• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield: Your perception

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
I recently walked from Wakefield Kirkgate to the Premier Inn, and just about every road that I crossed had multiple lanes, but did not have any sign of a pedestrian crossing of any sort.

Not only that, but the Premier Inn itself had an unlit drive, no path at all.

Was I just unlucky, or is that typical of Wakefield? The impression I got was the town planners expect everyone to drive.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
That's what you get for using Kirkgate :P

As an aside, as I believe your visit to Kirkgate was lateish on and after dark, how did the station there feel as I may have a 30 min wait there at about 9pm fairly soon
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
It felt like a building site:lol: I was a bit disoriented as I got off!

I'll get another look in about half an hour ;)
 

shires666

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
60
Someone else on here who thinks its perfectly fine to slate someone else's home city! CHILD!
 

wbbminerals

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2010
Messages
312
To be fair, the journey taken by the OP is a difficult and awkward one, particularly so for people unfamiliar with the city. :(

The route I would have taken is straight on out of the station, pass the pizza shop, pass under the disused office building (on stilts) and walk through the subways to Wilkinsons. After this I would carry on up the shopping precinct until turning right up Sun Lane, which is the road that has a derelict cinema and a chippy at its junction. Follow this road until arrival at the Travelodge!

Before slagging off Wakefield I would suggest looking at Castleford. :lol:
 
Last edited:

Mr Spock

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2008
Messages
608
To be fair, the journey taken by the OP is a difficult and awkward one, particularly so for people unfamiliar with the city. :(

The route I would have taken is straight on out of the station, pass the pizza shop, pass under the disused office building (on stilts) and walk through the subways to Wilkinsons. After this I would carry on up the shopping precinct until turning right up Sun Lane, which is the road that has a derelict cinema and a chippy at its junction. Follow this road until arrival at the Travelodge!

Before slagging off Wakefield I would suggest looking at Castleford. :lol:

Not sure if they are close together but OP was going to the Premier Inn not the Travelodge.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,344
A lot of towns & cities seem badly organised for pedestrians, buses, & other road users.
e.g.

Pavements with fences in silly locations, trying to force you to walk much greater distances than necessary just to cross a road.

Subways that are disliked / avoided by many pedestrians, especially those subways designed to allow "undesirable / anti-social" types to remain hidden until you almost walk into them.

Traffic lights phased to cause maximum delay to both pedestrians & road traffic (and far too many lights anyway)
etc. etc.

Trouble is there are far too many control freaks in town halls & governments.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
To be fair, the journey taken by the OP is a difficult and awkward one, particularly so for people unfamiliar with the city. :(

The route I would have taken is straight on out of the station, pass the pizza shop, pass under the disused office building (on stilts) and walk through the subways to Wilkinsons. After this I would carry on up the shopping precinct until turning right up Sun Lane, which is the road that has a derelict cinema and a chippy at its junction. Follow this road until arrival at the Travelodge!

Before slagging off Wakefield I would suggest looking at Castleford. :lol:

I went from Wakefield to Castleford one day, JD Wetherspoon ticking when bored earlier this year. Just if you thought a town couldn't get any worse, Castleford was a shock. This is coming from someone whose been to most of the awful towns dotted around Greater Manchester.
 

youngboy

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
128
I did the Westgate run a few years ago, I thought that was great, from what I can remember :lol::lol:
 

Nick W

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2005
Messages
1,435
Location
Cambridge
It appears that the roads that Yorkie used existed by 1850 according to historic mapping. Though I'm sure those who could not afford a horse walked on the roads, I suspect the main purpose of Denby Dale Road was for long distance horse-drawn traffic while Ings road was for such traffic and others to bypass the busy streets of Wakefield, as well as provide access to the newly constructed property on that route.

I suspect that at the time, little thought was given to pedestrian traffic because the roads had very little property at the time and horse drawn traffic did not suffer excessive problems mixing with pedestrian traffic.

I suspect pavements were subsequently added to both roads at a later date, but cannot verify when. The public park housing the Premier Inn was constructed around the 1900s, and Denby Dale Road appears to have been widened with property added, so this may be when a pavement was constructed.

Both roads appear to have been widened to dual carriageway in the 1970s. I suspect Yorkie's legitimate complaint is with the dualing and lack of pedestrian crossings. I would agree that the post-war transport policy and urban planning, much of inspire by the 1960's Buchanan Report, was misguided and urban dual carriageways inspired by this should be redeveloped to better support pedestrians, cyclists and public transport uses. Installation of pedestrians crossings, as well as replacing roundabouts and subways with at-gate traffic light junctions play a part in this, as do bus lanes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For what it's worth, since people have commented on Wakefield, I think I'd add that it's a fine city which suffered mistreatment from (actual) Nazis following by unsympathetic demolition and somewhat misguided redevelopment. Many problems remain, but with state and private investment in the city, careful planning and good architecture, I believe the city can grow and prosper.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
As a resident of this city, I wondered what your perception of the place is (for those of you who have been).

Be honest, we can take it! :lol:
 

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
Improving. Trinity Walk is maturing and the Hepworth is outstanding. The new Nave of the Cathedral is worth a look too. Still some grotty bits though - between Trinity Walk and the main street isn't great, for example.

PS although I have a Wakefield postcode and phone number, I'm a Kirklees resident, so hopefully that makes me count as a visitor.
 

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
From the viewpoint of a Leeds born York resident, I think it's a nice little city with some funky modern architecture. Decent night out as well, from what I remember!
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Trinity Walk is good, and there are a lot of interesting shops. We have a lot of themed street markets too. Getting to just about anywhere in the country is easy too.

The downsides include a lot of empty shops, and those of the £ variety, and the fact that many people here like to decorate the streets in litter! :roll:
 

breadfan

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
235
Location
Oop north
Wakefield has been on my list of places to have a booze. The Red Shed sounds great.

I may get there next Tuesday as I am planning a day rover, staying at the Travelé l'odge next to Leeds Station.
 

ianhr

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2013
Messages
534
To be fair the area around Kirkgate station is probably the most run down part of Wakefield and now that, at last, something is being done about the station I hope some thought will be given to improving the routes to and from it. Wakefield has been badly damaged by its inner ring road. It has this in common with MANY other towns of similar size. These schemes may help to reduce traffic in the shopping areas but they are not pedestrian friendly, they cut off the centre from its natural hinterland and tend to result in desolate, windswept, litter strewn town centres after 5.30.p.m. There should be more to the life of a town than shops. Wakefield is not unique in being a victim of the town planners. Huddersfield has a very nice town centre with most of it's fine architecture intact but it's ring road is a monster!

Next time you are in Wakefield, if you enjoy good beer and good company try Fernandez Brewery. It is not far from Kirkgate Station but it takes a bit of finding!
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
To be fair the area around Kirkgate station is probably the most run down part of Wakefield and now that, at last, something is being done about the station I hope some thought will be given to improving the routes to and from it. Wakefield has been badly damaged by its inner ring road. It has this in common with MANY other towns of similar size. These schemes may help to reduce traffic in the shopping areas but they are not pedestrian friendly, they cut off the centre from its natural hinterland and tend to result in desolate, windswept, litter strewn town centres after 5.30.p.m. There should be more to the life of a town than shops. Wakefield is not unique in being a victim of the town planners. Huddersfield has a very nice town centre with most of it's fine architecture intact but it's ring road is a monster!

Next time you are in Wakefield, if you enjoy good beer and good company try Fernandez Brewery. It is not far from Kirkgate Station but it takes a bit of finding!

Fernandes is amazing! A real gem in Wakefield.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Wakefield has been suffering since William the Conqueror decided to exact his retribution on 1069/1070 by "The Harrying of the North" and Wakefield was so badly laid waste that no crops could be grown and harvested until 1079.

I've never visited Wakefield, but surely it can't be a bigger dump than Darlington :lol:
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Wakefield really ain't bad compared to a lot of places. Looks like Monaco compared to Burnley.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
I stayed at the travelodge there when I did a NE rover. I quite liked the place. A bit ropey round Kirkgate, but the centre was OK. The travelodge is well situated as well, being roughly equidistant from the 2 stations and with a 'spoons just round the corner for breakfast and a meal and a pint in the evening.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Would anyone watching Despatches on Channel Four the other night have inadvertently thought they had tuned into a programme about Wakefield when viewing the footage shot in North Korea :p
 

breadfan

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
235
Location
Oop north
Good butty shop near Westgate station (Cobblers?), the Elephant & Castle pub looks good from the outside. I only had twenty minutes but that's what I found.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top