I’ve just stumbled upon a series of videos on YouTube showing the goings on of the railway around Walsall from 1992 to 1995. Although I lived locally at the time, I don’t have many clear memories of railway and mainly of Centro livered 150’s from about 1995 onwards.
The earliest video from 1992 shows the Hednesford services being operated by 150’s and running as through services through platforms 1 & 2. This conflicts with what I’d previously thought about this service in the early 90’s. For some reason I thought the Walsall - Hednesford shuttle that started in 1989 stayed as just that with peak extras to Birmingham until the big timetable re-cast when Birmingham - Walsall went up to 4tph in September 1995.
Does anyone have an idea when this changed? The earliest timetable I can find on the Network Rail archive is May 1994 which shows a 2tph Birmingham - Walsall stopper at xx00 & xx30 from New Street, 1 tph was a 310 and the other was a 150, interworked with a Hednesford semi-fast at xx42 which ran non stop to Walsall. Southbound the non stop service started at Walsall and the Hednesford service was all stations.
Also, does anyone know when the 150’s replaced the first generation DMU’s in this area? I know there were some based at Tyseley until 1995, and I assumed they would have ran to Hednesford until the very end, but no evidence of this on YouTube.
The earliest video from 1992 shows the Hednesford services being operated by 150’s and running as through services through platforms 1 & 2. This conflicts with what I’d previously thought about this service in the early 90’s. For some reason I thought the Walsall - Hednesford shuttle that started in 1989 stayed as just that with peak extras to Birmingham until the big timetable re-cast when Birmingham - Walsall went up to 4tph in September 1995.
Does anyone have an idea when this changed? The earliest timetable I can find on the Network Rail archive is May 1994 which shows a 2tph Birmingham - Walsall stopper at xx00 & xx30 from New Street, 1 tph was a 310 and the other was a 150, interworked with a Hednesford semi-fast at xx42 which ran non stop to Walsall. Southbound the non stop service started at Walsall and the Hednesford service was all stations.
Also, does anyone know when the 150’s replaced the first generation DMU’s in this area? I know there were some based at Tyseley until 1995, and I assumed they would have ran to Hednesford until the very end, but no evidence of this on YouTube.
Last edited: