Surely if you think services running where the guard remains in their back cab are that bad....
But I didn't ever say that. Some people appear to have been suggesting it's unsafe if there isn't a Guard to walk down the train, however I don't think that's a valid argument because if that was unsafe, then any train where the Guard stays in the cab is unsafe by their argument. Clearly that isn't the case.
But if you're asking me what most passengers prefer to see: a member of staff patrolling the train as on the Strathclyde electrics, or a Guard in the back cab, most will say the former. It's your right to prefer the latter, but we will have to agree to disagree.
I've said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again: I think there has been a misunderstanding. To clarify, I am absolutely
not criticising a Guard who stays in the rear cab nor am I saying it is unsafe in any way.
Just out of interest how do you know for a fact that these guards have remained in their back cabs .
Because I was sat in the rear coach.
There will be some times when because service is so busy I wont get the full way down the train because of the sheer number of passengers who are buying tickets or parts of the train are crowded with passengers standing so I cant get into them .
Absolutely, and I've explained this to people in the past.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's years since I saw a policeman walking down my street. Does this mean the police should be abolished as a waste of time?
No, but I don't think anyone is suggesting Guards should be abolished if they don't walk down trains? Some Guards have given good reasons why they should be retained and one of those is that they provide a staff presence in the passenger saloons. However that isn't a justification for keeping the Guard role, it is a justification for something different, which is having staff in passenger saloons, who may or may not be Guards.
The trains you seem to be obsessed about, Yorkie, did anything happen that the guard should have intervened with, but didn't?
If there is a guard on-board, they can intervene if required. If there is not, they can't. And the proposal as it stands will result in trains running without anybody on-board. And you are complaining on one hand about nobody passing through the train, but saying on the other hand trains where this is the norm is acceptable. Make your mind up.
I am not complaining about that; you're imagining that. But others have tried to suggest it's unsafe if there isn't a Guard patrolling the train. I am pointing out that having a Guard doesn't guarantee they will patrol the train.
Nowhere in the proposal is there any mention of any penalty a la Strathclyde that the TOC will suffer any penalty for running trains with no staff on-board.
Well, there should be. If you campaign for that, I'd support you totally in that campaign.
Also, there is no mention of what level of training and knowledge that member of staff will have. It could be somebody from an Agency who has never set foot on a train before. Would this be acceptable?
I don't ever think agency staff are acceptable in customer facing roles, no. The Strathclyde electrics, and on-board Southeastern HS1 are examples of what DOO should be like, rather than having just a driver on board, in my opinion.