Nobody else chooses to run DOO intercity services including on the most modern of trains.
.
Brighton-London
Cambridge-London
Oxford -London
Glasgow-Edinburgh
+ All HA2 domestic services
Good grief, I really can't stay away, can I?
I don't think any of them came under the BR Inter City profit centre at the time of privatisation, did they?
Good grief, I really can't stay away, can I?
We can ban you if you like?![]()
No they didn't at that particular period, but the Inter City classification has been applied to various different routes and services throughout various different periods in its history as many old maps will demonstrate
Brighton-London
Cambridge-London
Oxford -London
Peterborough-London
Colchester-London
Glasgow-Edinburgh
+ All HS2 domestic services
That's true, but since privatisation it's been generally accepted that inter city refers to those routes that were part of the IC profit centre under BR. I'm certain that's the deifnition being used here, so the Anglia main Line, Great Western and South Wales main lines, East Coast, West Coast and Midland main lines are included, but not routes like the South West Main Line, London to Brighton or London to Cambridge
Not intercity. The IC (ie non commuter) Peterborough, Oxford & Colchester-London trains are non-DOO. Only the commuter (slower) services are. Cambridge and Brighton to London are commuter services, not intercity. Glasgow-Edinburgh is not intercity except the EC services which are non DOO.
So providing route clearance and type training were in order, there would be very few issues If they started running IEPs in DOO mode tomorrow on any of the above routes as long as they replaced or supplemented an existing DMU or EMU diagram rather than an Inter City set?
DOO might be very marginally safer as the cameras will allow them to see down the platform as the train is pulling out
Won't the tech behind automatic SDO eventually, in the long term find its way onto every train and platform. Unless the cab door window can be slid down, isn't it the same saftey wise once the doors are closed for either guard operation or DOO as neither will be able to see down the train. DOO might be very marginally safer as the cameras will allow them to see down the platform as the train is pulling out
When I drove a 377 DOO (Which I disliked vs having a guard previously), the DOO cameras go off as soon as you start moving...
Neither Union wants that to happen. The issue is that there is an existing DOO operation within FGW, and little can realistically be done to reverse that. Some elements were the making of previous generations with different priorities; sadly that much has to be accepted. The concentration now is taking all channels to prevent it spreading any further.
No doubt the timing can be altered if necessary.
There is enough for a TM to do without bothering with doors.
As opposed to a driver, who has nothing to do?
Unless the cab door window can be slid down, isn't it the same saftey wise once the doors are closed for either guard operation or DOO as neither will be able to see down the train.