• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTWC voyager with 2 shops & should it be swapped with XC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil from Mon

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2014
Messages
406
Location
Beaumaris, Ynys Môn
I was on the 1857 Crewe (1710 from London) to Bangor yesterday and sat in coach C. I thought it unusual that the 3 bays to the coach D end were all tables, but was aware the was some refurbishment going on in voyagers.

Only when I stood up to leave did I notice an out-of-use shop at the opposite end, and every bay was a table, obviously this was usually coach D in another set. Unfortunately I didn't get the set number, but I haven't heard of or seen this before. I assume it is a bit unusual to say the least.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,218
I was on the 1857 Crewe (1710 from London) to Bangor yesterday and sat in coach C. I thought it unusual that the 3 bays to the coach D end were all tables, but was aware the was some refurbishment going on in voyagers.

Only when I stood up to leave did I notice an out-of-use shop at the opposite end, and every bay was a table, obviously this was usually coach D in another set. Unfortunately I didn't get the set number, but I haven't heard of or seen this before. I assume it is a bit unusual to say the least.

It's unique!

It's the set which uses the spare shop carriage from 221144 (221143?).
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Four of the fourty four class 221s (221141-221144) were built as four car units, rather than the five cars all the other sets have. 221144 was split up to provide a standard five car fleet on West Coast services. I believe 221142 received the non-buffet car while 221143 received the buffet car. The two driving cars from 221144 are apparently at Central Rivers depot. 221141 is a Cross Country unit and remains four car.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,706
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
The last bit of the story is that the two spare coaches from 221144 are going to XC to make 2 x 5-car into 3 x 4-car.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's unique!

It's the set which uses the spare shop carriage from 221144 (221143?).

Not only does it have two shops, but it also has two all-tables coaches, which makes it quite well-liked by passengers when it turns up.
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
Not only does it have two shops, but it also has two all-tables coaches, which makes it quite well-liked by passengers when it turns up.

Probably the only train in Virgin's fleet which has a greater window seat to wall seat ratio
 

Phil from Mon

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2014
Messages
406
Location
Beaumaris, Ynys Môn
Thanks for the info guys.

Not only does it have two shops, but it also has two all-tables coaches, which makes it quite well-liked by passengers when it turns up.

Given I have made regular journeys North Wales to London, and also Edinburgh and Birmingham, since Voyagers first appeared I'm amazed I've never seen it before.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
....Given I have made regular journeys North Wales to London, and also Edinburgh and Birmingham, since Voyagers first appeared I'm amazed I've never seen it before.

The units were reformed in late 2010 and that unit is unique amongst the 20 Voyagers in the West Coast fleet.
 

Jd12

Member
Joined
26 Apr 2015
Messages
31
This set will be losing its 2 shops at some point as when 144 is reformed it'll have its original coaches put back in (after being rewired). As the original coaches out of 144 are still in service they have to go back to their original formations. Cross Country are going to donate 2 coaches out of 2 of their 5 cars to make 142 & 143 back up to 5 coaches.
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
This set will be losing its 2 shops at some point as when 144 is reformed it'll have its original coaches put back in (after being rewired). As the original coaches out of 144 are still in service they have to go back to their original formations. Cross Country are going to donate 2 coaches out of 2 of their 5 cars to make 142 & 143 back up to 5 coaches.

Is this definitely happening now? They have talked about doing it since 2011 but never actually done it. :p do you have Any idea about timescale?

Adam :p
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
This set will be losing its 2 shops at some point as when 144 is reformed it'll have its original coaches put back in (after being rewired). As the original coaches out of 144 are still in service they have to go back to their original formations. Cross Country are going to donate 2 coaches out of 2 of their 5 cars to make 142 & 143 back up to 5 coaches.

That sounds very costly and inefficient, I would despair at the railway if that really happens.

Simpler would be to refit the two driving coaches to Cross Country standard, disable or replaced the tilt equipment and stick a few vinyls on the outside, just as Cross Country did with the rest of their 221s, then take a vehicle out of two of their 5-car 221s and place them between the two 'new' driving cars.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
As mentioned regarding some comments of extra 4 car Voyagers in the present "Arriva Crosscountry contract extended through to October 2019" thread
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=136160

In regards to 221144, would an idea be for VTWC to put it back how it was before (with the other 2 former 4 car 221s), and swap those three for the same number of ICXC's Class 221 5 car sets?
 

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2014
Messages
2,567
As above. All this would accomplish is a mismatch of coaches across two different operators. Although unlikely, I think it is more likely the operators swap units.
Thanks,
Ross
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Cross Country would only need to give up two units, but I think that idea is a non-starter personally.

You have to swap the tilt equipment over, swap the seats over, apply 'new' liveries to all five units, probably more besides, and what exactly would operate the services while these units are out of action?
 

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,581
In a parallel universe 221119/221120 work for VTWC as 5-car units and 221142/221143/221144 work for XC as 4-car units.
 

Jd12

Member
Joined
26 Apr 2015
Messages
31
Yrs this is happening. This protect will be complete by December 2017. It is highly inefficient. But as the original coaches from 144 are still in service they must be reformed rather than 2 donor coaches put in their space.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top