’t think any of this is helpful. As has been intimated here many times, the longer furloughing goes on for the more chance there is that people won’t have a job to return to. The priority really needs to be to try and get as many people back to their pre-March position as possible. Sitting around for month after month isn’t good for mental health either. I think furlough has served as a disincentive to return to normality, and in some cases has served as a way of prolonging something which we really don’t want to be prolonging.
 
Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,925
I miss two things, one selfish - the gloriously empty roads - and the other was Saturday nights being dead. Far from responsible behaviour I've just got home from another day of people pissing on platforms right next to the bogs, blood spattered trains being taken out of service following fights, message after message after message about trains being held up due to disorder requiring police attention, lunatics on drugs doing whatever they want wherever they want and the sort of general carrying on that I never see anywhere else but our beloved Isle, or at least, areas where Brits like to congregate.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I miss two things, one selfish - the gloriously empty roads
I’m kinda with you there. The traffic levels are going to be a bit of a shock when schools (hopefully) return. Got used to a 6 week summer holiday-esque commute for the last 5 months
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,057
Location
St Albans
I’m kinda with you there. The traffic levels are going to be a bit of a shock when schools (hopefully) return. Got used to a 6 week summer holiday-esque commute for the last 5 months
With much more WFH, the traffic won't return completely to those levels. In addition, some of the cycle route enhancements will change traffic patterns, (and maybe absolute levels).
Hopefully, the one thing that most observed was the environmental improvement that resulted from less unnecessary emissions. Just as the restrictions accelerated some businesses' decline, so it should give the kick-start to our transition to a less carbon intensive economy.
 
Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
Not quite on topic, but with Somerset CC’s grass-cutting team having been presumably redeployed on putting signs and stickers everywhere, the roadside verges are a glorious riot of wild flowers.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,395
Location
Yorks
Not quite on topic, but with Somerset CC’s grass-cutting team having been presumably redeployed on putting signs and stickers everywhere, the roadside verges are a glorious riot of wild flowers.

I do hope that they continue to manage green space in a way that encourages bio-diversity.
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Certainly walking around a deserted central London for my daily exercise while on a break at work was a joy. Little traffic, very few people, empty streets was a great pleasure in the middle of the day.

Not being able to travel around the country on days off wasn't quite so good though..
 

alex397

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2017
Messages
2,036
Location
UK
I miss two things, one selfish - the gloriously empty roads - and the other was Saturday nights being dead. Far from responsible behaviour I've just got home from another day of people pissing on platforms right next to the bogs, blood spattered trains being taken out of service following fights, message after message after message about trains being held up due to disorder requiring police attention, lunatics on drugs doing whatever they want wherever they want and the sort of general carrying on that I never see anywhere else but our beloved Isle, or at least, areas where Brits like to congregate.

With you on this one - my area was much calmer with anti-social behaviour during lockdown. It was bliss. But, it's now back to the teens hanging around the town centre playing 'chicken' on their bikes and trying to start fights, probably because their unaware parents are back at work. And certainly lots of loutish behaviour back again, usually outside 'spoons or the sports pubs. How I've missed travelling to continental Europe where I've rarely, if ever, seen this sort of behaviour (except in Prague, by some, erm, British tourists).

I was able to get a better nights sleep during lockdown. But now I'm back to every other night being disturbed by a groups of drunk people singing or arguing in the early hours.

Generally though I'm glad things are largely getting back to normal, and seeing my area come back to life.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,756
Couldn't decide which thread to put this under, but here goes.

Pavement Jumping (into the road) is back!

Went for a stroll today from the house.

On one road (footway on one side only) a woman crossed over and walked down the road rather than share the 3m plus footway with me. Haven't had that for absolutely ages.
Later a couple walked into a residents driveway and waited until I passed. Always met that occasionally, particularly by the elderly.
A man walking two dogs stood well to one side in a gateway.

This in an area with no local restrictions and being in the '0-2 cases in the last seven days' category on the government map.

The shopkeeper was wearing a chin-covering whilst behind his perspex screen, convenient to just slip up if he ventures onto the shopfloor later I suppose.
 

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,744
I still walk in the road (most roads round me are v. quiet) if someone is coming on the path. Not because I'm worried in any way, but that doesn't mean the other person might not be. It's preferable to getting a mouthful for impinging on someone's COVID space.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,756
I still walk in the road (most roads round me are v. quiet) if someone is coming on the path. Not because I'm worried in any way, but that doesn't mean the other person might not be. It's preferable to getting a mouthful for impinging on someone's COVID space.
I'll move to one edge and expect the opposing person to do the same. I'll step into the road if the path is narrow, I am facing oncoming traffic and there are no vehicles approaching (a much greater risk than "IT").

I always felt the risk of infection from a brief passing contact to be exceptionally low but, at the height of things, I would give people a wide berth out of respect for their potential feelings of risk from myself. It is unlikely that anyone will give me a mouthful! The type who would, is the type who wouldn't be bothering with social distancing anyway!

Thinking back, earlier in the week, on the open grass area at the back of the houses a young couple sharply diverted some distance to one side as I rounded the corner. It really is back! Must be all this talk of a second wave.
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,289
Location
Lewisham
When I saw this thread I thought it said 'Was the wife better under lockdown?' !!
To me, I've had a few things happened to me, so lockdown is just a minor irritation and do not dwell on it.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,594
I tend to step out into the road on quiet roads just because I quite like walking in the road. It's annoying enough being restricted to narrow strips of the wide open space by actual traffic. Being restricted by theoretical traffic is just pointless. In terms of crossing the road to avoid people or stopping to let them through a space, I'll generally do it if somebody is wearing a mask or looks old and uncomfortable.

I think people have tried to keep about 1.5m throughout up here, so the recent changes haven't made a great deal of difference
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
I still walk in the road (most roads round me are v. quiet) if someone is coming on the path. Not because I'm worried in any way, but that doesn't mean the other person might not be. It's preferable to getting a mouthful for impinging on someone's COVID space.
If the person approaching you is that worried then let them walk in the road. Normal people walk on the pavement.
 

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2017
Messages
1,861
Location
Scotland
I don't jump out into the middle of the road but give people as much room as possible (as was the case pre-COVID anyway).
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
If the person approaching you is that worried then let them walk in the road. Normal people walk on the pavement.
Agree, if they're that much of a flower then up to them. Passed a couple on a footbridge last week who were virtually scraping the paint off the side as they went past. Afraid I can't be doing with it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top