LowLevel - You've hit the nail exactly on the head there, dude/dudette.
Your train?? Exactly.
I had an issue the other day with a train that was being expressed due to late running from my home depot. Driver buzzes me up, "I dunno how you wanna do this, but there's no PIS code for this stopping pattern, so you'll have to make manual announcements as I've disabled the system"
Me: " NO worries, I'll deal with the inside of the train and the punters, you just stay awake and keep us pointed in the right direction"
Driver: "um, yeah, I'll do that, thanks mate"
He told me when we terminated in London that he'd had an issue with a Call for Aid in one of the toilets, and the Guard had had to be asked twice and then TOLD to reset it, then had to ask him how to reset it. After that, he said, he thought he better check that I was on the case!!!
There are plenty of occassions where a Guard is needed - that's a Guard, not a rent-a-cop with a PTS certificate. I was terminated short today, and required turning back at a major junction on a very main line. To perform the turnback, the driver needs to ensure that the rear is clear of the dummy that will be pulled off once the bobby has moved the points. Because I was there, and I "dinged" him once he was clear of the dummy and the AWS magnet, he knew damn well he was clear and would be able to do as instructed. Without me, he'd be guessing where he is, and possibly end up holding up the Slow Lines of the WCML while he changes ends again to move clear of the magnet he thought he was clear of.
These kind of things happen every day - every single day, one of us is needed to do something out of course. You want to come out of Euston on the 0034 on a friday night, 12 car, full of football fans?? No guard, and an out of course stop in the middle of nowhere to for the driver to reset a CFA or similar - no Guard letting you know why you've made this stop in the arse end of nowhere??
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
HH - if it was up to you, we'd already have had out PTS cards taken off us, and we'd be glorified ticket inspectors, right?? Problem with that being that my TOC, along with many others don't actually care about revenue to the point of employing people to collect it!!!!