• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was life better under Lockdown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
Any other key workers out there miss some of the benefits we enjoyed during the months between March and when things began opening again ?


Unrestricted travel across the UK by Plane Trains and Automobiles and even the odd Bus and Tram in my case.

Roads were empty as were the other public transport means of conveyance.

Streets were empty as were all stations and Airports.

Workplaces were bereft of the normal annoying distractions - employees !!


Since the "furloughed fusspots" have reemerged so have all the new restrictions, as some of them are terrified of venturing out and frightened of their own shadows.

Aside obviously from the deaths and serious illness to those afflicted with Covid 19 it was a great time to be "free"
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Any other key workers out there miss some of the benefits we enjoyed during the months between March and when things began opening again ?


Unrestricted travel across the UK by Plane Trains and Automobiles and even the odd Bus and Tram in my case.

Roads were empty as were the other public transport means of conveyance.

Streets were empty as were all stations and Airports.

Workplaces were bereft of the normal annoying distractions - employees !!


Since the "furloughed fusspots" have reemerged so have all the new restrictions, as some of them are terrified of venturing out and frightened of their own shadows.

Aside obviously from the deaths and serious illness to those afflicted with Covid 19 it was a great time to be "free"

It was less hassle during lockdown for sure. People were just quietly getting on with it, without all the fuss and bother we have now.

Personally I’d go for either full lockdown or nothing at all, the halfway house we have now just grates. We have the furlough brigade who want all the nice bits without such nuisances as going to work, and in order to prolong the sunshine want to interfere with everyone else.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,522
Location
Taunton or Kent
I came up with the analogy for lockdown as being "the longest Christmas on record": A massive shopping spree ahead of a long period of many being at home instead of work (albeit not in a good way), quiet on the roads, couldn't tell what day of the week it was and to top it off the Queen gave not one but two National TV addresses.


I did enjoy cycling on much quieter roads than I would normally cycle on for sure, and certainly preferred that to now where public transport discouragement is making roads busy again.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
It was a thoroughly dreadful experience.

All the irritation and frustration of work, without any of the redeeming things that make life worth living.

Every now and again, the radio plays a song that was prevelant during March/April and it makes me shudder.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,694
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I quite enjoyed more socialising via Zoom etc with people I don't meet very often but should meet more. Indeed we've carried on with some of it though not quite as often.

Overall though I'd rather the virus went away, but unlike some I don't favour abolishing present measures until it does.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
Overall though I'd rather the virus went away, but unlike some I don't favour abolishing present measures until it does.

Because obviously, viruses normally just 'go away' if everyone hides behind the sofa for long enough...

I agree with yorksrob that it was a dreadful experience - there was nothing positive about it at all so far as I'm concerned: stuck at home, and ended up working vast amounts of unpaid overtime as I had to ramp up the home working systems from no more than a dozen staff to about 130. Not something I have any wish to repeat, ever!
 

philosopher

Established Member
Joined
23 Sep 2015
Messages
1,513
At the start of the Lockdown there was the novelty factor which did make it a somewhat interesting experience, though I would definitely not call it enjoyable. As the weeks and months have drawn the lockdown and whatever you call now has become more and more of a drag.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
At the start of the Lockdown there was the novelty factor which did make it a somewhat interesting experience, though I would definitely not call it enjoyable. As the weeks and months have drawn the lockdown and whatever you call now has become more and more of a drag.

Agreed. It was okay when at work, however over time the lack of quality time off has started to really hurt. To some extent we still have that. Hopefully the schools returning will act as a bit of a break point. Just need to get furlough finished then, the sooner the better.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
I found it OK for the first month because i was working, then I was bored as my contract ended

But out and about i was great walking the hills near home in splendid isolation. I walked up Ingleborough on a fine day in April and saw 3 people, normally its like Blackpool. Missus and I walked round malham tarn in the sun and saw 4 other people.
And to see the paths regenerating, regrowing vegetation where thousands usually trample.
And parking was easier in town.
Then they ended the travel restriction and it went barmy.
I know I was lucky to be here when it was so quiet.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Agreed. It was okay when at work, however over time the lack of quality time off has started to really hurt. To some extent we still have that. Hopefully the schools returning will act as a bit of a break point. Just need to get furlough finished then, the sooner the better.
furlough already ended for agency/umbrella staff. those employers have no funds to pay employers NI
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,440
Location
Yorkshire
It was alright for those in secure , well paid jobs, who were either on furlough or still being paid to work from home, and who have gardens and adequately sized homes.

Lockdown is a luxury that is very much enjoyed by some middle class people, but is absolutely disastrous for many others.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
The quietness thing reminded me of something else - with so few cars out cycling, even on main roads, was a delight.
cycling must have been scary. some were driving on empty roads not expecting to see other cars. so were cutting corners and pulling out without looking. policewoman friend had to attended a fatal where a motorcyclist ran out of road when something came the other way
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
It was alright for those in secure , well paid jobs, who were either on furlough or still being paid to work from home, and who have gardens and adequately sized homes.

Lockdown is a luxury that is very much enjoyed by some middle class people, but is absolutely disastrous for many others.

Indeed, whilst I was working from home with a reasonably safe job, my wife's business and craft fairs have been totally shut down. As a result we lost thousands and are still trying to recover from the financial shock, even before we consider the mental health effects. That's why I get angry at people treating lockdown as some sort of game or excuse to practice not liking people.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
It was alright for those in secure , well paid jobs, who were either on furlough or still being paid to work from home, and who have gardens and adequately sized homes.

Lockdown is a luxury that is very much enjoyed by some middle class people, but is absolutely disastrous for many others.

I was in contract. that was ended 1 May. got furlough to 1 Aug. That ended as umbrella company could not pay employers NI. So 6 months contributory JSA then nowt. Then I have to fall back on my savings that were for retirement.
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
I drove 3000 miles under lockdown. Worked throughout and experienced the lack of traffic, but have family members who are self employed and struggling. We didn't see parents/grandparents for 10 weeks, so that alone makes me say no, life was certainly not better. Would rather be able to visit who I like when I like and fight the traffic to get there.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
I drove 3000 miles under lockdown. Worked throughout and experienced the lack of traffic, but have family members who are self employed and struggling. We didn't see parents/grandparents for 10 weeks, so that alone makes me say no, life was certainly not better. Would rather be able to visit who I like when I like and fight the traffic to get there.
Not seen family since October last year. Could not visit daughter when having a nasty operation in hospital, have not seen grand kids to congratulate them on exam results, missed brother in- laws mums funeral.
There again, I have some family in N Italy and its been dreadful for them. 13 yr old girl imprisoned in a flat with her Mum.
 

ar10642

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2015
Messages
576
The only redeeming feature about it was fewer cars about and clearer air as a result for a short time. It was nice seeing families doing cycling and walking together on the newly quiet roads.

Absolutely everything else was terrible, massively damaging and will have lasting effects for years.

I'm not a key worker and was immediately sent home from a job in the travel/holiday industry, initially on 8 weeks' unpaid leave then later furloughed. A reminder that being furloughed is *not* the choice of the employee in any real sense, so maybe less of the shaming for these people, many of which will find themselves unemployed soon and will find it hard to get alternative work. It's not just a jolly holiday - it leaves you feeling as if everything you've worked for has been taken away and that you don't matter, combined with a guilt of taking money from the government/taxpayers when others have to work. I did some volunteering during this time as I was not happy about taking money from the government for doing nothing.

I ended up feeling like I had to leave a job (many of my colleagues were forced to do leave of course) I loved to get another new one, which I have had to interview for start and get up to speed without ever going to an office or physically meeting my new colleagues. I've done OK with this but it took a hit on my mental health and I have the advantage of many years' experience and the confidence that comes with that. Many will struggle with this especially if they're new or have been in a role for many years and haven't done anything else for a long time. I'm now paid less than I used to be.

I'm one of the lucky ones from this, but even then it feels like it's turned my and my family's life upside down. I don't cope well with being shut in 23 hours a day. When furlough ends we are going to see huge rises in unemployment even if we don't see a "second wave" and that is going to be devastating for the country.

The question is now what the aftermath is going to be. I'm now working from home 100% of the time, but it's not my preference to do that all day every day. However plenty of people seem to have no intention of going back into offices at all. If that continues long term that's going to have a pretty big effect on many aspects of life - city centres and the businesses in them, house prices and yes, the railways. Are taxpayers going to want to keep subsidising empty trains to a city nobody needs to go to anymore?
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
The only redeeming feature about it was fewer cars about and clearer air as a result for a short time. It was nice seeing families doing cycling and walking together on the newly quiet roads.

Absolutely everything else was terrible, massively damaging and will have lasting effects for years.

I'm not a key worker and was immediately sent home from a job in the travel/holiday industry, initially on 8 weeks' unpaid leave then later furloughed. A reminder that being furloughed is *not* the choice of the employee in any real sense, so maybe less of the shaming for these people, many of which will find themselves unemployed soon and will find it hard to get alternative work. It's not just a jolly holiday - it leaves you feeling as if everything you've worked for has been taken away and that you don't matter, combined with a guilt of taking money from the government/taxpayers when others have to work. I did some volunteering during this time as I was not happy about taking money from the government for doing nothing.

I ended up feeling like I had to leave a job (many of my colleagues were forced to do leave of course) I loved to get another new one, which I have had to interview for start and get up to speed without ever going to an office or physically meeting my new colleagues. I've done OK with this but it took a hit on my mental health and I have the advantage of many years' experience and the confidence that comes with that. Many will struggle with this especially if they're new or have been in a role for many years and haven't done anything else for a long time. I'm now paid less than I used to be.

I'm one of the lucky ones from this, but even then it feels like it's turned my and my family's life upside down. I don't cope well with being shut in 23 hours a day. When furlough ends we are going to see huge rises in unemployment even if we don't see a "second wave" and that is going to be devastating for the country.

The question is now what the aftermath is going to be. I'm now working from home 100% of the time, but it's not my preference to do that all day every day. However plenty of people seem to have no intention of going back into offices at all. If that continues long term that's going to have a pretty big effect on many aspects of life - city centres and the businesses in them, house prices and yes, the railways. Are taxpayers going to want to keep subsidising empty trains to a city nobody needs to go to anymore?
why were you shut in 23 hrs a day? In England you always could exercise as often and as long as you wanted to.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,694
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
cycling must have been scary. some were driving on empty roads not expecting to see other cars. so were cutting corners and pulling out without looking. policewoman friend had to attended a fatal where a motorcyclist ran out of road when something came the other way

It wasn't, it was very pleasant. There were hardly any cars at all round here, and I found that those that were out were actually driving more slowly and carefully than usual.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

why were you shut in 23 hrs a day? In England you always could exercise as often and as long as you wanted to.

There was an insane number of myths about lockdown, including that one. The guidance did say once per day, but no time limit was placed, and indeed pretty much every day I was out for more than an hour, usually nearer two.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
A reminder that being furloughed is *not* the choice of the employee in any real sense, so maybe less of the shaming for these people, many of which will find themselves unemployed soon and will find it hard to get alternative work

That's not entirely true - a number of organisations will, where they had a number of people in similar jobs and needed to keep some of them working, have let those go on furlough who said they had a good reason (childcare with schools shut, etc).

Also, there are quite a few - whether they initially wanted to go on furlough or not - who now rather like being paid to do nothing and are in no hurry to go back.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
It wasn't, it was very pleasant. There were hardly any cars at all round here, and I found that those that were out were actually driving more slowly and carefully than usual.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



There was an insane number of myths about lockdown, including that one. The guidance did say once per day, but no time limit was placed, and indeed pretty much every day I was out for more than an hour, usually nearer two.

i often went out waking for 5 or 6 hours. Drove a short way to go for a walk which was also allowed. Some days I did 2 short walks, one morning, one later afternoon. All legal.
Think different outside England.
 

DB

Guest
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
5,036
why were you shut in 23 hrs a day? In England you always could exercise as often and as long as you wanted to.

That was one of many cases where the rules implied by the government were at variance with the actual rules, but a lot of people took it at face value.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
It was alright for those in secure , well paid jobs, who were either on furlough or still being paid to work from home, and who have gardens and adequately sized homes.

Lockdown is a luxury that is very much enjoyed by some middle class people, but is absolutely disastrous for many others.

Aren't you forgetting one important category there ?

Those of us who didn't have the luxury of working at home or being paid to sit on their backsides doing nothing !!

I wouldn't describe myself as middle class (at least not by current occupation) and I had a blast.

Traversing the country from St Andrews to Birmingham on a beautiful day with minimal traffic, empty service stations and the radio blasting - pure heaven.

Some of us aren't even getting a bonus for allegedly being exposed to the extra risks involved.;)
 

ar10642

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2015
Messages
576
why were you shut in 23 hrs a day? In England you always could exercise as often and as long as you wanted to.

In theory yes. I practice with the snitching and curtain twitching that was going on, no.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,694
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
That was one of many cases where the rules implied by the government were at variance with the actual rules, but a lot of people took it at face value.

The one hour thing came from the "slimy Gove" ("'twas brillig, and...") but came from a conversation that paraphrased went a bit like this, as he was pushed to give an answer by some TV journalist or other.

Journalist: How long can people go out for
Gove: As long as necessary, but stay local if you can
Journalist: But what does that mean
Gove: Just use a bit of common sense
Journalist: But there surely must be a definition of it
Gove: Well, I reckon about an hour for walking, or half an hour for cycling, but it'll depend on what you usually do

An awful lot of people seemed to think that constituted law. I think it's clear that not even Gove thought that.

In theory yes. I practice with the snitching and curtain twitching that was going on, no.

I don't think I saw a single Police Officer throughout. Maybe a car or two. Neighbourhood busybodies can think what they like.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Also, there are quite a few - whether they initially wanted to go on furlough or not - who now rather like being paid to do nothing and are in no hurry to go back.

This is the problem, it’s the above group who have spoiled it for everyone. I do sense furlough is increasingly becoming a pretty toxic concept now.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,694
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
This is the problem, it’s the above group who have spoiled it for everyone. I do sense furlough is increasingly becoming a pretty toxic concept now.

Well, who wouldn't be paid 80% of their wage to do what they felt like? Rather boring during lockdown, but in more normal times (including now)...
 

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2017
Messages
1,859
Location
Scotland
I agree with the majority views above - boring and didn't know what day it was. What was the point in getting out of bed?

If there was one part I liked... That'd be I could go into the local shop for a paper, for no more than 30 seconds without a face covering. But let's not go there in this thread ;)
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
I just hope those people who have lost their jobs or businesses haven't made it too unbearable for those having a bit of a lockdown jolly up....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top